Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
One of the "older" users here. 13,580 miles since taking delivery January 15, 2019. After 3 accidents repaired and a blank screen first day of delivery, really no problems other than software bugs/glitches (knock on wood). In hindsight kinda wished I gotten some of the nice features such as power tailgate and steering assist in cruise control.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
We had an issue with the lane keeping not working... because the cameras were covered with filth. Not really a problem. :)

I do love this car. It's just an amazing vehicle. I can't think of another I'd want more. I can think of how it could be better, but no other reaches its level. Miles will be 012345 later today.
And that's what really sucks. What could I buy to match the I-Pace? There is nothing that fits my needs better today. I do not regret my purchase at all, but I don't have an EV to drive today since my kids took the others. I hate driving ICE vehicles now.

I've never dealt with poor service infrastructure in the past. I used to diagnose my own cars, and fix them when dealers struggled. I can't with the I-Pace. Even using two dealerships, neither can even understand the problem. When I showed them a picture of Traction Battery Fault on the instrument cluster, they wrote: "Traction Control problem". When I told them the power fell to nearly zero when I was driving at 80 mph with 50% SOC, they said, "Charging Problem".

ARRGGHHH!!!! :grin2:

·
Super Moderator
2,617 Posts
When I showed them a picture of Traction Battery Fault on the instrument cluster, they wrote: "Traction Control problem". When I told them the power fell to nearly zero when I was driving at 80 mph with 50% SOC, they said, "Charging Problem".
That's completely insane. Words fail.

·
Registered
108 Posts
That's completely insane. Words fail.
This has been my experience as well.

"The battery is only reaching 55 KWH capacity." Got it, battery is draining.

"No, the battery only has 55 KWH." Oh, okay, so your range meter isn't working.

"THE. BATTERY. ONLY. HAS. A CAPACITY. OF. 55. KWH. IT'S. LIKE. GALLONS. IN. A. GAS. TANK." OH! Got'cha!

-2 weeks later-

Okay, your battery is fixed! We got the range meter up to 220 miles! "What is the KWH capacity?" What's a Kilowatt Hour?

I **** you not this is nearly verbatim my experience. This is including 5 calls with actual JLRNA reps, not just the dealership.

I don't know where JLR got the software for the iPace platform but it's garbage. The iPace is the epitome of a car that was rushed out just to get tax credits. It's an absolute fluke that the designers happened to do such a good job, but unfortunately it's mated to garbage software and zero support from JLR. I get the feeling JLR feels like they did well enough with the iPace and isn't willing to invest more money into it. I can tell you that the multiple reps that have been calling me nearly every day (apparently complaining really got JLR's attention) have indicated these problems are much more widespread than just reported on this forum.

I have a morbid curiosity to see how these cars age, because I believe it will be extremely poorly. I don't think there is a fix for the underlying software, short of starting from scratch.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
Sidebar: I'm trading my daughter her Volt for the rental Ford F-150. She was driving the Ford today and said, "Ugghh! What's all this gearshift crap? I can't tell when the truck is going to move or not move when I press the peddle." She's 21 and has never even driven a car with a transmission before. I said, "Imagine how I feel. Not only is this irritating to drive, but it's painfully slow to boot!".

·
Registered
245 Posts
I went through similar experience with BMW NA during the 535 high pressure fuel pump epidemic (eventual lemon buy-back). Absolutely feel your pain. . . cannot believe I'm seeing it again with an EV (though new model) . . . I suppose I'd again look at the M3 and wait for Rivian to deliver; but otherwise, not sure. ICE suck.

·
Registered
2019 Jaguar i-Pace HSE
353 Posts
What's annoying is it isn't hard to implement a ring buffer in memory to record the last X events, and if a fault is detected to write the entire buffer to persistent storage. Telemetry is so important, especially for new code and hardware, and that they aren't collecting it (or at least haven't provided a way for dealerships to extract it if they are) is really frustrating.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I’m in a very similar situation. I’ve had he same error and recently got the car back after being at the dealership for a month. They couldn’t figure out the problem or reproduce it so they updated the software and gave it back to me. Happened again 5 days ago. Back at the dealership and they can’t reproduce the problem. They said that they are now doing “hot spot” tests that Jaguar recommended. Mine lost all power while driving on a busy road, so I dont feel safe driving it anymore. I contacted a lawyer today to peruse a buyback using the California lemon law. Definitely a shame because the car had really grown on me.

·
Premium Member
2020 I-Pace HSE Indus Silver
750 Posts
I’m in a very similar situation. I’ve had he same error and recently got the car back after being at the dealership for a month. They couldn’t figure out the problem or reproduce it so they updated the software and gave it back to me. Happened again 5 days ago. Back at the dealership and they can’t reproduce the problem. They said that they are now doing “hot spot” tests that Jaguar recommended. Mine lost all power while driving on a busy road, so I dont feel safe driving it anymore. I contacted a lawyer today to peruse a buyback using the California lemon law. Definitely a shame because the car had really grown on me.
So sad to hear this. I am so sorry. I just came out of a buyback on my BMW i3S. I know how frustrated you are. My god, I'm crossing everything hoping my new I-Pace is good.

I got really teased by family & friends......"You're getting out of a problematic BMW that was bought back, and you go and get a Jaguar"!!!!! LOL

·
Registered
17 Posts
Battery Issue - Jaguar Corporate Buy Back

After a year of constant frustration with the battery reading jumping all over the place I contacted Jaguar corporate after the 4th time in the service department at 2 dealerships. With very little effort on my part except a couple phone calls and emails, Jaguar corporate is buying back my car pursuant to the California Song Beverly Warranty Act, aka the lemon law. Could not have been kinder. Kudos to JAGUAR for stepping u! I just leased another IPACE as it is my favorite car and yes, electric only is the way I roll. Consider contacting corporate . . . Good luck!

·
Registered
245 Posts
[I got really teased by family & friends......"You're getting out of a problematic BMW that was bought back, and you go and get a Jaguar"!!!!! LOL[/QUOTE]

That's what my brother said to me!!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
You may not need a lawyer if you contact Jaguar corporate. While my husband and I are both lawyers we didn’t use that or threaten legal action. Try the nice way first - it worked very well and we are super satisfied with corporate. Service department may be another story.

·
Registered
711 Posts
So sad to hear this. I am so sorry. I just came out of a buyback on my BMW i3S. I know how frustrated you are. My god, I'm crossing everything hoping my new I-Pace is good.

I got really teased by family & friends......"You're getting out of a problematic BMW that was bought back, and you go and get a Jaguar"!!!!! LOL
We, literally, had a 2002 S-Type died on us, when I put a deposit down for the I-PACE in July 2018. I guess I am glutton for punishment, but I figure, this vehicle is made by Magna Steyr in Austria, the same contract manufacturer for MB G-Class, BMW 5-Series, Z4 and new Toyota Supra. So it's not assembled in the UK.

·
Super Moderator
2,617 Posts
You may not need a lawyer if you contact Jaguar corporate. While my husband and I are both lawyers we didn’t use that or threaten legal action. Try the nice way first - it worked very well and we are super satisfied with corporate. Service department may be another story.
I am encouraged by your experience. So far the few who have pursued buybacks have had a fairly painless experience. I'm hoping for one myself.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My buyback was relatively painless once it became clear the vehicle was not repairable (at least not without significant wait for new software updates). I did contact an attorney but that ended up being unnecessary. The entire process was handled by the dealership staff, primarily the Service Manager, after a frustrating and downright rude conversation with JLRNA. I can't say enough good things about how my case was handled by dealership staff.

·
Premium Member
1,162 Posts
I second this. JLR NA was great. It appears those user that immediately ‘lawyered up’ and threatened had a more painful, slower process to resolution.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
So far, it took 5 days for JLR NA to contact me, then only to tell me somebody would call me at some unspecified time in the future. I believe my car is in Cerritos, Calif, but have not been contacted in a week. I drove down last week with the second key, and emptied the car. The backseat and underhood cover were removed, and the car was sitting outside.

I did contact an attorney, but he didn't want my money. He said wait at least 30 days more (so >90 days out of service in 13 months).

I might just buy another car while I'm waiting, it could be a very long time I think.

·
Registered
711 Posts
So far, it took 5 days for JLR NA to contact me, then only to tell me somebody would call me at some unspecified time in the future. I believe my car is in Cerritos, Calif, but have not been contacted in a week. I drove down last week with the second key, and emptied the car. The backseat and underhood cover were removed, and the car was sitting outside.

I did contact an attorney, but he didn't want my money. He said wait at least 30 days more (so >90 days out of service in 13 months).

I might just buy another car while I'm waiting, it could be a very long time I think.
Penske/Cerritos is the dealer I bought my I-PACE from and use for service. So far, I believe they are competent.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Penske/Cerritos is the dealer I bought my I-PACE from and use for service. So far, I believe they are competent.
Hopefully. Anaheim JLR told me they had an ex-Tesla guy working on my car. He said the problem was that I plugged my car into a Supercharger using the Tesla>J1772 adapter I had in the car for emergencies. Wow, now I know why he left Tesla, it probably was not his decision. :grin2:

(for those who don't know, a Tesla>J1772 adapter will not work on a Supercharger or any kind of DCFC at all for lots of reasons, including mechanical reasons and no wires for it. He was so far off base as to be comical.)

·
Super Moderator
2,617 Posts
Hopefully. Anaheim JLR told me they had an ex-Tesla guy working on my car. He said the problem was that I plugged my car into a Supercharger using the Tesla>J1772 adapter I had in the car for emergencies. Wow, now I know why he left Tesla, it probably was not his decision. :grin2:

(for those who don't know, a Tesla>J1772 adapter will not work on a Supercharger or any kind of DCFC at all for lots of reasons, including mechanical reasons and no wires for it. He was so far off base as to be comical.)
>sigh<

21 - 40 of 70 Posts