Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any I-Pace owners successfully had JLR buyback their car as part of their respective state's Lemon Law? Any help or advice from fellow I-Pace owners would be helpful. I've filed a Better Business Bureau complaint. In filing the complaint Jaguar is rated "F""

In TX the Lemon law specifies:
The Four Times Test (My car has been in the repair shop 4x for software problems)

You pass this test if you have taken your vehicle to the dealership for repair

• Four (4) times for the same defect(s) within the first two years or 24,000 miles, whichever comes first; and
  • the problem continues to exist.
The Serious Safety Hazard Test (My car has been in the repair shop 2x for brake; first one for brake recall and second one with brakes not working and all 4 wheels locking up)

A serious safety hazard is a life-threatening malfunction that substantially impedes your ability to control or operate the vehicle normally, or that creates a substantial risk of fire or explosion. You pass this test if you have taken your vehicle to the dealership two or more times for the repair of a serious safety hazard

• during first two years or 24,000 miles, whichever comes first, and
The 30 Day Test (I'm about to hit the 30 day mark, but the dealer has given me a loaner. Is a gas engine car thats $30k less comparable)?

If your new vehicle has been out of service for repair due to a defect(s) that substantially impairs the use or market value of the vehicle due to defects covered by the warranty for a total of 30 or more days during the first 24 months or 24,000 miles, and the problem still exists. If no comparable loaner vehicle was provided to you by the dealer during this time period, you pass the test.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
It's no different just because it's a Jaguar. I know somebody who got a buyback because Apple Carplay would not work. After he returned the car, the problem was isolated. It was Apple.

Reactions: Deutsch100

·
Super Moderator
1,159 Posts
Has any I-Pace owners successfully had JLR buyback their car as part of their respective state's Lemon Law? Any help or advice from fellow I-Pace owners would be helpful. I've filed a Better Business Bureau complaint. In filing the complaint Jaguar is rated "F""

In TX the Lemon law specifies:
The Four Times Test (My car has been in the repair shop 4x for software problems)

You pass this test if you have taken your vehicle to the dealership for repair

• Four (4) times for the same defect(s) within the first two years or 24,000 miles, whichever comes first; and
The Serious Safety Hazard Test (My car has been in the repair shop 2x for brake; first one for brake recall and second one with brakes not working and all 4 wheels locking up)

A serious safety hazard is a life-threatening malfunction that substantially impedes your ability to control or operate the vehicle normally, or that creates a substantial risk of fire or explosion. You pass this test if you have taken your vehicle to the dealership two or more times for the repair of a serious safety hazard

• during first two years or 24,000 miles, whichever comes first, and
The 30 Day Test (I'm about to hit the 30 day mark, but the dealer has given me a loaner. Is a gas engine car thats $30k less comparable)?

If your new vehicle has been out of service for repair due to a defect(s) that substantially impairs the use or market value of the vehicle due to defects covered by the warranty for a total of 30 or more days during the first 24 months or 24,000 miles, and the problem still exists. If no comparable loaner vehicle was provided to you by the dealer during this time period, you pass the test.
JLR bought my car back, but I didn’t go through the Lemon Law process. They were very easy to work with.

·
Registered
582 Posts
It's no different just because it's a Jaguar. I know somebody who got a buyback because Apple Carplay would not work. After he returned the car, the problem was isolated. It was Apple.
Apple did something special for this one vehicle or to Jaguar in general? Or is this an industry wide problem?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I go through lemon law and i got a California lemon law attorney, who resolved my all issues related to case. they are the best lemon law attorney Los Angeles law firms for cars, motorcycles, boats, vehicle and more. the majority of cases that they handle are related to cars and trucks and other vehicles.

·
Registered
979 Posts
My mom lemoned her BMW, using a Nolo book. It isn't that hard to do. The laws are stacked in favor of the consumer. Personally, I'd keep the car. The average Tesla owner goes through 10 times the stuff you're going through.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I might be visiting this topic soon. My car had the "battery fault detected" message, and would not drive forward to backward. It's been in the shop for 11 days, and they're having trouble figuring it out. In my state, it becomes a lemon after 30 days in the shop. I believe parts are on order, but the tech thinks he might have to open up the battery anyway and look for further problems. I love the car, and the dealer is great to work with, but I'd draw the line at 30 days.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I might be visiting this topic soon. My car had the "battery fault detected" message, and would not drive forward to backward. It's been in the shop for 11 days, and they're having trouble figuring it out. In my state, it becomes a lemon after 30 days in the shop. I believe parts are on order, but the tech thinks he might have to open up the battery anyway and look for further problems. I love the car, and the dealer is great to work with, but I'd draw the line at 30 days.
Sorry to hear that. Good luck with the repair and let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
Mazda RX-8
228 Posts
Have they ruled out the 12 volt battery in the frunk? That seems to be the bane of the I-Pace on numerous occasions. @Ken recently had that dilemma.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Pete, his sounds a bit different in that it only highlights the battery. With mine I got every conceivable warning that exists other than 'cover your face in public'. ;)

·
Premium Member
2019 I-Pace HSE - Borasco Grey
185 Posts
Just FYI. My car took 5 weeks to repair last August/September. It turned out in my case that the battery control module had failed. The car eventually totally shut down despite having a good charge and both 12v batteries also seemed to have been impacted as a side effect and were also replaced. Most dealers are just learning on how to deal with these major failures on electrics. About half of the wait was them waiting for the module and the tools needed for the work on the high voltage system to arrive from England (like the protective suit, gloves, and shepherds hook for rescue if something goes wrong when the power down the high voltage systems!). It also took some time to properly prepare the isolation area they had to establish around the car when working on the high voltage parts and to get the two properly trained mechanics ready in the same place at the same time. It's been flawless ever since though fortunately. I certainly understand the frustration and I was about to push the eject button too... but I'm glad I waited (I think... unless something happens again!).

·
Super Moderator
2,092 Posts
Looking back to all the buyback events that I've witnessed on this forum here's my take now that the dust has settled a bit.

Early on, the dealers did not know how to fix anything (software, hardware, and battery issues) and so quite a few early adopters had their cars sit at the dealer for an unnecessarily long amount of time, triggering lemon status in states that have it.

Software issues have been solved sufficiently that nobody is going to have their car lemoned any more just due to black screens.
Hardware issues are fixable, so as in StormRune's case, even if the car sits at the dealer for a while to have some part replaced it's not a good reason to ditch the car.
Battery issues are in a different league. I had not appreciated this as such a fundamental concern for EVs, even though it's obvious, until I experienced it myself. Unless the entire pack is replaced if there is an issue, some degradation in a bad battery will likely persist. In my case, the bad battery had less than 50% of original capacity; the fix brought it back to 90%. I was not ok with that.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Have they ruled out the 12 volt battery in the frunk? That seems to be the bane of the I-Pace on numerous occasions. @Ken recently had that dilemma.
Yah, I don't think it is the 12V battery, but I'll mention it to the tech just in case. He's been on the phone with JLR in the UK, trying to figure it out. So far, we're waiting on a part (can't remember what it is called, but essentially it is the computer that sits to the rear of the battery that controls the battery function). To make the situation more complicated, when the tech took apart this area, he found an old mouse nest housed under there. The car sat for a year outside on a dealer lot before I bought it, so I'm sure that's where it happened (I have a heated garage, which is so clean it gets vacuumed). So I have some concern that whatever happens, JLR is going to claim rodent damage and present me with the bill. The tech said he didn't think the mice caused the damage, but feelings could change if the bill becomes enormous. I can't exactly carbon date a mouse nest, but I'm sure it did not happen while under my ownership. And, I work from home, so my car is almost always in the garage. Today is day 12...we'll see what happens.

·
Super Moderator
1,159 Posts
Yah, I don't think it is the 12V battery, but I'll mention it to the tech just in case. He's been on the phone with JLR in the UK, trying to figure it out. So far, we're waiting on a part (can't remember what it is called, but essentially it is the computer that sits to the rear of the battery that controls the battery function). To make the situation more complicated, when the tech took apart this area, he found an old mouse nest housed under there. The car sat for a year outside on a dealer lot before I bought it, so I'm sure that's where it happened (I have a heated garage, which is so clean it gets vacuumed). So I have some concern that whatever happens, JLR is going to claim rodent damage and present me with the bill. The tech said he didn't think the mice caused the damage, but feelings could change if the bill becomes enormous. I can't exactly carbon date a mouse nest, but I'm sure it did not happen while under my ownership. And, I work from home, so my car is almost always in the garage. Today is day 12...we'll see what happens.
On my BMW, 3 months into ownership, suddenly the audio sounded as if ever the speaker blew out. The problem was traced to the speaker mounted under the driver seat. They removed the speaker and dumped a couple dozen acorns from it. BMW promptly said it wasn't their fault. I pointed out the entire time I owned the car the ground had been covered in snow and my car sits in my heated garage with no other evidence of rodents of any kind. They didn't care. I brought the acorns to the state university horticulturist who immediately identified them as from a tree that does not grow around here. BMW still didn't care.They refused to accept any responsibility.I had purchased the car in Utah, they do have that particular oak tree there, but that dealer declined to accept responsibility as well. My local dealer gave me a slight discount on the labor involved as no parts needed to be replaced, but it still cost me almost $500 to have acorns dumped out of my speaker...

·
Registered
87 Posts
On my BMW, 3 months into ownership, suddenly the audio sounded as if ever the speaker blew out. The problem was traced to the speaker mounted under the driver seat. They removed the speaker and dumped a couple dozen acorns from it. BMW promptly said it wasn't their fault. I pointed out the entire time I owned the car the ground had been covered in snow and my car sits in my heated garage with no other evidence of rodents of any kind. They didn't care. I brought the acorns to the state university horticulturist who immediately identified them as from a tree that does not grow around here. BMW still didn't care.They refused to accept any responsibility.I had purchased the car in Utah, they do have that particular oak tree there, but that dealer declined to accept responsibility as well. My local dealer gave me a slight discount on the labor involved as no parts needed to be replaced, but it still cost me almost $500 to have acorns dumped out of my speaker...
Wow, interesting. This must be a somewhat common problem with cars sitting around collecting dust on dealer lots. I'm fortunate that the repair was completed with no more discussion about the mouse house. Next time I buy a car that has been sitting for a long time, I'll be sure to get it up on a lift for inspection before I buy (even though that is imperfect, as problems can be hidden away).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts