Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Firenze Red SE, 9/2019 Build
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lengthy but in-depth comparison. Summary at end reveals what people say they want vs what they actually pay for.
I always figured I couldn’t afford an I-Pace but thanks to the market being what it is (mostly Tesla fans) we had the opportunity to get something we love all around.

Cheers!

·
Registered
969 Posts
He's really thorough in his reviews.

Interesting to see the Y and the I-Pace are similar in efficiency. 3.0mi/kWh with the Y at 3.1mi/kWh.

Hes getting 4.1 in 0-60

I couldn't sit in a Tesla after spending a second in an I-Pace or E-Tron

·
Registered
222 Posts
He's really thorough in his reviews.

Interesting to see the Y and the I-Pace are similar in efficiency. 3.0mi/kWh with the Y at 3.1mi/kWh.

Hes getting 4.1 in 0-60

I couldn't sit in a Tesla after spending a second in an I-Pace or E-Tron
The efficiency numbers are deceptive. Love my Ipace but it's not 'efficient'. I think what people want to know is range at highway speeds, or efficiency numbers at 70 mph. If you need to use your EV for a lot of highway long trips those are the numbers you need. I rarely do long highway trips > 150 miles, Ipace is perfect. Likely would have stayed with gas or phev if I needed to do long trips with any regularity.

·
Super Moderator
2,358 Posts
[I just pressed 'like' on all the posts on this thread! Must be a good thread :]

Same here !
Are we seeing Tesla bringing the price down on luxury competitors? That's so interesting ... but it makes sense if people who like real cars actually cross-shop Tesla ... maybe one day I can afford a Taycan :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2020 Indus Silver
26 Posts
I actually had a Model Y on order for awhile. I wanted to go full electric after enjoying an Audi PHEV for 3 years. I wanted another hatchback or an SUV. However, then I started reading the Tesla forums. My goodness. I discovered a lot. First, the Tesla's don't have features which I consider critical to my driving experience and safety: Apple Car Play and Rear Cross Traffic Alert. The Tesla fans said their Nav was good enough, but for me,nothing beats Waze at rush hour. I like Siri letting me know about texts, reading them, and letting me reply. The fan boys said that I should back in to parking spaces. That sounds just great: visit Home Depot with your SUV and try to load the stuff after backing in. Crazy.

Other, less critical features were missing like blind spot warnings in the side mirrors. I always wanted a 360 top view camera system -- not available on the Teslas. Love it on the I-Pace. I like listening to Sirius and FM radio. Tesla offered neither. Build quality horror stories abounded: panel gaps, mismatched or bad paint jobs. On the other hand, Tesla has big focus on self-driving which simply does not appeal to me. I love the auto cruise control, but I've tried the self steering on the I Pace and it's neat, but I don't see the point. That's just my opinion.

Scariest were the service stories. Tesla has had tremendous growth, but their service departments have not grown nearly enough. They are overwhelmed. I also researched this forum and the UK version prior to getting the I Pace. Forums are always filled with problems, but Tesla seemed much scarier to me.

Finally, there is styling. This is 100% subjective -- eye of the beholder and all that. Still, I've never owned what I consider an ugly car. And, the more photos I saw of the Y the more I disliked it. To me it looks bulbous and blah.

Speaking of styling, since my Audi lease was coming up, I went to Audi dealership to look at the etron GT. It looked pretty good -- definitely a luxury vehicle, although I don't know what is up with the Germans and their arms race to build bigger and bigger grills. I'm not a fan. Well, the local Audi dealer is also a Jaguar dealer and I walked 200 feet to their showroom and there was this Indus Silver I Pace and... that was it. Love at first sight and still loving it.

·
Registered
2020 Indus Silver
26 Posts
BTW, wondering why in the review he keeps making a big deal out of L2 charging speed.
7 or 11 KW, unless you run it dry on daily basis, it's perfectly charged overnight or over office hours.
That puzzled me as well. He says he had bought a Tesla at some point so he must have experience. Maybe he doesn't have access to home charging and was trying to do it at a shared work spot or at various J-1772 spots, which would make it more understandable. Otherwise, you'd have to drive 200 miles a day or so before that would be relevant. I thought it was interesting that he said there were now more CCS ports than super charger ports.

·
Registered
27 Posts
@Zap Cat I think you've nailed it mate !
I'll allow myself tear it apart and add a bit:
The fan boys said that I should back in to parking spaces.
Yes. Every time you're trying to seek an advice on how to deal with another cork, there are pages of crap telling that Tesla is perfect, and something is wrong with you.
Tesla's don't have features which I consider critical to my driving experience and safety: Apple Car Play and Rear Cross Traffic Alert
First point on my list was touch-only interface. Neither convenient, nor safe. One happy owner in Germany got ticketed for "operating an electronic device while driving" when he tried to change wipers speed. You need to go into submenu on the touchscreen to do that.
Tesla has big focus on self-driving which simply does not appeal to me
It's still a vaporware for $10K. And yes, looking at all other technical issues, hard to believe that FSD will be stellar. Leaving alone that not everyone wants it.
Scariest were the service stories. Tesla has had tremendous growth, but their service departments have not grown nearly enough. They are overwhelmed. I also researched this forum and the UK version prior to getting the I Pace. Forums are always filled with problems, but Tesla seemed much scarier to me.
People are not getting it. Tesla count doubled in the past 2 years, and mainly with M3 / MY which are less mature and of lower quality. Zero new service centers in the past few years, and less than 15% expansion planned in 2021. "4 weeks wait / 2 weeks repair" sort of a schedule is a norm those days.
As a cherry on top, preowned car warranty shrinked down from 4 to 1 year, and no more 7-day new car return policy either. Wondering if those news are interconnected with quality and service availability, or it's just my imagination.
the more photos I saw of the Y the more I disliked it. To me it looks bulbous and blah.
This is where we disconnect, as exterior is nice IMO. But sure, it's personal.
More objective point I think is that interior design and quality resembles rather Corolla than any $50+K vehicle.

Anyway, wish Tesla only the best as they're still driving tech up and prices down, but also congrats to everyone who avoided sponsoring that management mess !

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
905 Posts
Although I don't put much weight on Consumer Reports stuff, they've just lowered Tesla in their rankings 25th in a list of 26 (Lincoln is 26).
"
Tesla's newly introduced Model Y crossover dragged down the electric carmaker's standing to the penultimate spot. Owners of the Model Y, which began production in January, have reported misaligned body panels that had to be fixed and mismatched paint including, in one case, human hair stuck in the paint, according to Consumer Reports. The Model Y finished with a "much worse than average" reliability rating."

·
Registered
27 Posts
Although I don't put much weight on Consumer Reports stuff, they've just lowered Tesla in their rankings 25th in a list of 26 (Lincoln is 26).
"
Tesla's newly introduced Model Y crossover dragged down the electric carmaker's standing to the penultimate spot. Owners of the Model Y, which began production in January, have reported misaligned body panels that had to be fixed and mismatched paint including, in one case, human hair stuck in the paint, according to Consumer Reports. The Model Y finished with a "much worse than average" reliability rating."
It's interesting that Model 3 is still recommended for purchase, although common perception was that Model S is a proven flagship.

·
Registered
29 Posts
It's interesting that Model 3 is still recommended for purchase, although common perception was that Model S is a proven flagship.
Consumer Reports puts cars in categories though -- so even though the Model S is their flagship and the Model 3 is a lower-tier car, CR isn't comparing them directly against each other. The Model S might be compared to Mercedes while the Model 3 is compared to cars in its price range.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts