Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this Facebook link from Dec 2019 on the UK forum a few minutes ago.

(Tech talk med Stephen Boulter.)

Around 47mins the discussion turns to ACC and steering assist. An interesting statement that JLR recognizes that their system may not be as autonomous as other systems and does not want it to be. Perhaps to be expected from a maker that emphasizes the thrill of the driving experience, but nonetheless a little too honest in this day and age.

Note also the discussion around the 41min mark regarding moose. Software really needs to be highly adaptable for regional variations these days!

·
Super Moderator
2,346 Posts
We've had spirited discussions about this on this forum in the past. I think the consensus from back then was that it's all about expectations.

The system in our kitties is to take the edge off standard driving. You pay attention, but the adaptive cruise control does its thing and the lane keep assist helps you. But you have to pay attention.

Tesla contaminated the discussion by claiming autopilot, which it isn't, but of course it has a way more capable system than JLR.

Here's another fun comparison:
1. Tesla's "autopilot" quits when driver input is detected, which makes sense if you claim autonomy: when the driver intervenes clearly something is going wrong.
2. Our system requires driver input because it's an assist system.

If you expect your assist system to be "autopilot" you're going to be disappointed in its capabilities. If you understand it as an "assist" system you'll be happy about it! [As I am.]

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Agreed.

I enjoy driving. I enjoy being in control on the highway. That said, with age, I find the shoulders get tired easier than they used to and steering assist is a godsend in this respect.

With the current interest in the future of steering assist on newer model kitties, this attitude may help to explain JLR's thinking.

·
Registered
219 Posts
From what I understand Tesla autopilot is still a glorified level 2 assist system, not level 3. For whatever reason Tesla is not doing anything to dispel that myth. Tesla owners dont seem to be aware or acknowledge this It's not full self driving and the driver is supposed to remain in control at all times - no sleeping, video games...
The thankfully few fatalities but unreported crashes show this. Not sure why Tesla doesn't address this more aggressively.

·
Registered
75 Posts
For short trips, roads that wind, in places where I want to drive.... I drive.
For longer trips, just cruising down the highway, where my shoulders get tired too.... I LKA and ACC. Very comfortable then.

·
Registered
963 Posts
JLR is very risk adverse, as they should be.
I-Pace ADAS is wonderful IMO. I use every single time im on the highway and understand it's capabilities now. I can text and drive, not pay attention as much, but know I still need to be aware that I can't fully rely on it because it will disengage without notice.
I have very dark windows and not the greatest night vision so It saves me on every drive from lane changes.

Tesla AP is the only ADAS that I know of that discourags driver involvement because any torque of the steering wheel disengages the AP.
Putting your hand on the steering wheel is only a CYA for Tesla.
There a wrongful death lawsuits against them for this as it's false advertisement and misleading in so many ways

1 - 6 of 6 Posts