Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my 2019 I-Pace FE on Friday, and still learning the ropes. It's obvious that the lawyers got involved in the documentation, as I'm reading through the manual: "Commercially-operated, automatic car washes, jet washes, and power-operated mops are not recommended."

So really? I guess we also need a personal assistant to hand wash the car? lol Seriously though, has anyone had any problem with a commercial car wash? (I don't need one yet, but will likely do a coin-operated wash this weekend.)

Thanks in advance, Justin

·
Super Moderator
1,589 Posts
Awesome, welcome! I just put mine through a car wash because I really don't see myself cleaning this thing by hand all the time, and it was fine. It does accumulate water in the rear hatch spaces, which pours out when you open the hatch. Much like after heavy rain.

·
Registered
113 Posts
My dealership laughed and just said to do the brushless laser car washes, which I do.

The manual also says to check fluid levels frequently (daily or weekly, I forget) which is a complicated procedure involving removing panels in the frunk. Dealer laughed at that too and said “that’s what the fluid level sensors are for.”

I also loved the part in the manual about driving gently for the first... 3000 miles (yeah, not gonna happen).

·
Registered
101 Posts
I just picked up my 2019 I-Pace FE on Friday, and still learning the ropes. It's obvious that the lawyers got involved in the documentation, as I'm reading through the manual: "Commercially-operated, automatic car washes, jet washes, and power-operated mops are not recommended."

So really? I guess we also need a personal assistant to hand wash the car? lol Seriously though, has anyone had any problem with a commercial car wash? (I don't need one yet, but will likely do a coin-operated wash this weekend.)

Thanks in advance, Justin
I've been hand-washing my I Pace since I got it in April, but I'm not going to be doing that in an unheated garage in a Canadian winter. Has anybody had a problem with a commercial "touchless" car wash?

·
Super Moderator
1,149 Posts
I've been hand-washing my I Pace since I got it in April, but I'm not going to be doing that in an unheated garage in a Canadian winter. Has anybody had a problem with a commercial "touchless" car wash?
I typically ran my car thru the car wash weekly, especially in the winter. I have never had a problem, touchless or not. I generally do not use touchless.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I have no issues with touchless but would not take any car of mine through the ones with physical parts. The weight of the material if its dropped while wet is enough to at least create tons of micro scratches, and who knows what else. Spinning brushes, well, I won’t say anything about that, I think its pretty obvious. You are essentially micro sanding your entire finish. And yes they have been knows sometimes to damage or break off bits and pieces. In fact a BMW dealer using their own automatic carwash (not touch-less) broke off my side mirror. I always mark cars as “do not wash” at dealers unless I know they wash by hand.

The basic disclaimer about car washes I believe exist for all cars.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks - yes, I have a touch-free car wash that I have been using. (I only wish it were a bit closer to home!).

·
Registered
902 Posts
We had the car ceramic coated and then use a waterless detailing spray and a bunch of microfiber towels to clean it. It takes some effort, but less than actually washing the car with water, and the result is amazingly good looking.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts