Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

LA to Bakersfield and back

6K views 24 replies 6 participants last post by  toni 
#1 ·
Hi, has anyone done LA to Bakersfield trip and back in one day? 115 miles each way it seems... Any advice? Would you recommend a fast charger where I can have a nice lunch and a good espresso? I dont think I ll be able to do it without charging the car. Thanks!

#2 ·
I was looking at this route last weekend when I made the same trip to the central valley.
Only decent fast charger I saw was at a Walmart off of exit 20 in Bakersfield

What part of LA are you leaving from?

#8 ·
The Grapevine will keep you from doing a roundtrip even if hypermiling due to physics of the return trip.
It's more relaxing to just drive in the fast lane and not worry about anything.

Reactions: fedorachef
#10 · (Edited)
Tips for Western SAE Combo trips:
Get EVgo, ChargePoint, and EVConnect RFID cards. If cellular service goes down, which actually happened in Baker, CA, the RFID card will still work.
Load the EVgo, CP, EVConnect, and Electrify America cellular phone apps.

But most charging can be done with a credit card just like a gas station. The RFID and Cell Aps are backup systems.

Most chargers are Plug First, then pay. But read instructions carefully. Your car must be OFF.

#11 ·
Yep that climb is definitely a battery killer! Here are my numbers:

Start, 113m to go, 100% 227m indicated range.
Somewhere towards the end of the climb, 56m to go, 62% 130m indicated range.
At the end of the climb and descent, 33m to go, 51% 107m indicated range.
Arrived, 37%, 74m indicated range.

Charged up at Walmart EVgo, return:
Start, 103m to go, 90% 180m indicated range.
Arrived, 30% 60m indicated range.

#19 ·
Descending at low speed does a good amount of regen. But if you don't need to stretch range, why bother? For hypermiling efforts, mountains should be taken at 55 mph both climbing and descending.
The more amps you put through the battery, the more heat and resistance you create, which is all lost energy. ie - the higher the kW throttle, and higher the kW regen, the fewer miles per kWh due to extra heat lost.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.