Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read all of the threads about SIM card problems in the car and I still have a question with which I'm hoping the group can help. I have a 2019 model currently on software version 18D. It has a SIM card in the slot, but it is unable to receive things such as traffic, weather, etc. that are supposed to be controlled through that. When I go in the connectivity settings, it says "Reading SIM" but never gets beyond that. I've tried to remove it and re-seat it. I can connect to Wi-Fi while at home, where there is a very strong signal in the garage, but the car forgets it every time I get leave and come back. Software updates is turned on but so far when I press the "check for updates" button it says there is no update available. On the display, in the upper right-hand corner there is an icon is of a G with a slash through it. I brought the car to dealer (where it is now) and they said that they can't figure out what's wrong with it. They asked me: "are you 100% sure your account is set up with at&t. All software updates are complete, but the vehicle still wasn't reading your sim card. He put a known good sim card from another customers vehicle and it worked perfectly fine. Let me know. TY". While I didn't think registration was necessary, I did go through the in control website and visit AT&T's website to try to activate data to which their answer is "VIN not found". Any ideas? Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have read all of the threads about SIM card problems in the car and I still have a question with which I'm hoping the group can help. I have a 2019 model currently on software version 18D. It has a SIM card in the slot, but it is unable to receive things such as traffic, weather, etc. that are supposed to be controlled through that. When I go in the connectivity settings, it says "Reading SIM" but never gets beyond that. I've tried to remove it and re-seat it. I can connect to Wi-Fi while at home, where there is a very strong signal in the garage, but the car forgets it every time I get leave and come back. Software updates is turned on but so far when I press the "check for updates" button it says there is no update available. On the display, in the upper right-hand corner there is an icon is of a G with a slash through it. I brought the car to dealer (where it is now) and they said that they can't figure out what's wrong with it. They asked me: "are you 100% sure your account is set up with at&t. All software updates are complete, but the vehicle still wasn't reading your sim card. He put a known good sim card from another customers vehicle and it worked perfectly fine. Let me know. TY". While I didn't think registration was necessary, I did go through the in control website and visit AT&T's website to try to activate data to which their answer is "VIN not found". Any ideas? Thanks!
Infotainment system version should have no impact.
When the car is first delivered, the dealer normally sets up the AT&T account with the SIM card on a 30 day trial. After that, you have to either convert the account from a trial account or try a different SIM card and provider. When you picked up the car and got the SIM initially set up, did you get an email from AT&T? The would have sent you an expiration reminder every week for a few weeks. If that didn't happen and the car is not showing when you add the VIN, I don't think the dealer set you up.
You should be able to convert the SIM and set up the account on your own via AT&T, but you might need to call into their customer service line. The AT&T store folks I dealt with didn't seem to have a clue.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Infotainment system version should have no impact.
When the car is first delivered, the dealer normally sets up the AT&T account with the SIM card on a 30 day trial. After that, you have to either convert the account from a trial account or try a different SIM card and provider. When you picked up the car and got the SIM initially set up, did you get an email from AT&T? The would have sent you an expiration reminder every week for a few weeks. If that didn't happen and the car is not showing when you add the VIN, I don't think the dealer set you up.
You should be able to convert the SIM and set up the account on your own via AT&T, but you might need to call into their customer service line. The AT&T store folks I dealt with didn't seem to have a clue.
Thanks for the quick reply. That's exactly what we're trying to figure out. Now, this is where it gets fuzzy for me. Online, "Pro Services" (see attached picture) is active, expiring 2024. By their definition (also attached) it includes connected navigation, etc. What then does signing up with AT&T do?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,132 Posts
What then does signing up with AT&T do?
Not a lot. The 'Live' apps and some nav functions (traffic updates, etc) require data, but you can use your phone as a hotspot to accomplish that. Granted, the number of times my car logged onto my wifi (home or phone hotspot) without me making it do so - usually requiring me to enter the password again, were few and far between. So having the car on it's own data plan should make that process seamless and easy.

·
Super Moderator
1,455 Posts
I ripped the SIM card out on the first day and never looked back. The benefits are slim, the complexities and additional cost a deal breaker for me. Cell phones can do everything now.

·
Registered
526 Posts
First of all make sure that mobile data is turned to "on" in the settings menu. If it is then you may need to reset your connectivity settings - these include the mobile data, incontrol remote service, and i believe some other telematics communications "stuff." To do this press and hold the "Optimized Jaguar Assistance" button until it starts flashing amber rapidly. It's the button closer to the driver side (not the "SOS" button). Release it and it will start flashing slowly. After a while the light will turn off, the car will download some files, and the white light will back on. Be sure to do this procedure in a location where you get good cell service.

·
Registered
392 Posts
The car came with free 90 day or 3 GB AT&T data plan. It's possible the dealer didn't establish an account for you or the trial plan is so out of date that you can't reactivate it online. Try calling AT&T.

I use this service (2GB for$15) to get live traffic updates and to send destinations from Jaguar Route Planner. My phone account allows only 2GB of data per month and it was cheaper to add AT&T than to pay for extra data through Verizon. Also, I like the Jaguar navigation better than Waze or Google Maps especially because the Jaguar nav displays on the instrument panel and probably the HUD (I don't have HUD so someone else can chime in).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The car came with free 90 day or 3 GB AT&T data plan. It's possible the dealer didn't establish an account for you or the trial plan is so out of date that you can't reactivate it online. Try calling AT&T.

I use this service (2GB for$15) to get live traffic updates and to send destinations from Jaguar Route Planner. My phone account allows only 2GB of data per month and it was cheaper to add AT&T than to pay for extra data through Verizon. Also, I like the Jaguar navigation better than Waze or Google Maps especially because the Jaguar nav displays on the instrument panel and probably the HUD (I don't have HUD so someone else can chime in).
Thanks for your help... but my experience has been different than you describe. When I go to the AT&T site, it doesn't even recognize my VIN. I am able to send destinations via the route planner but can't see live traffic, weather, news, etc. Honestly I'd use these very little and use CarPlay most of the time, but I'd really like everything to work properly.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First of all make sure that mobile data is turned to "on" in the settings menu. If it is then you may need to reset your connectivity settings - these include the mobile data, incontrol remote service, and i believe some other telematics communications "stuff." To do this press and hold the "Optimized Jaguar Assistance" button until it starts flashing amber rapidly. It's the button closer to the driver side (not the "SOS" button). Release it and it will start flashing slowly. After a while the light will turn off, the car will download some files, and the white light will back on. Be sure to do this procedure in a location where you get good cell service.
Mobile Data: ON. Says "reading SIM"
Tried the reset; no effect.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
According to AT&T's site the only benefit of the data plan is the wireless hotspot. This is from their site:
What are the benefits of subscribing to a wireless data service plan for my vehicle?
Turns your vehicle info a powerful Wi-Fi hotspot
Connect up to 10 compatible devices with Wi-Fi (varies by manufacturer)
Passengers can stream, browse, share and more from the open road
Works up to 50 ft from your vehicle
Enjoy a reliable connection with your car antenna within wireless coverage areas

So... seem that all the other stuff should work without subscribing. Just need to make that happen!!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Quick question about apple car play. When you phone connected via charge cable and select apple car play, it comes up on the upper screen. How do you get out of apple car play and back to the regular infotainment system? Only way I have been able to do it is by unplugging the charge cable. I’ve pressed every button I can. Any way to be using apple car play ie. listening to pandora and see the infotainment system info on the top screen?
Move apple car play to lower screen to still access pro touch screens.

I was listening to pandora and wanted to adjust the audio set up while listening and found no way to get CarPlay off the top touch screen.
Thanks.

·
Registered
392 Posts
According to AT&T's site the only benefit of the data plan is the wireless hotspot.
So... seem that all the other stuff should work without subscribing. Just need to make that happen!!!!
My AT&T plan was expired for a week until I decided to renew it. During that time the car's nav would show a message that live traffic is unavailable. I also couldn't send routes and destinations from Jaguar Route Planner to the car unless it was connected to WiFi.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Quick question about apple car play. When you phone connected via charge cable and select apple car play, it comes up on the upper screen. How do you get out of apple car play and back to the regular infotainment system? Only way I have been able to do it is by unplugging the charge cable. I’ve pressed every button I can. Any way to be using apple car play ie. listening to pandora and see the infotainment system info on the top screen?
Move apple car play to lower screen to still access pro touch screens.

I was listening to pandora and wanted to adjust the audio set up while listening and found no way to get CarPlay off the top touch screen.
Thanks.
There is a "Jaguar" button on the CarPlay screen. Try cycling through the different CarPlay screens. You will see it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the Jaguar button tip on CarPlay. I just assumed it was one of the Jaguar apps from my iPhone and didn’t think to try it. I’ll give it a go this evening!

·
Registered
44 Posts

I have a HUD and no you can't display maps on the HUD.

Regarding Jaguar navigation I have to disagree. I don't know where Jaguar get's its traffic feed from but on the major roads it is delayed or all together wrong compared to Google Maps traffic info. On the secondary roads Jaguar traffic info is virtually non-existent. If I need accurate traffic info on the screen I use Android Auto.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have a HUD and no you can't display maps on the HUD.

Regarding Jaguar navigation I have to disagree. I don't know where Jaguar get's its traffic feed from but on the major roads it is delayed or all together wrong compared to Google Maps traffic info. On the secondary roads Jaguar traffic info is virtually non-existent. If I need accurate traffic info on the screen I use Android Auto.
I'm not seeing much of a delay in live traffic using Jaguar Navigation. I've compared it to Waze and Google Maps and got the same traffic levels and rerouting suggestions. I don't think Jaguar was more than a minute off in popping up a reroute suggestion. I actually like the layout and view you get in the dashboard area, which is one reason I don't often switch to google maps anymore.

One note is I had to turn off the "add charging station" options and minimize what I considered low range because the Jaguar app would always try to rerouted to a charging station in low SOC conditions.

Just having live traffic without navigation on major surface streets seems a little delayed, but I haven't compared with having Google Maps up at the same time. Freeways and major highways seems okay.

I'm wondering if the issue is regional?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK, an update. The car is back from the dealer. They tried another customer's (working) SIM card in the car and all worked. So my card is bad. New one on order. We'll see what happens next. While there they updated me to 19A. Seems marginally faster, any other improvements?

·
Registered
526 Posts
OK, an update. The car is back from the dealer. They tried another customer's (working) SIM card in the car and all worked. So my card is bad. New one on order. We'll see what happens next. While there they updated me to 19A. Seems marginally faster, any other improvements?
It introduced bugs, that's for sure: EV panel on your customized homepage will appear blank most of the times; voice on navigation and voice commands sometimes defaults to english accent even though uk accent is selected; creep mode setting doesn't stick; ummm what else...

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have a HUD and no you can't display maps on the HUD.....
But the HUD does show graphics for the next maneuver and the distance to it as you approach your next turn (if you've enabled the HUD Nav graphics display).

Also, on the subject of the SIM card I've been using mine since day one and easily resubscribed after the free period expired. The learned-commutes feature is a nice one that considers traffic and compares it against the routes it has observed me take home to give me the best route each day. It is normally consistent with Waze and remembers my three typical route variations that tend to vary in preference based upon what time I leave each day.

Just as a data point (so to speak), I typically use a bit under 2GB of data per month on the car's data plan.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
But the HUD does show graphics for the next maneuver and the distance to it as you approach your next turn (if you've enabled the HUD Nav graphics display).

Also, on the subject of the SIM card I've been using mine since day one and easily resubscribed after the free period expired. The learned-commutes feature is a nice one that considers traffic and compares it against the routes it has observed me take home to give me the best route each day. It is normally consistent with Waze and remembers my three typical route variations that tend to vary in preference based upon what time I leave each day.

Just as a data point (so to speak), I typically use a bit under 2GB of data per month on the car's data plan.
Good point, although I wonder if I'll get the same effect by connecting the car to my iPhone hotspot, where I have unlimited data. I'll try them both once the new SIM card arrives. So far, the EV screen is not yet blank and I leave creep mode off anyhow. I just hope JLR continues to improve the software and release updates frequently. We shall see. Must say, I love this car. The F-Pace loaner I had pales in comparison.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts