Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you guys/gals ever held the brake with the left foot and pressed the gas pedal all the way down?
A friend of mine did this when he drove my I-Pace because he knows about racing ICE cars. The kitty changed its stance in response, ready to leap!

I have since tried this twice and both times the front goes up noticeably when the accelerator pedal hits the floor, not before. Hold brake, depress accelerator slowly or quickly, it only changes its stance once the accelerator pedal hits the floor.

I did not let go of the brake because I was not in a safe environment.

Has anyone noticed this feature? It appears to be undocumented ... and has anyone actually let go of the brake?

·
Premium Member
2020 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
183 Posts
I haven’t heard of this before. It would surprise me if launch control was a feature on an electric car. My Porsche has launch control, and it is activated in the manner that you describe. The purpose of launch control is to rev the engine while the vehicle is stationary, so that the maximum torque is available when you release the brake pedal. This isn’t really necessary with an EV. Maybe there’s something else that it does to improve traction.

FYi - launch control in the 911 is brutal. It does 0 - 60 in just under 3 seconds, and the sensation is the closest that I’ve felt to an EV in terms of instant torque.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
The launch in the Taycan is the same method. I drove it again this weekend and boy is it fast
@Ken brings up a good point

·
Super Moderator
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven’t heard of this before. It would surprise me if launch control was a feature on an electric car. My Porsche has launch control, and it is activated in the manner that you describe. The purpose of launch control is to rev the engine while the vehicle is stationary, so that the maximum torque is available when you release the brake pedal. This isn’t really necessary with an EV. Maybe there’s something else that it does to improve traction.
Hahaha (<= evil laugh)

I tried it today. It works as (non)advertised. As soon as the gas pedal is depressed fully (while holding the brake of course) two things happen:
1. The kitty lifts her nose a bit
2. A load of an additional ~4kW is applied to the battery, indicating a power draw. Mind you, this is not a lot, but it does seem to be a 'preload' of sorts.

Well and then I let go of the brake pedal and whoooosh a bit over 4 seconds later I was at 60mph. Fun fun fun. :devilish:

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Hahaha (<= evil laugh)

I tried it today. It works as (non)advertised. As soon as the gas pedal is depressed fully (while holding the brake of course) two things happen:
1. The kitty lifts her nose a bit
2. A load of an additional ~4kW is applied to the battery, indicating a power draw. Mind you, this is not a lot, but it does seem to be a 'preload' of sorts.

Well and then I let go of the brake pedal and whoooosh a bit over 4 seconds later I was at 60mph. Fun fun fun. :devilish:
Any benefit doing this?

·
Super Moderator
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Any benefit doing this?
In the name of fun.. I mean science.
That's it, exactly!
In my experience, if you press the accelerator with some spirit while in Dynamic Mode, there is a "cloink" sound, implying a bit of stress on some part of the drive train.
When using launch control, that cloink isn't there, implying that the preload may be beneficial.

Too bad it's snowing.
Try it anyway :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
403 Posts
I have tested, and yes I can see that the front goes up a bit. It is only for those who have the air suspension ? What is the reason for this ?
I tried, but did not do any benchmark. It is hard to tell if there is a real difference.

·
Super Moderator
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah it presses you into the seat regardless of whether you just floor the gas pedal or use the launch method :LOL:
I don't know whether the snout lift is due to something physical as some load is applied to the system, or whether the air suspension is programmed to do so. Someone with coil suspension in Europe should try it and report back. If they do it too it's physical, if they don't do it it's air suspension software I think.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts