Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

JLR Subscription Service?

3K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  Scufflegrit 
#1 ·
#4 ·
I agree. Probably the reason I don't even lease a car. I've always bought a car an owned it for the better part of 100,000 miles before trading for a new car. My RX-8 was the exception with only 47,000 miles on it after 13.5 years when I sold it last month due to my I-Pace purchase. :cool: I plan to keep the I-Pace for years to come unless there is a serious reason it no longer is a good and dependable car.

I'm all for JLR doing whatever it takes to make money. A satisfied customer and a profitable business is exactly what will continue to get us new and better cars in the future. If they can make money with a subscription service, why not do it. If people out there want to spend money getting a new car every six months, more power to them. That just means more secure jobs for those designing and building the cars and the supporting companies supplying JLR.

For me, I have my I-Pace attachment already and I don't see the need to spend the money to get a new car every 6 months. I'll be very happy to see that Firenze Red Jaguar I-Pace in my driveway for a long time, as long as she keeps purring.

#8 ·
I found more on this:

"There are four tiers - Blue, Indigo, Violet and Ultraviolet - with subscription prices ranging from £750 to £1,600 a month. There is also a one-off signing-up fee of £550.

The scheme has been launched in order to cater for a shift in the whole idea of car ownership.

Already 18 per cent of drivers prefer no-commitment subscriptions to paid-up ownership. These drivers are predicted to account for nearly 10 per cent of all new sales in Europe and the USA by 2025 – equivalent to around 16 million vehicles.

The service will allow members to adapt their vehicle choice every six months, to suit their changing lifestyle, whether it’s a new job, growing a family or the need for greater flexibility.

Early trials have proven the scheme to be an effective way of encouraging new customers to try the Jaguar and Land Rover brands, with 80% of new members not having previously owned either."

#13 ·
Call me old fashioned, but I don't see it.
I have always kept a car for as many years as possible. In the last 30 yrs I had a T-bird while I was single or kidless, a 5l V-8 Mountaineer while gas prices were low and we had a family at home, that morphed into an Escape hybrid as gas prices rose. Finally moving to the I-Pace last year.
Yes, family needs changed and the vehicle changed accordingly. Jobs changed. Commutes changed.
I am not convinced that regularly changing cars through either leasing or subscriptions addresses a "need" for most consumers, but rather a "want". In this regard consumer preferences have changed and I am not casting a moral or ethical judgement on this, however I believe that long term ownership of a reliable vehicle is the most cost effective approach. Thus, this is question of cost and priorities. I don't feel I need the latest tech, safety, etc every 3 yrs etc, others do.
So long as ownship is not penalized, I can tolerate other options. Indeed, vehicles coming off a subscription service may be good value purchases for those with my mind of thinking.

#16 ·
This is the problem with the subscription model.
Also what do you do with the car at the end of life?
The used car market will absorb these cars at the end of their lease term. Is the secondary as relevant if more people are subscribing and not owning?

With self driving cars, the money will be in the data when it hits scale. Companies like GM are the best positioned with their hands in Cruz and Lyft.
Probably why JLR is working with Waymo

#19 ·
And some new info:

"Up to two named drivers are included on the insurance and cars are limited to 1,500 miles per month. If the customer wants to change their car sooner, a £250 charge will be applied.

At launch there are a number of different membership tiers, ranging from £750 to £1,600 per month.

‘Blue’ is the entry-level service and for £750 a month a customer can choose a Land Rover Discovery Sport, Jaguar F-Pace or a Range Rover Evoque, while ‘Indigo’ – for £1,150 per month – opens up the I-Pace electric SUV, Range Rover Velar and the Land Rover Discovery."

#22 ·
I prefer to buy and keep a car 6-7 years. With how we've got the purchases staggered it allows us to keep 3 cars while only having 2 car payments at a time. You can't do that with a subscription service. Our oldest vehicle is now my wife's 2015 328d wagon which was just paid off. In a couple years our 2018 F150 will paid for and we'll replace her diesel wagon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.