Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Well, I'm better now since I have a Volt to drive with ACC, but it's a 2017 California car, which means it's HOV sticker already expired.:frown2:

The I-Pace is perhaps the world's best car for urban driving, but maybe the worst trained service departments in the US. As as I mentioned, I never was concerned about servicing a car until October 2019. And that's a lot of cars, trucks, and motorcycles.

Reactions: Deutsch100

·
Premium Member
1,162 Posts
So far, it took 5 days for JLR NA to contact me, then only to tell me somebody would call me at some unspecified time in the future. I believe my car is in Cerritos, Calif, but have not been contacted in a week. I drove down last week with the second key, and emptied the car. The backseat and underhood cover were removed, and the car was sitting outside.

I did contact an attorney, but he didn't want my money. He said wait at least 30 days more (so >90 days out of service in 13 months).

I might just buy another car while I'm waiting, it could be a very long time I think.
It took me 4 phone calls, 1 email and about 10 days from start to finish.

The first phone call she took my info, asked a few questions, including what it would take to make me satisfied and then assigned me a case manager who would call me within 1-2 days. Day 3 I called back and got the name/number of my case manager as he had not called. I called him and after a few questions he said he would get back to me in 2-3 days I asked him to send me an email, which he promptly did. Day 4 without a call, I sent him an email. He called me within 10 minutes. I was then told to contact the dealer to make final arrangements. Couldn’t have been easier.

·
Registered
108 Posts
After a year of constant frustration with the battery reading jumping all over the place I contacted Jaguar corporate after the 4th time in the service department at 2 dealerships. With very little effort on my part except a couple phone calls and emails, Jaguar corporate is buying back my car pursuant to the California Song Beverly Warranty Act, aka the lemon law. Could not have been kinder. Kudos to JAGUAR for stepping u! I just leased another IPACE as it is my favorite car and yes, electric only is the way I roll. Consider contacting corporate . . . Good luck!
I also have been quickly escalated to a buyback review from dealing with corporate. I left them a bad review when they asked for feedback and now they have been shockingly attentive, especially considering the dealership hasn't actually done anything with the car in the 2 weeks they've had it.

Hopefully they follow through quickly.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I also have been quickly escalated to a buyback review from dealing with corporate. I left them a bad review when they asked for feedback and now they have been shockingly attentive, especially considering the dealership hasn't actually done anything with the car in the 2 weeks they've had it.

The differences in dealerships and the level of I-Pace knowledge is astonishing. I understand they are all independent ownership groups, but some dealers are really killing the reputation of this first model year EV. It's unfortunate that you had to use the Social Media option to get attention, but at least you are finally getting results. Thanks for keeping us posted.

Reactions: Deutsch100

·
Registered
39 Posts

Where did you leave the review? I’m hoping that the process will go smoothly but am starting to explore leverage options if it comes to that.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I bought my I-PACE in February and have put about 6k miles on it so far. It's performed flawlessly, with only a couple of visits to the service center to apply the warranty fixes for the regen brake failover and the frunk latch (neither of which were actually causing me any problems). So far it's been a night-and-day experience vs. how things went with my 2016 Tesla Model X. Average yearly depreciation on the Tesla ended up being $13k. I'm seeing some indications that my Jaguar I-PACE will end up suffering a similar fate -- maybe $10k/year depreciation.

My track record with cars is to trade-up every 3 years, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this one lasts another 2 without any hiccups. The next thing on my radar is the Polestar 2. And when it comes to EVs, I think I'll just be leasing from here on out. I prefer to get slapped in the face with the residual from the get-go.

·
Premium Member
1,162 Posts
I'm seeing some indications that my Jaguar I-PACE will end up suffering a similar fate -- maybe $10k/year depreciation.
With new cars getting discounts of $15k plus and used ones being sold at auction in the mid to high $50k range ($30k plus off MSRP), it is incredibly optimistic to think you will only have a $10k/year depreciation. maybe year 2 and 3 will have minimal additional drops....good luck with that.

·
Registered
67 Posts
With new cars getting discounts of $15k plus and used ones being sold at auction in the mid to high $50k range ($30k plus off MSRP), it is incredibly optimistic to think you will only have a $10k/year depreciation. maybe year 2 and 3 will have minimal additional drops....good luck with that.
Somehow I just don't imagine a low mileage 2019 I-PACE going for 35-40k in 2022. I could be proven wrong, but that doesn't seem plausible to me.

Regardless, I dodged the allure of a "fully loaded" Model X P100D in 2016. My eyes water when I see the depreciation that those people were hit with.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Somehow I just don't imagine a low mileage 2019 I-PACE going for 35-40k in 2022. I could be proven wrong, but that doesn't seem plausible to me.

Regardless, I dodged the allure of a "fully loaded" Model X P100D in 2016. My eyes water when I see the depreciation that those people were hit with.
An HSE in perfect condition, with 4500 miles sold for $44,500 at auction at the end of October
On average thru sell in the mid $50ks

I tell people to lease as a hedge for depreciation.

Tesla is the worst with depreciation. Used car prices factor in parts and service. We know how great Tesla is with parts and service

·
Registered
67 Posts
An HSE in perfect condition, with 4500 miles sold for $44,500 at auction at the end of October
I wish I had known about that auction. I would have offered $60k. But that's the problem with auction prices -- they don't represent an efficient market price because people like me who greatly value an EV Jag don't have access to the auction. There are practicalities like whether I'm constantly searching for I-PACEs at various auctions.

For my specific year and trim/build, Kelley Blue Book reports that average new price is about $7k less than MSRP at the moment. I got mine for $3k below MSRP back in February when it was pretty fresh on the market. For a new car, the data shows that I paid about $4k more than market average so I could get it 10 months ago. The cheapest used I-PACEs I can find within a 200-mile radius of my house are listed at $5k more than I paid for mine (after incentives).

The cheapest I-PACE with equivalent build/trim and mileage to mine on Autotrader is listed at $9k less than what I paid for mine. For sellers half way across the country from where I live.

I just don't see the supposed massive drop in value in the first year. I'm still sticking with my $10k/year depreciation expectation for the next 2 years.

·
Premium Member
1,162 Posts
I wish I had known about that auction. I would have offered $60k. But that's the problem with auction prices -- they don't represent an efficient market price because people like me who greatly value an EV Jag don't have access to the auction. There are practicalities like whether I'm constantly searching for I-PACEs at various auctions.

For my specific year and trim/build, Kelley Blue Book reports that average new price is about $7k less than MSRP at the moment. I got mine for $3k below MSRP back in February when it was pretty fresh on the market. For a new car, the data shows that I paid about $4k more than market average so I could get it 10 months ago. The cheapest used I-PACEs I can find within a 200-mile radius of my house are listed at $5k more than I paid for mine (after incentives).

The cheapest I-PACE with equivalent build/trim and mileage to mine on Autotrader is listed at $9k less than what I paid for mine. For sellers half way across the country from where I live.

I just don't see the supposed massive drop in value in the first year. I'm still sticking with my $10k/year depreciation expectation for the next 2 years.
KBB doesn’t come close to represent True market value for most cars. Your car is worth as much as you want it to be worth until you try to sell it, then it is only worth what someone is willing to pay.

Hard for me to reconcile your belief your car has only depreciated $7k when dealers are advertising $15-$20k off MSRP for new 2019s. But hey, if you can actually achieve that, more power to you. You have sales skills that are truly enviable. Last May (when my car was 6 months old) I was given offers of $58k and & $62k (my MSRP was $88k)...both a bit more than $10k off MSRP...

·
Registered
17 Posts

KBB doesn’t come close to represent True market value for most cars. Your car is worth as much as you want it to be worth until you try to sell it, then it is only worth what someone is willing to pay.

Hard for me to reconcile your belief your car has only depreciated $7k when dealers are advertising $15-$20k off MSRP for new 2019s. But hey, if you can actually achieve that, more power to you. You have sales skills that are truly enviable. Last May (when my car was 6 months old) I was given offers of $58k and & $62k (my MSRP was $88k)...both a bit more than $10k off MSRP...
Dantrium, can i ask; why were you looking for offers for a 6 month old I-Pace from dealerships? And wow they were seriously lowballing you! Or...is that the actual market value now? 39k/88k means 34% depreciation in 6 months. That is insane!

·
Premium Member
1,162 Posts
Dantrium, can i ask; why were you looking for offers for a 6 month old I-Pace from dealerships? And wow they were seriously lowballing you! Or...is that the actual market value now? 39k/88k means 34% depreciation in 6 months. That is insane!

Why did I consider selling so soon? The car just didn't fit my lifestyle/requirements. I often drive 250+ miles, usually with little advance notice and I don't have the time or patience to spend 2+ hours 'filling up' every 3 hours or so. If there were DC chargers every 50-100 miles it would be a slightly more manageable, but the reality is there are no current BEV's/fast charging network that fits my needs/desires. I was naive to this; or more accurately ignored the obvious and made the purchase with my heart vs. my head.

With the lots brimming with slow moving I-Paces, the market for used I-Paces just wasn't there (& still isn't), so I don't think it was a matter of low-balling, but just the reality of the market. In February (the car was <2 months old) a user on this forum made me a purchase offer of $67k, $21k below MSRP. so the offers I received 3 months later from wholesalers seem to be inline. Auction prices support those price points as well.

I also wouldn't judge the market value of the car by what it is listed at - just because they list it at a price, doesn't mean they are selling at that price! It doesn't serve the dealer or brand well to publicly post fire sale pricing because how it impacts new car sales. A lot of people do not look at the depreciation, but it sure would bring it into focus if you are trying to sell a new car with a MSRP of $90k, and on the same lot there sits the identical car with 1000 miles listed at $60k...

Right now cars.com gives a range for a fully loaded First Edition to be between $56-$61k retail and $49-$59k wholesale. I just checked the dealer that currently owns my I-Pace, it has 10,471 miles on it and has been sitting on the lot for sale since August. They just recently dropped the price from $74999 to $71999, but they are obviously not realistically expecting it to sell, as they have the identical car (Photon Red FE, but with Ebony interior - also a used, non-CPO) with only 705 miles, listed at $61999 and has been on their lot since spring (another owner return, but he took a bath on his regretful purchase). That car is listed at a more realistic price point, However, if you can drive a loaded FE with 0 miles off the lot for ~$20k off MSRP + the $7500 tax credit (effective purchase price of ~$61k) why would you even consider a used one? Unless it was CPO, I wouldn't buy used versus new to only save a couple thousand dollars!

For those owners thinking they can sell their 2019 I-Pace for $10-$13k off MSRP, I wish you all the luck in the world, but I fail to understand how that could possibly happen. There is no shortage of available cars. There are 83 FE's still listed for sale new in the USA, 13 months after they officially began selling them. JLR cannot afford to keep them around forever, but they also will be careful about publicly posting a realistic sell price too. Walk into the dealer with one of those cars and offer them $20k less than MSRP in cash & I bet they don't say no...

·
Registered
125 Posts

Why did I consider selling so soon? The car just didn't fit my lifestyle/requirements. I often drive 250+ miles, usually with little advance notice and I don't have the time or patience to spend 2+ hours 'filling up' every 3 hours or so. If there were DC chargers every 50-100 miles it would be a slightly more manageable, but the reality is there are no current BEV's/fast charging network that fits my needs/desires. I was naive to this; or more accurately ignored the obvious and made the purchase with my heart vs. my head.

With the lots brimming with slow moving I-Paces, the market for used I-Paces just wasn't there (& still isn't), so I don't think it was a matter of low-balling, but just the reality of the market. In February (the car was <2 months old) a user on this forum made me a purchase offer of $67k, $21k below MSRP. so the offers I received 3 months later from wholesalers seem to be inline. Auction prices support those price points as well.

I also wouldn't judge the market value of the car by what it is listed at - just because they list it at a price, doesn't mean they are selling at that price! It doesn't serve the dealer or brand well to publicly post fire sale pricing because how it impacts new car sales. A lot of people do not look at the depreciation, but it sure would bring it into focus if you are trying to sell a new car with a MSRP of $90k, and on the same lot there sits the identical car with 1000 miles listed at $60k...

Right now cars.com gives a range for a fully loaded First Edition to be between $56-$61k retail and $49-$59k wholesale. I just checked the dealer that currently owns my I-Pace, it has 10,471 miles on it and has been sitting on the lot for sale since August. They just recently dropped the price from $74999 to $71999, but they are obviously not realistically expecting it to sell, as they have the identical car (Photon Red FE, but with Ebony interior - also a used, non-CPO) with only 705 miles, listed at $61999 and has been on their lot since spring (another owner return, but he took a bath on his regretful purchase). That car is listed at a more realistic price point, However, if you can drive a loaded FE with 0 miles off the lot for ~$20k off MSRP + the $7500 tax credit (effective purchase price of ~$61k) why would you even consider a used one? Unless it was CPO, I wouldn't buy used versus new to only save a couple thousand dollars!

For those owners thinking they can sell their 2019 I-Pace for $10-$13k off MSRP, I wish you all the luck in the world, but I fail to understand how that could possibly happen. There is no shortage of available cars. There are 83 FE's still listed for sale new in the USA, 13 months after they officially began selling them. JLR cannot afford to keep them around forever, but they also will be careful about publicly posting a realistic sell price too. Walk into the dealer with one of those cars and offer them $20k less than MSRP in cash & I bet they don't say no...
Well, the updates are making the car better and better. few people that I know as well as myself , love it and experience only minor issues that is common with other brands too. It seems to me that people have not been on forums of other EV cars to see massive problems they have. I think ipace may had issues one year ago but is getting pretty solid now once all campaigns are applied.

Yes , jaguar resell value is low so it's best to lease (good lease). But that is a brand and demand issue not a car issue.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 · (Edited)
Update: Still no word from JLR NA. Still no word from dealer. 5 calls to each. After I checked back through the paperwork, the car has been into service 4 times with the Traction Battery Fault, 3 written by JLR, 1 mistyped by JLR as Traction Control. Out of service about 80 days in 13 months. AFAIK, nobody knows what's wrong with the car yet.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Update: Still no word from JLR NA. Still no word from dealer. 5 calls to each. After I checked back through the paperwork, the car has been into service 4 times with the Traction Battery Fault, 3 written by JLR, 1 mistyped by JLR as Traction Control. Out of service about 80 days in 13 months.

Whats your next move? Did the dealer give you a loaner?

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Whats your next move? Did the dealer give you a loaner?
I was given a Ford F-150 RWD 5' bed as a loaner. I've put >1500 miles on it and >$300 in gas. I can't use the HOV or Fastrak lanes with it so it has cost me dozens of hours of lost time in traffic.
This is nuts. :frown2:

They really should keep me in the loop.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I was given a Ford F-150 RWD 5' bed as a loaner. I've put >1500 miles on it and >$300 in gas. I can't use the HOV or Fastrak lanes with it so it has cost me dozens of hours of lost time in traffic.

You paid for a $90k luxury EV and they gave you that? My car is at Anaheim now and service is not good at even answering the calls. Any complaint I have,they make me seem as if I'm crazy or just too picky.

Sorry for your troubles, but they are almost forcing you to bring out the big guns

Reactions: McRat

·
Super Moderator
2,617 Posts
Update: Still no word from JLR NA. Still no word from dealer. 5 calls to each. After I checked back through the paperwork, the car has been into service 4 times with the Traction Battery Fault, 3 written by JLR, 1 mistyped by JLR as Traction Control. Out of service about 80 days in 13 months. AFAIK, nobody knows what's wrong with the car yet.

Wow. This is really bad. I put 3000 miles on my loaner, >$500 in gas; fortunately I don't have to commute much. Initially JLR was responsive but I haven't heard back in a couple of weeks while "my case is under review". They're stretching everyone's patience and come new year I'll get a lawyer to accelerate the process if necessary. I hope you have a good relationship with your service/dealer, but I can see how the frustration with them and JLR might make that very difficult.

·
Premium Member
1,162 Posts
Very disappointing to say the least. I would have expected them to be much better.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts