Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 I-Pace HSE Indus Silver
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dropped Kitty back off at the Vet this afternoon :( My gut just tells me something is not right, even though JLR says "normal".

This morning I started my I-Pace @ 8:20am and the garage was cool (65F) and the inside of the car was very comfortable and cool as well. Within a few seconds the battery cooling fans came on full force (deafening loud) and would not turn off and ran all the way to work (15 miles). This cannot be normal!!

In ECO mode, almost all flat driving, speeds ranging between 35-65mph, no cooled seats, very gentle driving...for a 15 mile drive, range dropped from 112 to 70 miles. I know the G-o-M is cray, but it's been getting worse since June.

Round trip of 30 miles this morning, used over 20% of the battery SOC. I just can't accept that as normal, especially in ECO and driving slow and keeping every acceleration boring and gentle. I almost never use Comfort and can never enjoy Dynamic as it will kill my range insanely fast :(

This month makes 8 months with my cat, and I have never, ever had concerns with battery or range...but now it sucks!

I had an i3S before my I-Pace. It had a 42kWH battery, and the overall range was generally better than my Jag. Fingers crossed they don't say all as normal, like last time. I mean...I know something is not right!!

·
Super Moderator
2,263 Posts
I forget, do you have WattCat or do you have someone with an android device on which you can install it? It smells like a bad battery to me but if you can get the kWh vs percentage SoC it would be great.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I forget, do you have WattCat or do you have someone with an android device on which you can install it? It smells like a bad battery to me but if you can get the kWh vs percentage SoC it would be great.
We are a 100% Apple family. I have asked a few friends & neighbors if they have Android.....all Apple :(

Dealer told me last week my battery has 100% health, but my G-o-M range and SOC% does not feel right. Dec. 2019 to June 2020....my range has always been amazing (for the most part).

I told them about looking into the temperature sensor as mentioned by @CyberSlug They said they have never replaced one, but will look into it. They said there are no bulletins relating to this sensor.

Maybe it is a coincidence, but my gut is telling me the fans running on max are causing my range issues.

·
Super Moderator
2,263 Posts
Have you enabled journeys on the jlr website? It will tell you your consumption.

Cause and effect is hard to discern here. It could also be that your battery runs hot for some reason and the fans try to mitigate it.

·
Registered
2020 S
57 Posts
I can't imagine the battery fans can draw too much power. Let's says they're running all out and drawing an extra couple kW (which seems a bit of a stretch) that's still only going to affect range by about 10% depending on speed and driving conditions. Knowing that some of these cars have a refrigerant leak issue and that the A/C can pull a lot of power when running hard, I wonder if you've got an A/C issue. Maybe your A/C still has enough refrigerant to keep cool, but it's got to run all out to keep up.

...Just trying to provide hope it something easy.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
826 Posts
It might need a complete re-install of the software update they just did. It might seem difficult to conceive but the software might be corrupted or incomplete.

Example: Mine got delivered with a lot of functions not working in the infotainment software. Although basic functions were there, it was missing a lot and some functions would crash. It had to get that software completely reinstalled. It is only speculation that the selling dealer had done just a partial update somehow. I was told that the Pathfinder updates can do that sometimes and give no indication to the tech.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My battery was faulty and was replaced with less than 3000 KM on the car. If you want to arm yourself with data record you SOC at the start and end of every trip. Also record your kwh/100 km used for each trip.

Download all of your trips from your jaguar account and add the additional trip data that you collect. You will then be able to show the dealer the regression. I think that you can also estimate the cars battery capacity with this data. I did post about this on another thread. There may be some useful data there.

Good luck

·
Registered
28 Posts
My vehicle fans are always silent when parked inside the garage. I hear them when I charge my vehicle. My previous Tesla always had the fan ON during summer months when it was hot outside. I used to get 4 miles less for 24 hrs parked inside. My IPACE doesn't lose even 1 mile when not driving. After all my recent updates in software, I am getting 209 miles with a full charge. I always check kwh/mile which is more reliable than what it shows on the GOM. Recently it is showing between 32 and 38 kwh/100 miles which is what I expect. My previous Tesla (85D) averaged about 34kwh/100miles from driving 55K miles. For your 30 miles round trip, GOM should have dropped between 30 and 39 miles. Hope the dealer finds the issue and solves it.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
THANK YOU for all the replies. My dealer said they will get back to me hopefully this Weds or Thurs. Luckily I got a nicer loaner....a new (1700 miles) Land Rover, this time with leather and SiriusXM :D

·
Registered
2019 Jaguar i-Pace HSE
300 Posts
FYI, if you want to run WattCat on your Mac, you can install BlueStacks, and install WattCat in that. I’ve done the same on mine so I can get more detail from the car. Good luck w/ the service tech, I hope they identify the problem.

·
Registered
66 Posts
FYI, if you want to run WattCat on your Mac, you can install BlueStacks, and install WattCat in that. I’ve done the same on mine so I can get more detail from the car. Good luck w/ the service tech, I hope they identify the problem.
That’s how I run WattCat. One issue is if you use the app Docker. The two can’t be installed on the same computer or it can cause the computer to lock up even if they are not on at the same time.

·
Registered
776 Posts
My vehicle fans are always silent when parked inside the garage. I hear them when I charge my vehicle. My previous Tesla always had the fan ON during summer months when it was hot outside. I used to get 4 miles less for 24 hrs parked inside. My IPACE doesn't lose even 1 mile when not driving. After all my recent updates in software, I am getting 209 miles with a full charge. I always check kwh/mile which is more reliable than what it shows on the GOM. Recently it is showing between 32 and 38 kwh/100 miles which is what I expect. My previous Tesla (85D) averaged about 34kwh/100miles from driving 55K miles. For your 30 miles round trip, GOM should have dropped between 30 and 39 miles. Hope the dealer finds the issue and solves it.
That's one of the biggest differences I see in terms of range & battery performance between my old Model S & the I-Pace. Like you, I'd lose 4 miles or more a day with the car just sitting there. I never could figure out why other than constant communication with the mother ship...but even so. The kitty loses nothing per day. Think about the loss of 28 miles a week or more for doing absolutely nothing with your car! Every couple of months that equates to losing a full charge. Nuts.

·
Registered
600 Posts
For comparison: Drove my I-PACE this morning starting with 100% battery charge @ 236 miles. Drove it for a total of 18.7 miles (9.6 miles @ 40.8 kWh/100 mi and 9.1 miles @ 39.7 kWh/100 mi). Range afterwards is 213 miles and 91% battery charge. So the difference between actual miles traveled and range drop is 4.3 miles. All in Comfort mode, auto climate @ 72F with outside temp around 72F.

·
Registered
2019 HSE Santorini Black
51 Posts
I'm reading this while listening to the fans precondition my car from my office with two brick walls between us

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yep. Pre-conditioning fans ARE loud.
...and we did preconditioning today in the Taycan; 100% silent. Preconditioning in my i3: 100% silent. There is no reason for the I-Pace to sound like this!!

·
Registered
61 Posts
FWIW, the preconditioning fan operation on the Volt is really loud as well. Not to state the obvious, but A/C systems on cars are primarily designed for when the car is moving and the system can take advantage of the airflow that naturally results from that. While the condenser can operate on a low fan speed while stopped at a traffic light for a short time, it will eventually get heat soaked and require a high fan speed to maintain operation. When preconditioning, the A/C is designed to deal with the heat soak immediately since the car obviously won't be moving and so you will get the max fan operation as soon as you start cooling the car. I generally precondition only in the afternoon shortly before my drive home from the office and there is a very noticeable battery hit. Even when plugged in to level 2 charger, the Volt battery will take a hit from preconditioning.

How does active battery cooling work on the I Pace? As usual, JLR does not offer much in the way of easy to find technical documentation. Does it use refrigerant or water-glycol? Chevy uses water-glycol and it does not require much (if any) fan operation in normal charging conditions. If the I Pace uses refrigerant, then I can understand why you may hear a fan when charging. My sense is that water-glycol is fine for most applications and is more efficient, but refrigerant will allow for longer periods of aggressive driving. There are also combo systems that use water-glycol with a heat exchanger that is integrated with the A/C system. Just spit balling here.

Reactions: Deutsch100

·
Premium Member
2019 I-Pace HSE - Borasco Grey
205 Posts
How does active battery cooling work on the I Pace? As usual, JLR does not offer much in the way of easy to find technical documentation. Does it use refrigerant or water-glycol? Chevy uses water-glycol and it does not require much (if any) fan operation in normal charging conditions. If the I Pace uses refrigerant, then I can understand why you may hear a fan when charging. My sense is that water-glycol is fine for most applications and is more efficient, but refrigerant will allow for longer periods of aggressive driving. There are also combo systems that use water-glycol with a heat exchanger that is integrated with the A/C system. Just spit balling here.
This article should answer a lot of your questions about battery cooling. Scroll about halfway down to "The Cooling System" for some pretty detailed info on cooling: Propulsion System Of The New Jaguar I-Pace. The whole article is pretty packed with highly detailed technical info. The article does mention coolant for the batteries ("The I-Pace battery has a cooling plate water cooling system integrated into the frame...")

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
826 Posts
The coolant is JLR's XLC coolant (Havoline XLC) part number LRN2279 (1 US gallon) that contains ethylene glycol, diethylene glycol, 2-ethyl hexanoic acid and sodium salt. It should be mixed with distilled water for a 50-70% coolant/water ratio (per the label). A 50/50 mixture should be good enough because I don't think any us would be out driving these at -84F/-64C using the maximum protection mixture.

When you remove the covers for inspection, you'll see the orange liquid in two expansion bottles. One is for the battery (right side or passenger side in US) and the other is for the motors (left side or driver side in the US).

1 - 20 of 67 Posts