Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
My JB and I-Pace had followed TOU charging flawlessly for weeks until the night after I had an appointment with the Jaguar dealer post-purchase concierge to go over all the features of the car.

The only changes made to settings during that appointment were to update the date format to US from UK and it was the first time I had ever set a pre-condition schedule.

Since then I have had to unlock/lock the car after TOU to get it to charge.

I have only used the JB TOU schedule, I've never set the in-car charge timer.

I have experimented with the car left locked/unlocked, morning departure precondition set/unset.

I have a theory that setting up a precondition schedule once causes the car to go into a deeper sleep state and maybe wont respond to the charger when TOU starts.

For folks that have no problems with their JB's, do you have or have you ever set a precondition schedule?
I have the Juicebox set to TOU start primary charge at 12am, I have the iPace set to pre-condition from 7am Mon-Fri. I set the pre-condition on the vehicle infotainment, not on the phone app. Works fine for me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I can confirm with Juicebox Pro the TOU was not working seemingly as the I-Pace was not waking up properly.

With a work-around of setting a preconditioned departure at 11:45p I have had the I-Pace start charging every night usually shortly after the TOU period starts at 11:00p.

A chat with the dealer folks in San Jose indicates that this TOU charging problem seems to be hitting some cars, but not all. Didn't sound like a fix was known.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I can confirm with Juicebox Pro the TOU was not working seemingly as the I-Pace was not waking up properly.

With a work-around of setting a preconditioned departure at 11:45p I have had the I-Pace start charging every night usually shortly after the TOU period starts at 11:00p.

A chat with the dealer folks in San Jose indicates that this TOU charging problem seems to be hitting some cars, but not all. Didn't sound like a fix was known.
To confirm, you used the JB TOU not the car's correct? I assume it's a minimal amount of wasted energy since it's only for 30 mins...of course depends on outside temp too. Nice workaround-I'll have to try it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Absolutely correct. I don't notice any power loss. The car is in a garage (in CA) so pretty mild temps all year. The work-around has been doing great for me these last few months.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I’m experiencing the same scheduled TOU charging issues as SipherHex, with the only difference my EVSE is a ChargePoint. For the first 4 months of ownership, scheduled charging worked flawlessly. Now, when the charging period starts, ChargePoint app signals it is beginning charging, but stops almost immediately. To re-initiate charging, I have to unlock and re-lock the I-Pace and charging continues until the scheduled stop time. I guessing that ChargePoint loses communication with the I-Pace or that the I-Pace simply goes to sleep and can’t be awaken by ChargePoint. More recently, the situation has deteriorated. Charging now fails to stop at the scheduled stop time. Given that both Juice Pro and ChargePoint EVSE have the same problem, it’s clearly something idiosyncratic in the I-Pace. I’m give SipherHex’s work around a try.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm also a home ChargePoint user and have needed a workaround since day one to use TOU charging. The ChargePoint charger will not "wake up" the car unless: a) the car is set with a time of departure sometime the next day; b) the scheduled charge time in the car is set to "on" at a time aligned with the TOU times that are best (for me, midnight to 6AM); and the ChargePoint is then plugged into the car during a time window when the ChargePoint schedule says it should be charging. For example, set the ChargePoint schedule to begin at 1 PM, plug the car in at 6PM. At first there is a bit of "hand shaking" that goes on for a few minutes that makes it seem like it is charging right away. But that will subside in a few moments. Then the timed charging in the car takes over and it will start at midnight.

One final thing that I and others have noted: you must set the ChargePoint timer to *stop* the charging at your desired time. Otherwise, the car will keep charging until it gets to 100%. Even if the car-based timer is set to stop at a particular time, it won't stop. At least for me and several others on this thread and the UK one. But the ChargePoint-based scheduled stop time will stop the charging.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Confirmation that Siphehex work around is the key. To adhere to my area’s TOU, I set ChargePoint schedule to 11 pm and the I-Pace’s departure time to 11:15 pm. ChargePoint begins charging as scheduled at 11 pm, unlike the case when no departure time was set and ChargePoint failed to begin charging. :)

·
Registered
41 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Also, if there are any other SDGE customers (San Diego Gas & Electric) TOU customers here, do you know if the EV-TOU-5 plan rate quotes (e.g., 9 cents per kWh during Super Off-Peak hours) is for the combined Electricity Delivery and Electricity Generation charges, or only one of those?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Also, if there are any other SDGE customers (San Diego Gas & Electric) TOU customers here, do you know if the EV-TOU-5 plan rate quotes (e.g., 9 cents per kWh during Super Off-Peak hours) is for the combined Electricity Delivery and Electricity Generation charges, or only one of those?
It is for the combined. You pay the flat fee of $16/month and then the 9cents per kwh used for 12-6am on weeknights and 12-2pm on weekends and holidays. This rate is all year, so not affected by summer or winter. I downloaded the PDF rate sheet, which I found somewhere on their website.

·
Registered
41 Posts
It is for the combined. You pay the flat fee of $16/month and then the 9cents per kwh used for 12-6am on weeknights and 12-2pm on weekends and holidays. This rate is all year, so not affected by summer or winter. I downloaded the PDF rate sheet, which I found somewhere on their website.

Thanks, @alphanstein , that's the answer I was hoping for regarding the combined rate. And I just found the PDF that you referred to: https://www.sdge.com/total-electric-rates

I think there may be a variation for summer and winter, though; it looks like the summer on-peak rate is double the winter on-peak rate.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Thanks, @alphanstein , that's the answer I was hoping for regarding the combined rate. And I just found the PDF that you referred to: https://www.sdge.com/total-electric-rates

I think there may be a variation for summer and winter, though; it looks like the summer on-peak rate is double the winter on-peak rate.
Correct, the tradeoff of TOU5 is that for the summer months, you end up paying >0.53 cents per kWh from 4-9pm. It is higher than the other TOU rates. But if you charge a pure BEV, then TOU5 is the best plan because otherwise charging at >0.20 cents per kWh adds up quickly if you do it every night like we do, averaging about 39kWh a night. We actually have solar plus a battery, so we use the battery to discharge from 4-9PM and thus offset that peak period with stored solar energy.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts