Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Promise, last question & thank for all the previous help!!

If I decide to keep the AT&T 4G that came with the car, and renew before my trial ends in a week, I have a question about usage.

4G can be used for SOTA, instead of a home WiFi connection, correct?

We live in a canyon/mountainous area, so the 4G is usually 3G if I'm lucky, but usually zero service. When we get down into the "flats" of Calabasas or Woodland Hills (So Calif.) I have full 4G that's built into the car.

Whilst driving, can I do SOTA with the built in 4G, or does the car need to be stopped and off, or in ACC mode? If I am able to do 4G SOTA, what will happen when I get home and there is little to no 4G and the software update has not downloaded/completed?

Thanks again! :) Man, love this I-Pace, but there are times when I long for my 1995 W124 Mercedes E-Class #nogadgets ha ha ha

·
Registered
2019 Jaguar i-Pace HSE
266 Posts
The car can download updates via 4G while driving, and can even install the IMC updates while driving, but the others will only install while the car is turned off and locked, and the IMC update won't take effect until it is rebooted, which is turning off the car and locking it for a bit.

·
Registered
84 Posts
SOTA is not done through the 4G SIM you have access to and pay for. There is a separate SIM elsewhere for SOTA and mobile app connectivity. The one you have the option to renew after initial trial is for traffic info and the connected apps you can add into your car's main screen.

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SOTA is not done through the 4G SIM you have access to and pay for. There is a separate SIM elsewhere for SOTA and mobile app connectivity. The one you have the option to renew after initial trial is for traffic info and the connected apps you can add into your car's main screen.
Really? Wow. The dealer told me that if I did not use WiFi for SOTA, I would have to keep and pay the $20/month for the AT&T 4G they activated the day I took delivery.

I had not heard of the I-Pace having another SIM for SOTA.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Really? Wow. The dealer told me that if I did not use WiFi for SOTA, I would have to keep and pay the $20/month for the AT&T 4G they activated the day I took delivery.

I've heard both and still can't get it straight. My 3 month trial ended some time ago, but I still get traffic data and did a SOTA. If i take the so-called expired SIM out, I lose traffic and the ability to do SOTA. Seems the SIM has some weird dual life. Jag somehow keeps it active for SOTA and traffic, but no web browser or hot spot (that's what the subscription gives you). The dealer was adamant that you needed WIFI for the SOTA, but the last one downloaded while I drove to work.

·
Super Moderator
1,938 Posts

Yes. There's a SIM card that governs car-essential communication with the mother ship; that's different from the infotainment SIM card in the center console

·
Registered
84 Posts
You will soon come to realize the dealers know jack sh*t about the I-Pace. Owners on the forums have way more info (from experience and research) than the dealers seem to have.

·
Registered
94 Posts
You will soon come to realize the dealers know jack sh*t about the I-Pace. Owners on the forums have way more info (from experience and research) than the dealers seem to have.
Maybe. But things are changing fast. My dealer was well prepared and fantastic.
They took total of hour and half to do H264, while I was waiting. Remember Its their first EV.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts