Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there have been various posts that deal with this subject to a certain extent from various angles - but, at the risk of irritating some forum members who might just say, do a search, RTFM, etc. I wanted to get a bit of advice - since, I do not want to fry or blow up any of the electronics on my car by making a misstep.

Almost three months ago, I started to get the warning messages indicative of a 12v battery fault/impending failure, starting with 'OK to drive with caution. Brake pedal feel reduced.', which progressed to somewhat more serious fault messages. I took the car into a dealer here before the car died whilst driving it, though I think that it did give up the ghost while at the dealership during service. I cannot locate the service invoice at the moment, but my recollection is that they replaced the power supply distribution unit and at least one of the two 12v batteries.

Yesterday, as on every day since getting the car back from service, the car ran just fine, I put it in the garage and turned it off. This morning, I went to the car to take it for a drive and it was completely dead. I don't lock the car while it is in our garage, so no problem getting into it, thankfully. From reading various posts on this forum (thank you all!), I figured that I needed to jump start the 12v system, or slowly charge it. The service manager at the dealership, who seems to be a very keen I-Pace enthusiast (he had one as a company car for a year), told me no problem to jump it with the lithium-ion jumpstarter that I have used with ICE cars (a Schumacher device) to see if I could get it into the dealer, or at least out on the street where it would be easier to tow it in. Either something from the previous service is amiss, or there is a software issue that allowed more than normal electricity to be drawn while the car was stopped overnight.

I just want to be certain of: is that safe? (using the jumpstarter device); which battery of the two to connect the charger to (I'm assuming the larger one on the passenger side of the compartment); and exactly what locations to use for the positive and negative leads so as not to damage any of the electrical components, particularly the BMS on the battery(ies).

After this is sorted, a trickle charger is in my future (actually, already ordered to arrive Friday).

Thanks in advance - sorry for the lengthy post...

·
Super Moderator
2,665 Posts
Hi Harmony, welcome! This isn't a direct answer to your question but you're one of the few here whose service manager is an I-Pace enthusiast! That's very lucky. There is a way to release the parking brake ... it's documented here somewhere. @Ayepace probably knows ...

·
Registered
2019 S with S21A and 16.2
110 Posts
Those jump start devices will work perfectly for the lead acid 12V battery(batteries) in your Ipace. If you switched one out with a lightweight aftermarket battery then I would recommend a trickle charger instead.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Harmony, welcome! This isn't a direct answer to your question but you're one of the few here whose service manager is an I-Pace enthusiast! That's very lucky. There is a way to release the parking brake ... it's documented here somewhere. @Ayepace probably knows ...
Thanks for the response. The issue is that our garage has a rather steep driveway leading down to the street, so if I put the car in 'neutral' by releasing the parking brake, I am afraid the car will not be stoppable at the end of the driveway when the car is not powered up. (I've, of course, never released the parking brake with car off to test to see if the brake pedal will still function - it should - it would on our XF, just with no power assist - but cannot risk it!).

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Those jump start devices will work perfectly for the lead acid 12V battery(batteries) in your Ipace. If you switched one out with a lightweight aftermarket battery then I would recommend a trickle charger instead.
Thanks for your reply. Your comment echoes the one the service manager gave me - I just need to be sure of which of the two batteries I need to charge. I'm assuming the larger of the two. And, exactly where to attach the negative so that I do not fry the BMS of said battery.

·
Registered
195 Posts
There is nothing special about the I-Pace 12v batteries. Any low amp lead acid 12v battery charger should work to charge the 12v batteries up. A simple volt meter will tell you which battery to charge(everyone needs one of these anyway). But there is a possibility the charging system for the 12v batteries is not working correctly and is shorting your batteries, so your charge can't be stored in the battery. I would definitely hesitate to actually jump start the I-Pace's 12v batteries from an ICE car with a 500amp battery in it. If you do get the I-Pace running, don't turn it off until it is at the dealer. Leave the car in neutral with the parking brake on, to prevent the car from turning itself off when you open the door. There is no internal BMS in the I-Pace's 12v lead acid batteries.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
1,303 Posts
Apologies for the late response. I've been out of town all day. Car browser doesn't work for responses.

Large battery on passenger side. If you take loose the large trim panel on that side you'll see a ground point. Make sure that has the car's ground secure. Ground charger there. Carefully take red plastic cover loose from positive post and connect there.

There is a BMS module on the battery's negative post. You won't do any harm to it by attaching the charger as described above.

Make sure the connections at the posts are secure and haven't come loose, too.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Apologies for the late response. I've been out of town all day. Car browser doesn't work for responses.

Large battery on passenger side. If you take loose the large trim panel on that side you'll see a ground point. Make sure that has the car's ground secure. Ground charger there. Carefully take red plastic cover loose from positive post and connect there.

There is a BMS module on the battery's negative post. You won't do any harm to it by attaching the charger as described above.

Make sure the connections at the posts are secure and haven't come loose, too.
Thanks! Actually, I braved jumping the car earlier today after re-examining one of the previously posted photos of the battery compartment, identifying the 'blade' which was earthed (checked with multimeter), and checking the voltage of the samller auxiliary battery (just shy of 13v). I jumped it very quickly after that, car woke up right away.

The service manager and I decided I better not drive it to the dealership (15 miles away) even though I got it started, as it was already giving me the dreaded first-tier warning of 'Brake pedal feel reduced...', and we didn't want the car dying along the way. He pretty much insisted that he call Roadside Assistance to deal with it - good guy. Also got a Velar as a loaner which, though neither an I-Pace nor an XF Sportbrake, is a more than satisfactory loaner vehicle, I think.

The question is: why has this happened for a second time in three months???

·
Super Moderator
2,665 Posts
The Velar, haha! It's a really nice car :)

Re: your question ... good question! I guess their first guess was wrong ... hopefully they'll dig deeper. Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
206 Posts
The Velar is a great road trip car, but the I Pace is always the first car chosen for any trip below 200 miles. Our Velar has been reliable and the styling is aging well. We plan on keeping it as our road trip car and the last of the ICEs that we own. We'll grab a cheap used i3 for and an additional city car to go along with the I Pace which we also plan on keeping long term.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Velar, haha! It's a really nice car :)

Re: your question ... good question! I guess their first guess was wrong ... hopefully they'll dig deeper. Good luck and keep us posted!
re: Velar vs. I-Pace - as I said, it is neither an I-Pace or an XF - as you, the reviewer judged, it is indeed, comparatively speaking, a boat - I was just glad I didn't get a Toyota ;) (I don't know if their loaner fleet actually descends that low - I expect they have all JLR cars, as since purchasing the dealership they have touted their loaner service. But, the previous owner of the dealership in that location had odds and sods in their loaner fleet.) So, I think I am well taken care of, especially since they did not have much notice I was sending my car to them.

re: first guess being wrong - that may be, though there is the possibility that though they replaced the power distribution module in June, the replacement has also failed. So, I am prepared to either hear a second unit has failed, or there is yet another cause for no 12v (I believe they replaced the battery as well in June - I should look the invoice up). ~sigh~ I do still really love the car, though.

I will indeed keep y'all posted. Last go-round, they had my car for the better part of three weeks, as I remember, waiting for parts from England. The loaner then, by the way, was far better - an XE. Fairly nice little car, that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts