Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member here. Not an owner yet; still kicking tires.

I've been driving Chevy Volts for a while and I'm ready to take off the training wheels and go full EV. I'm comparing the I-Pace to the Model S. I think that Chevy does an excellent job with their EV tech (great track record on battery management/longevity and good miles/kWh), but I'm looking for a better interior and my Volt and the current Bolts are not great in this regard.

Similarly, I'm not a fan of the interior aesthetic in the Teslas. I'm probably only considering that car for access to the SuperCharger network.

I've made my peace with the JLR infotainment software as my wife drives a late model Range Rover. With recent updates, it's laggy but mostly stable and we use CarPlay anyway. I have enough experience with EVs that a flaky GOM won't throw me off. That seems to remove two of the common complaints regarding the I-Pace.

I'm starting to see great deals on 2019 demo cars that still have the tax credit, so I'm getting close to pulling the trigger.

Just wanted to introduce myself since I've been lurking for a while.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Good luck Pollo, I'm sure you'll love the I-Pace if that's the route you decide to go. I went from a Tesla MS to the I-Pace and never looked back.

In making the decision, you should consider how much long distance driving you'll actually be doing to make the SuperCharger network something that should be seriously considered in the decision making process. Personally I rarely used it and rarely took the MS on long drives. I actually used a SC relatively close to my house since I had free Supercharging. The free supercharging is the part of the deal I miss, but other than that I'm loving the Jag.

Here's a post I made comparing my Model S to my I-Pace:

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
344 Posts

I've been driving Chevy Volts for a while and I'm ready to take off the training wheels and go full EV. I'm comparing the I-Pace to the Model S. I think that Chevy does an excellent job with their EV tech (great track record on battery management/longevity and good miles/kWh), but I'm looking for a better interior and my Volt and the current Bolts are not great in this regard.

Similarly, I'm not a fan of the interior aesthetic in the Teslas. I'm probably only considering that car for access to the SuperCharger network.

I've made my peace with the JLR infotainment software as my wife drives a late model Range Rover. With recent updates, it's laggy but mostly stable and we use CarPlay anyway. I have enough experience with EVs that a flaky GOM won't throw me off. That seems to remove two of the common complaints regarding the I-Pace.

I'm starting to see great deals on 2019 demo cars that still have the tax credit, so I'm getting close to pulling the trigger.

Welcome. Your have summarized why to buy an I-Pace quite nicely - an EV with a touch of class and refinement. From my perspective the current flock of EV's are similar regarding basic tech. The differentiators are the design, refinement, and optional toys/tech.

The stock of 2019 may be starting to dwindle, so jump right in and join us.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Like you, I came to the I-PACE from a Volt. Tesla has the I-PACE and everyone else beat when it comes to self driving and are very good re efficiency. Since I don't go on long trips often and live in an urban setting where Autopilot still doesn't work, I can't say I care about self driving. And actually, on wealth-striped highways, the I-PACE does a fine job, I think.
Re efficiency, I have solar PV and even if I didn't, the cost of I-PACE fuel is nothing.
I didn't go w Tesla because I wanted a car that was well built, and that I could love the looks of. The Tesla is a nice car. But I can't work up a passion.
We also have a Chevy bolt. That is a great car.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies.

RE: Teslas Autopilot ... I'm not a fan and think that the current implementation is gross corporate negligence. I don't care what disclaimers they use, when you call it "Autopilot", the consumer is going to use it in a manner consistent with the name.

I understand that the emitters are ugly, but at minimum until they implement LIDAR to pick up stationary objects in the road, Autopilot is a danger to Tesla drivers and those who share the road with them.

Obviously one is not required to purchase or use Autopilot if they drive a Tesla, but it bugs me to the point that I'm not sure I want to support a company that acts this way. Not a huge deal, just some background noise that pulls me away from the Model S ... like being lumped in with the minority of Tesla owners who are insufferable.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

RE: Teslas Autopilot ... I'm not a fan and think that the current implementation is gross corporate negligence. I don't care what disclaimers they use, when you call it "Autopilot", the consumer is going to use it in a manner consistent with the name.

I understand that the emitters are ugly, but at minimum until they implement LIDAR to pick up stationary objects in the road, Autopilot is a danger to Tesla drivers and those who share the road with them.

Obviously one is not required to purchase or use Autopilot if they drive a Tesla, but it bugs me to the point that I'm not sure I want to support a company that acts this way. Not a huge deal, just some background noise that pulls me away from the Model S ... like being lumped in with the minority of Tesla owners who are insufferable.
I hear ya and tend to agree, yet Tesla’s statistics point to a lessening of accidents with Autopilot. I rarely used it on my MS, as there were several instances where I didn’t like the way it behaved. On more than one occasion it seemed to want to get too friendly with guardrails over small overpasses.

So I would tend to use it in safe areas as a ‘show off’ to people that had never ridden in a Tesla.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't want to turn this into a Tesla bashing thread because I really do like many things about the MS, but I think those statistics have been called into question:

·
Registered
142 Posts
I went with a 2020 Ipace last year. I thought about the MS but it was more expensive, bigger and fit/finish not up to what the cat cost. My use scenario is also commuting 75 km a day. No long trips. The car has been great so far. Tesla's autopilot/tech and charging weren't important given my use. Ipace is more unique. I was concerned about reliability of Jag and a new BEV but after checking out other forums I'm not sure its bettern or worse than Tesla/Audi...I also liked the idea of a dealer network I could go to and promise of loaners when needed. Battery efficiency not as good but actually close to the S90d if the Tesla forums are correct. No regrets here.

·
Registered
142 Posts
One thing I've noticed about the Jag tech is there is little or zero phantom drain of the battery after days/wks sitting idle. Something Tesla had been having issues with - sorry cant help making comparisons. All the Ipace bashing 🤥 on Tesla forums or InsideEV, Electrek got to me.

·
Registered
2019 HSE, Santorini Black, Light Oyster, HUD, Adaptive Dynamics.
11 Posts

I was in the same boat. I loved my Volt. I just needed a bigger vehicle and wanted to pull the trigger on all electric. The model Y was too simple inside for me and the X was out of my price range, even used. I got a 2019 HSE left on the lot for about 40% off MSRP when you include the tax credit. I love this car now. I love driving it around, and am glad I got it. I don't really feel an issue with the infotainment. However, or F150 is just as slow. I call it "deliberate."

Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looked at a 2019 first edition (photon red with oyster interior). They are starting out at $49,900. If I can get them down a bit, I think I'll pull the trigger. It was at an Audi dealership and I asked them to take it to the Jag dealer around the corner for a battery test.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
This might be a sign! I have a 2019 FE Photon Red/Oyster and a 2019 Range Rover Velar, however do not have a Chevy Volt. If your Velar is Aruba Metallic, buy the I-Pace for sure.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Close, "Posh" is Silicon Silver metalic. Assuming the Jag's battery gets a decent test (I had them charge it up and run the reset procedure on the GOM and it came back at 260 miles range) and they give me reasonable value on my Volt for a trade in, then I think we're set.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quick question about the used I Pace that I'm considering. TOPIX lists the following Outstanding Campaigns:
When I click on it, I get a popup that states: This campaign does not refer to any documents.

Any ideas?

TIA for any input.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
662 Posts
IIRC, that relates to them triggering servicing alerts and it came out way too early for me and others. It seems to come out for all Jaguars and actually does mean it is near the estimated time for servicing ICE vehicles that have a shorter than 21K mile service interval.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts