Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a leap into the unknown last month and drove my First Edition from Monaco to the UK and back, 3500kms in total. It went like a dream! Turns out that intervals between charges - every 280-300 kms or so - is also about as long as I want to drive without a break, and about the right time to spend on the road before I need refuelling myself.
Charging on the French motorways has greatly improved since I first started worrying about it in 2019 and as it was September I only had to wait once, for about one minute, for a charger to come free. Over in the UK charging was less advanced, disappointing even, and except where I found Ionity chargers the charging was slow and very expensive. But on the plus side, it was nice to see other Ipaces on the road, such a rarity at home, and fellow motorists at charging points were way friendlier than in France.
I'm thrilled because I don't want to trade in the Ipace for another until range and charging speed are about double what they are now. In my view, this is still the best EV out there so there's no way I'm going to settle for anything less just for the sake of change.

· Registered
2022 Black
11 Posts
I just got back from my first long trip as well! Idaho to Oregon coast and back. It's a 7.5 hour drive with no stops; with EV stops, it took about 9 hours. Interesting enough, the charging breaks broke down the driving time into chunks that made the drive feel far shorter than that. I am now an expert Walmart shopper. ;) No wait times. Some chargers were down but the PlugShare app let me know what to expect as I rolled into each station. Best of all, Electrify America chargers were free for the duration of the trip. Saved me hundreds I would have spent fueling my RAM 1500!

· Registered
48 Posts
Just got back from a short midwest jaunt; 165 miles. Gently rolling terrain. Pretty stiff headwind for most of the way. Outside temp 34-40F. Driving 65 mph for 75 miles & 70 mph for 90 miles. Even though the battery was at 100% at the start, I had to stop at the 75 mile stretch to charge at a 22kw charger to add another 12% (that was a boring 40 min I'll never get back). Even with that boost, I pulled in with 5% of the battery remaining and the low battery alarm going crazy. 165 miles. This car could not even complete 165 miles even with supplemental charging. Had I not charged midway, I would be dead in the water in the middle of Nowhere, WI.

· Registered
87 Posts
Just got back from a short midwest jaunt; 165 miles. Gently rolling terrain. Pretty stiff headwind for most of the way. Outside temp 34-40F. Driving 65 mph for 75 miles & 70 mph for 90 miles. Even though the battery was at 100% at the start, I had to stop at the 75 mile stretch to charge at a 22kw charger to add another 12% (that was a boring 40 min I'll never get back). Even with that boost, I pulled in with 5% of the battery remaining and the low battery alarm going crazy. 165 miles. This car could not even complete 165 miles even with supplemental charging. Had I not charged midway, I would be dead in the water in the middle of Nowhere, WI.
next time do not waste your time charging at such low powered chargers!
get plugshare for your phone to help you locate faster chargers, filter out any charger below 50 kw, and avoid those as well, I don't drive in such cold weather so I can't speak to the cold weather hit on range, here in FL I get close to what the range indicator says I should be getting

· Registered
995 Posts
next time do not waste your time charging at such low powered chargers!
get plugshare for your phone to help you locate faster chargers, filter out any charger below 50 kw, and avoid those as well, I don't drive in such cold weather so I can't speak to the cold weather hit on range, here in FL I get close to what the range indicator says I should be getting
There likely wasn’t a high speed charger close by. He lives in Wisconsin. I would imagine the options are limited to find one within 100 miles that was easier than the option he took.

I’m surprised that his vehicle only lasted 165 miles. That seems low. I haven’t really road tripped mine in awhile so can’t compare

· Registered
141 Posts
There likely wasn’t a high speed charger close by. He lives in Wisconsin. I would imagine the options are limited to find one within 100 miles that was easier than the option he took.

I’m surprised that his vehicle only lasted 165 miles. That seems low. I haven’t really road tripped mine in awhile so can’t compare
Unless that was some headwind, 165 miles is not right for an I-Pace.

· Registered
286 Posts
Unless that was some headwind, 165 miles is not right for an I-Pace.
I don't think it's really that far off. Low temps (perhaps even cold-soaked before the start), headwind, and highway speeds all reduce range by a noticeable amount. I often count on about 180 miles of range in the winter when commuting, but my commute isn't entirely highways, so 165 seems within the realm of (disappointing) possibility. FWIW, I'm fairly certain there is nothing wrong with my car because it delivers 200+ miles in the warmer months and the kWh added while charging always squares with the nominal battery capacity.

· Registered
706 Posts
I don't think it's really that far off. Low temps (perhaps even cold-soaked before the start), headwind, and highway speeds all reduce range by a noticeable amount. I often count on about 180 miles of range in the winter when commuting, but my commute isn't entirely highways, so 165 seems within the realm of (disappointing) possibility. FWIW, I'm fairly certain there is nothing wrong with my car because it delivers 200+ miles in the warmer months and the kWh added while charging always squares with the nominal battery capacity.
I've never gotten below 250 in the coldest days climbing onto Vermont or New Hampshire mountains. What kind of speeds were you doing?

· Registered
286 Posts
What do you mean you've never gotten below 250? I think maybe we have a units misunderstanding. There is no way you are seeing an actual 250 miles of range from a full charge at any time of year, let alone during winter in New England or Quebec unless your entire trip is downhill both ways ;)

· Registered
87 Posts
What do you mean you've never gotten below 250? I think maybe we have a units misunderstanding. There is no way you are seeing an actual 250 miles of range from a full charge at any time of year, let alone during winter in New England or Quebec unless your entire trip is downhill both ways ;)
you have a 2019, the 2021's get better range, I can easily get around 240+ while driving at 70 +/- here in florida

· Registered
286 Posts
you have a 2019, the 2021's get better range, I can easily get around 240+ while driving at 70 +/- here in florida
I am pretty sure they get the same range - there is no material difference between them, AFAIK. 2019s got the "range increase" update when it was released a few years ago. Are you really getting 240 miles of actual driven range or are you saying the GOM says 240 for a full charge? They are not the same thing. My GOM said 252 on my most recent charge to 100% but I would never actually expect to be able to drive 252 miles.

· Registered
995 Posts
I am pretty sure they get the same range - there is no material difference between them, AFAIK. 2019s got the "range increase" update when it was released a few years ago. Are you really getting 240 miles of actual driven range or are you saying the GOM says 240 for a full charge? They are not the same thing. My GOM said 252 on my most recent charge to 100% but I would never actually expect to be able to drive 252 miles.
yeah. Important not to confuse the GOM with real world range. My i pace says 240 miles at a full charge, but I don’t expect it to go that far. My Audi says 580 miles on a tank of gas. I’m lucky to get 450. My Porsche said 350 but then the light would turn on at around 250 miles.

· Registered
87 Posts
I get very close to what the car says I will get. that said I haven't driven the car in cold or even cool weather. are you using the cabin heater? using the cabin heater will kill range.
try only using it to get the car warm then shut it down and use the seat heaters to keep warm.

· Registered
5 Posts
I get very close to what the car says I will get. that said I haven't driven the car in cold or even cool weather. are you using the cabin heater? using the cabin heater will kill range.
try only using it to get the car warm then shut it down and use the seat heaters to keep warm.
ehh…it was about 7 below zero and at the temp, you need the heat to work or the windshield/ windows will frost up. Either way, it’s fine, you just need to stop and charge more frequently. Still more than happy with the car! In normal temps, you are are right, the range is pretty spot on. Good to push it in all climates and it drives better in the snow than anything I’ve ever driven!

· Registered
2020 JaguarI-Pace
33 Posts
ehh…it was about 7 below zero and at the temp, you need the heat to work or the windshield/ windows will frost up. Either way, it’s fine, you just need to stop and charge more frequently. Still more than happy with the car! In normal temps, you are are right, the range is pretty spot on. Good to push it in all climates and it drives better in the snow than anything I’ve ever driven!
I can imagine that you have to put some extra thought into cold weather driving. Living in Southern California, I don't see temp drop below 40 so I have not experienced the range impact at low temps. I do have the cold weather pack though and must say the heated steering wheel is my favorite winter feature.

· Registered
48 Posts
Are we “using the cabin heater”? Really? Warming the interior before driving in cold weather is nice for quick comfort, but when you‘re driving the car down the road in cold temps you, personally, will freeze and the car will frost up way before you get to grandma’s house. Besides, I didn’t drop the dime on this car to drive around in the cold. I absolutely understand that cold weather lowers the battery’s potential, along with wind and speed. My point was about how disappointed I am with the oversold estimated range of this vehicle. I did not see on YouTube any of the videos testing the range of the car driving at 70 mph. I don’t know if any were made before December 2020. In these tests, there were no hills with wind & temperatures not being a factor. In these vids, the I-Pace got about 170 miles of range. That is close to 30% less than the stated potential range. That is so far off as to be useless. Had I known this information, I would’ve never bought this car. I knew the drives I wanted to make and the distances I needed on a full charge. I read about many you others obtaining these high range totals (250 miles?!) and I really find that hard to believe.

· Registered
2020 JaguarI-Pace
33 Posts
Are we “using the cabin heater”? Really? Warming the interior before driving in cold weather is nice for quick comfort, but when you‘re driving the car down the road in cold temps you, personally, will freeze and the car will frost up way before you get to grandma’s house. Besides, I didn’t drop the dime on this car to drive around in the cold. I absolutely understand that cold weather lowers the battery’s potential, along with wind and speed. My point was about how disappointed I am with the oversold estimated range of this vehicle. I did not see on YouTube any of the videos testing the range of the car driving at 70 mph. I don’t know if any were made before December 2020. In these tests, there were no hills with wind & temperatures not being a factor. In these vids, the I-Pace got about 170 miles of range. That is close to 30% less than the stated potential range. That is so far off as to be useless. Had I known this information, I would’ve never bought this car. I knew the drives I wanted to make and the distances I needed on a full charge. I read about many you others obtaining these high range totals (250 miles?!) and I really find that hard to believe.
Haha, Bucky! Don't you want to become a human popsicle? Use your heater folks because we paid good money for our cars. Just remember that your outside temperature will impact your range. The heated seats and steering wheels use far less energy so if you find a balance between those features and the fan speed, you should see an uptick in range.

Living in Southern California is possibly the best driving environment for EVs during the winter because of our mild climate and our stop-and-go traffic to regenerate electricity. If the weather is in the 50-60s outside, and all I have to use is heat with fan on speed #1-2, then I can without a doubt achieve 248 miles of range. In the winter I have to use cabin heat, but it is not necessary to set it above fan speed #1-2 to be comfortable, plus I use my heated steering wheel. On our chillier days, I will set the heat with fan setting on #3-4 and I can achieve around 212 miles of range in the winter months, but our winter months do not drop below 40 at all so the car does not have to compensate for freezing temperatures. I cannot speak for anyone else driving in cold weather locations because I am sure your range is impacted and this is a common problem with all EVs. Let's see how the Fisker Ocean performs because that EV has a slightly smaller battery than our i-pace and has a standard range up to 350. Curious to see how seasonal driving requirements impact the Fisker #s.

· Registered
706 Posts
Show me a single car, be it EV or ICE that gets the stated range. These numbers are essentially derived from a standardized test that makes it easier to compare one car to the next as opposed to absolute range. There are dozens of videos that go back to the release of the car with range tests, some specifically in the cold. This is not unique to the Jag, but simply a fact of life in EVs, so you either accept it (and adapt with a few more charge stops) or stick to an ICE car. It is definitely the Achilles heel of EVs but nothing is perfect. This was ,made more obvious during the pandemic. A lot of the road-side stops had been closed to the public (other than takeout) during the peak of the pandemic, so I spent many hours sitting in my cold car cradling a coffee because there was nowhere to go while charging.

One comment about the impact of the cabin heater on range. I have looked at this several times while on long trips in winter (I've done several at -20c) and in reality, the impact of the heater is often pretty low (a few miles) because the cabin heat comes from the heat pump, which scavenges heat from the motor. I think the biggest impact comes from reduced battery efficiency from the cold.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts