Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've brought my I-pace into the dealer 3 times for "Traction Battery Fault".
First time at 1k mi, they said nothing was wrong, and I saw the error a few more times and didn't worry about it.
Then at >15k mi, it kicked the "Traction Battery Fault" and reduced power so low that I was capped at under 30 mph.
I brought it in, they had it 2 weeks, and said nothing was wrong.
Then in under a week, it refused to move with "Traction Battery Fault".
After 30 days in the shop, they called and said they must ship the car out to have it worked on.
It has 16k miles and 13 month of ownership, and 2 months in service total.

I am waiting for feedback from JLR NA, but I have no confidence in their service depts. I don't think they have a robust troubleshooting system for the I-Pace. Arrgghh.

I think I'm going to force a buy back, since I cannot get a replacement for a Photon Red FE, and my faith in reliability is shaken.

It was my favorite car of all time, so this is really tough. I've never lemon'd a car. The car is excellent, the service is not.

Reactions: ELO and phil

·
Registered
199 Posts
Dang, so sorry to hear about the problems your I-Pace is experiencing. Shipping your I-Pace out, implies JLR has a manufacturer’s shop somewhere in the US. At the very least your vehicle will give their techs some diagnostic experience, which they will share with all dealers. Hope it all works out in your favor.

·
Registered
108 Posts
This sucks and I'm sorry.

The most frustrating part about these problems is, as you mentioned, JLR seems to just be winging it with the iPace. They deny and deny a problem exists, probably because they don't understand the car well enough, until you shove it in their face enough. When they finally admit there's a problem they don't have a solution and want to avoid dealing with or helping you.

Is it normal for completely new cars to have some issues? Yes. Is it normal for the dealerships & manufacturer of said car be utterly confused and give terrible customer service when the issues pop up? No.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Before pulling the trigger on the I-Pace, all I did was read this nightmare stories about the car.
I came in with expectations set that this car will probably have to be eventually lemoned out, it will have flaws & it's not a car that should be used for more than 3 years.
I've had my car for 2 weeks, it has 1k miles on it, I have a few problems that I went to the dealer for already (Newport Beach) and they are already telling me JLR won't approve these.
I have lawyers in my family ready go on this

E-Tron is having problems, Tesla is mess with no recourse. Unfortunately this is the state of EVs for now.

I've already speced out my next I-Pace when JLR decides to get cute

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
So sorry to hear, I have a question. Is the concern THIS repair or are you thinking you will have other issues and have to suffer through it again?

·
Registered
556 Posts
McRat, very sorry and disappointing (for all owners) to read of your continued - and now showstopper - problem(s). However, this is what Lemon Laws are made for. JLR's ingorance, arrogance, and or defiance in the face of truly faulty build is the real issue. Not sure what the AZ Lemon laws are but 2 months in service out of 13 should qualify (in FL its 30 days). Again, most of us (I knock on wood as I say this) have been relatively trouble-free. If this happened to me I'd kick, scream, lawyer up if needed to achieve buyback, but I'd probably go get another I-Pace. (Especially now that the EQC was postponed to 2021 in the U.S., and e-Tron seems to have more (serious) problems than the I-Pace!). When your iPhone suddenly dies just out of warranty do you give up on Apple? Unfortunately we're talking about a 100x cost item. You can demand a loaner and it appears that the JaguarUSA website still allows FE orders?!? Unfortunately a snap of the fingers won't make it happen. It will take some real time and dirtywork. Whatever you decide, I appreciate your insighful and plentiful contributions to this forum over the past year and some...

·
Super Moderator
1,162 Posts
I think I'm going to force a buy back, since I cannot get a replacement for a Photon Red FE, and my faith in reliability is shaken.
There are 32 Photon Red FE’s still listed as in inventory. I would bet JLR would willingly give you one of those for yours without too much effort. If you haven’t done so yet, start by opening a ticket with JLR NA.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Geeze. I kinda wish something was going wrong so I could swap for a new one.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I hope JLR comes through and you get another I-PACE - hopefully without problems this time.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've brought my I-pace into the dealer 3 times for "Traction Battery Fault".
First time at 1k mi, they said nothing was wrong, and I saw the error a few more times and didn't worry about it.
Then at >15k mi, it kicked the "Traction Battery Fault" and reduced power so low that I was capped at under 30 mph.
I brought it in, they had it 2 weeks, and said nothing was wrong.
Then in under a week, it refused to move with "Traction Battery Fault".
After 30 days in the shop, they called and said they must ship the car out to have it worked on.
It has 16k miles and 13 month of ownership, and 2 months in service total.

I am waiting for feedback from JLR NA, but I have no confidence in their service depts. I don't think they have a robust troubleshooting system for the I-Pace. Arrgghh.

It was my favorite car of all time, so this is really tough. I've never lemon'd a car. The car is excellent, the service is not.
Sorry to hear McRat!! I don't have faith in anyone or anything these days and dealership service is top that list then put a high tech iPace in their hands, scary. Hope your soon to resolve and ultimately in your most favor!!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Sad to hear that. I always followed you as one of the most knowledgeable person in this forum. I had cancelled my I-Pace order when the horror stories started to appear but kept following in hope JLR would sort things out. Well they did not and with you starting the process to return your car that was the last and final blow.

My current lease is due a year from now, I’ll see how the Polestar pans out.

The I-Pace is a fantastic car, so sad JLR screwed it.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So sorry to hear, I have a question. Is the concern THIS repair or are you thinking you will have other issues and have to suffer through it again?
From my personal experience, when a drivetrain problem occurs, they cannot effectively troubleshoot. The onboard diagnostics are a likely cause of this deficiency.
When the car nearly stranded me at 15,xxx miles, they could not detect a problem even though the car displayed TRACTION BATTERY FAULT.
Best I can figure it doesn't store a 'history log' for the powertrain, so they cannot tell what actually happened.

Here's the killer. Would I drive the car from SoCal to Salt Lake City, Utah again? No. It was a great trip, and completely trouble free. But I did not consider what would happen if I broke in the middle of nowhere.

Sidebar - The car is still at Anaheim, and has not been shipped yet.

·
Registered
425 Posts
It's really a shame. As I said in other threads, a lot of the original members are getting out - either by lemoning the car or just selling it off.

I hate to say it but the resale on this car may be worse than any other car I've ever bought at this point...

·
Registered
427 Posts
From my personal experience, when a drivetrain problem occurs, they cannot effectively troubleshoot. The onboard diagnostics are a likely cause of this deficiency.
When the car nearly stranded me at 15,xxx miles, they could not detect a problem even though the car displayed TRACTION BATTERY FAULT.
Best I can figure it doesn't store a 'history log' for the powertrain, so they cannot tell what actually happened.

Here's the killer. Would I drive the car from SoCal to Salt Lake City, Utah again? No. It was a great trip, and completely trouble free. But I did not consider what would happen if I broke in the middle of nowhere.

Sidebar - The car is still at Anaheim, and has not been shipped yet.
Definitely a tough choice. There were some definite build quality issues related to the battery and the power management system that caused a number of forum members to go through the buy back process. I hope you will consider a replacement if there is something that meets your specs. For those who haven't experienced the really major faults, the car has been a great experience outside of the learning curve by JLR mass producing their first model year EV.

We'll definitely miss your posts and insights if you decide not to take a replacement.

This continues to highlight the problem with the number of trained technicians at the dealers and how much experience they get or have. With sales volume so low, the trained techs don't get much opportunity to learn real life lessons during diagnostics. If the one trained tech at Jaguar of Orlando leaves my dealer, I'm pretty well screwed until they get someone else trained up.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Why cant JLR get you the exact same car but a 2020? Only thing missing would be the FE badging

·
Super Moderator
2,352 Posts

Sorry to hear that you are now also one of us early adopters who have experienced problems. If they buy mine back (which I would imagine they do) I'd like to give it one more chance.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
We had an issue with the lane keeping not working... because the cameras were covered with filth. Not really a problem. :)

I do love this car. It's just an amazing vehicle. I can't think of another I'd want more. I can think of how it could be better, but no other reaches its level. Miles will be 012345 later today.

Reactions: sciencegeek
1 - 20 of 65 Posts