Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

I would buy an IPACE again?

• Not ever. I've had nothing but issues.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

· Registered
2020 I-Pase HSE in Fuji White
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. I love my Ipace. It is the best car I have ever owned. I've had BMW's, Cadillacs, Audi's, Corvettes, etc. To me it's an exotic looking car that is timeless and classic in style. It drives like a sports car but has lots of storage to make it function like a much larger SUV. With that said I would like to talk about what fixes need to be made or design changes to make future Ipace's relevant in today's market and what not to change. I'll go first and then after a week or so I will send this to the JLR Customer Service department and any other department that I think is relevant. .

1. Keep the styling. I would not change a thing. Add an option for a two tone paint job. This is how Victory motorcycles competed with Harley when they were in business. They offered amazing paint on their bikes.
2. Wheel choices. I would love to see more innovative, interesting wheel designs. That said I love the stock wheels on the 2020 HSE
3. Tires: Please get rid of the Goodyear tires that come stock on most of our cars. These tires literally fall apart and are dangerous, imho. A premium car needs premium tires.
4. Charging port: I park my car in an area of my yard that doesn't have the best lighting. The little light under the charging port door is inadequate. We need a large light so we can get the charging cable hooked up on the first try. I find that I have to pull my phone out and use the flashlight for help.
5. The sensor that opens the rear hatch with a waving foot is terrible. Sometimes it works and most times it just frustrates the user. This is crazy. Fix the sensor to work on the first time, every time.
6. Make the button to open the rear hatch larger.
7. If possible make it so the rear seats can be opened from the rear hatch or from inside the car.
8. KEEP the tactile buttons. Please don't go to all touch screens and don't glue a screen on to the top of the dash like BMW does. For simple tasks like changing heat temps the physical buttons work best. SOme touch screens are fine. I think the current IPACE does a good job of melding the two.
9. Please fix the "hands free driving" it doesn't work in most situations and can be dangerous. I've had this option off and the car still pulled the car back into the lane when I got close to the shoulder line. This is very surprising and can be alarming. In situations where the road lines are in excellent condition the car will not always stay in the lane. I would like this function to work properly.
10. Cruise control. I find that turning on cruise is a learning curve and can be frustrating to enable at times. This needs to be simplified.
11. HUD. I would give more options on how this can be configured. It does work well and I love having it.
12. Range. Obviously the range needs to be closer to 400 miles and charging speeds need to be updated to the latest and greatest.
13. Suspension. The car rides like a magic carpet. I wouldn't do much here. The air suspension and being able to raise and lower the car is brilliant.
14. Driving dynamics. This car is a real driver. It comes close to my C7 Corvette on curvy roads. Don't mess this up and don't change the shape of the wheel to be cool. It is cool, as is.
15. Infotainment center: There are a lot of things to like. I don't mind finding all the settings since they are only set once. However, the GPS needs to be updated to work better. I would love to see a Google system in the car and yes we need it to be more snappy and less buggy but overall I don't have huge problems with it but yes it needs a major overhaul. Privipro is a good start. .

I'll end it here even though I have a ton more to write. Remember to vote

· Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just read that in the last quarter JLR only sold around 5k units while Tesla sold around 235k units. Why do you think this is so since the Ipace is such a beautiful car. Is it the mask or not being reliable, production issues, marketing or something else. I also read that JLR is hard at work revamping the Ipace for a total redo.

· Registered
995 Posts
Having bought a new 2022 in January I’m biased!

I echo many of your points. The suspension and handling dynamics are its main selling point. But you can’t the explain the experience like you can 0-60 times and range. So people don’t understand it o experience it.

The range for 240 miles is not bad. The new e trons have about the same. So do the EV6 and it’s cousins. And the I pace was made in 2019. It’s the big battery I think. Efficiency is not an I pace strong point.

I find that it’s hard to remember to close the charging port. I have no idea why I cannot remember to close the flap when I take out the charger. I wish it would close automatically!

· Registered
286 Posts
I think a lot of the relative failure of he I-pace boils down to brand perception of Jaguar in general. They build cars that are long on style but otherwise don't offer a compelling selling proposition and aren't clearly positioned in the market. JLR's struggles in marketing the I-pace are a microcosm of their struggle to market the entire brand.

Re specific line items:

5. Have you seen the video online about how to kick at the corner to open the hatch? If not I highly recommend it. I've had 4 vehicles now with this feature and the I-pace is far and away the best of them. The kick gesture shown in the video works 100% of the time on my I-pace.
9. The I-pace does not have "hands free driving" and it's not advertised to be that. This may be a case of misplaced expectations in what the system is intended for and capable of.

· Registered
19 Posts
OK, I'm piling on-
Cons -
No rear wiper and washer?!? – What the **** were you thinking! We have real weather here; It snows here - hard! There’s not enough aerodynamics in the world to keep that teeny tiny rear window clear

The location of the charging port is terrible. I much prefer it in the back or front center, accessible from either side, or on the passenger side. In my case, the location makes it difficult to back into my driveway and charge, and makes curbside (US) charging difficult. And it needs a proper light

The lag on the infotainment system is quite problematic. Combined with a menu system that is not intuitive, this makes for difficulty using all elements of the system – navigation, settings, etc.

I would much prefer a stick shifter to transmission buttons. Something more like the BMW i4, or Volvo Recharge XC40 or (my favorite) the Audi e-tron. The existing buttons look old-fashioned and cheap, not at all in keeping with the luxury feel of the car overall. And it is easy to hit the wrong button.

Locking of cable when charging is problematic. It should lock only if the car is locked. If the car is unlocked, the cable should be unlocked

There should be two buttons on the tailgate, one to close and one to close and lock. My BMW x3 had this!.

Keyless entry – okay, but Lexus has it so that the interior lights come up as you approach the car. Nice safety touch.

No Google “send to car.” Even my BMW i3 had this!* (and no, Jaguar Route Planning doesn’t make up for it because it took six months to sign into it and even now it doesn’t work consistently!!!)

Needs retractable cargo cover.

And a dashcam like the Tesla. Aren’t the cameras already there?!

Dream wishes -
  • Massaging seats
  • A car like the I-Pace needs to have brightly colored (Brembo?) brake calipers as an option!
  • Easy entry/exit, steering wheel
  • Dog Mode – on Tesla, a program that keeps the AC on when car is locked and displays a message and countdown timer to let onlookers know that the animal is safe in the car.
Things they got right -
  • Beautiful styling, I like that you kept the grille; it still looks like a Jaguar. It is just a beautiful, beautiful car and the longer one looks at it, the more elegant it seems. Whether looking from outside or sitting inside it, this car is a thing of beauty. I get compliments on it every single day.
  • Instrumentation is the perfect middle ground between a regular car layout and Tesla-like, futuristic, Spartan-ness. It uses accessible dials and buttons for commonly used functions, particularly those used by passengers. This is one thing about the I-Pace I especially like – it retains the best of ICE cars and adds in the best of EV. This is the difference between a tech company making a car and a car company making an EV.
  • Overall fit and finish is just remarkable. Depth of paint colour is wonderful.
  • The seats are beautiful, incredibly comfortable, and infinitely adjustable.
  • Different drive modes really help customize the car for that moment.
  • Pickup! 0-60 is smooth as silk.
  • Handling! It’s like it reads my mind.
  • Panoramic roof is wonderful; I thought I would hate it, but I love it. I would like one that opens though.
  • Music system is excellent (albeit undermined by the laggy interface).
  • Quiet!
  • Nice puddle lights
  • Overall, I just enjoy driving again. The car is so comfortable, elegant, responsive, and beautiful that I am actually enjoying driving like I did decades ago. I’ve had good cars, great cars, Lexus, BMWs; when it comes to sheer driving pleasure, this is the best car I have ever owned.

· Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
OK, I'm piling on-
No rear wiper and washer?!? – What the **** were you thinking! We have real weather here; It snows here - hard! There’s not enough aerodynamics in the world to keep that teeny tiny rear window clear

The location of the charging port is terrible. I much prefer it in the back or front center, accessible from either side, or on the passenger side. In my case, the location makes it difficult to back into my driveway and charge, and makes curbside (US) charging difficult. And it needs a proper light

The lag on the infotainment system is quite problematic. Combined with a menu system that is not intuitive, this makes for difficulty using all elements of the system – navigation, settings, etc.

I would much prefer a stick shifter to transmission buttons. Something more like the BMW i4, or Volvo Recharge XC40 or (my favorite) the Audi e-tron. The existing buttons look old-fashioned and cheap, not at all in keeping with the luxury feel of the car overall. And it is easy to hit the wrong button.

Locking of cable when charging is problematic. It should lock only if the car is locked. If the car is unlocked, the cable should be unlocked

There should be two buttons on the tailgate, one to close and one to close and lock. My BMW x3 had this!.

Keyless entry – okay, but Lexus has it so that the interior lights come up as you approach the car. Nice safety touch.

No Google “send to car.” Even my BMW i3 had this!* (and no, Jaguar Route Planning doesn’t make up for it because it took six months to sign into it and even now it doesn’t work consistently!!!)

Retractable cargo cover.

And a dashcam like the Tesla. Aren’t the cameras already there?!
  • Massaging seats
  • A car like the I-Pace needs to have brightly colored (Brembo?) brake calipers as an option!
  • Easy entry/exit, steering wheel
  • Dog Mode – on Tesla, a program that keeps the AC on when car is locked and displays a message and countdown timer to let onlookers know that the animal is safe in the car.

• Beautiful styling, I like that you kept the grille; it still looks like a Jaguar. It is just a beautiful, beautiful car and the longer one looks at it, the more elegant it seems. Whether looking from outside or sitting inside it, this car is a thing of beauty. I get compliments on it every single day.
  • Instrumentation is the perfect middle ground between a regular car layout and Tesla-like, futuristic, Spartan-ness. It uses accessible dials and buttons for commonly used functions, particularly those used by passengers. This is one thing about the I-Pace I especially like – it retains the best of ICE cars and adds in the best of EV. This is the difference between a tech company making a car and a car company making an EV.
  • Overall fit and finish is just remarkable. Depth of paint colour is wonderful.
  • The seats are beautiful, incredibly comfortable, and infinitely adjustable.
  • Different drive modes really help customize the car for that moment.
  • Pickup! 0-60 is smooth as silk.
  • Handling! It’s like it reads my mind.
  • Panoramic roof is wonderful; I thought I would hate it, but I love it. I would like one that opens though.
  • Music system is excellent (albeit undermined by the laggy interface).
  • Quiet!
  • Nice puddle lights
  • Overall, I just enjoy driving again. The car is so comfortable, elegant, responsive, and beautiful that I am actually enjoying driving like I did decades ago. I’ve had good cars, great cars, Lexus, BMWs; when it comes to sheer driving pleasure, this is the best car I have ever owned.
I actually like the buttons to engage the transmission. I hated the bmw shifter in my x5. I found it was very unintuitive.In any event I hope that JLR does do a revamp of the Ipace in 2024. I will need a new car in 24/25 and right now there really isn't anything that interests me.

· Registered
‘22 Portofino Blue/Sienna HSE
110 Posts
I have a 2022. Enjoy it minus the early "teething issue" with the HV Battery that was fixed.

Pros:
1. Love the ride quality and acceleration.
2. Quiet cabin
3. Pivi Pro is excellent (never used Touch Pro). With the newest software update, the navigation works flawless, predicted SOC% upon destination is accurate, and I like the clean media/phone tiles.
4. I like the front end of the car. I find it very unique and attractive compared to other EVs on the market
5. Range is sufficient for my daily needs: I get about ~270 miles on a full charge and about ~230-240 usable miles with the AC on. I charge once a week and maybe also the weekend if we do a family trip.
6. 11kW L2 charger is great. With a 50amp breaker and 40amp EVSE, I can get a reliable 16-18miles/hr.
7. My local dealership and JLR NA have been great to deal with in addressing my early teething problem.
8. I like the gear buttons -- clean/simple. I hated the Polestar gear selector.
9. In Control iPhone apps works for me -- I get accurate charging data, remote pre-condition is awesome and my wife loves it.

Cons:
1. Range and efficiency can improve for a respectable 90kW battery. It would be nice to turn off AWD to improve range when not doing spirited driving.
2. I would love sequential turn signals like the European models
3. Spotify and live traffic report on 4G connection can be better -- sometime there's lag, maybe this is a cellular problem and not JLR thing
4. I don't do many long family trips, but a faster DC charger rate would be warmly welcomed.

· Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a 2022. Enjoy it minus the early "teething issue" with the HV Battery that was fixed.

Pros:
1. Love the ride quality and acceleration.
2. Quiet cabin
3. Pivi Pro is excellent (never used Touch Pro). With the newest software update, the navigation works flawless, predicted SOC% upon destination is accurate, and I like the clean media/phone tiles.
4. I like the front end of the car. I find it very unique and attractive compared to other EVs on the market
5. Range is sufficient for my daily needs: I get about ~270 miles on a full charge and about ~230-240 usable miles with the AC on. I charge once a week and maybe also the weekend if we do a family trip.
6. 11kW L2 charger is great. With a 50amp breaker and 40amp EVSE, I can get a reliable 16-18miles/hr.
7. My local dealership and JLR NA have been great to deal with in addressing my early teething problem.
8. I like the gear buttons -- clean/simple. I hated the Polestar gear selector.
9. In Control iPhone apps works for me -- I get accurate charging data, remote pre-condition is awesome and my wife loves it.

Cons:
1. Range and efficiency can improve for a respectable 90kW battery. It would be nice to turn off AWD to improve range when not doing spirited driving.
2. I would love sequential turn signals like the European models
3. Spotify and live traffic report on 4G connection can better -- sometime there's lag, maybe a cellular problem and not JLR thing
4. I don't do many long family trips, but a faster DC charger rate would be warmly welcomed.
All great points. I would also love a screen that allows video for the times I'm waiting in the car at the Dr. Office for my wife, etc.

· Registered
35 Posts
it’s the best car I’ve ever had. Most things I wouldn’t change. But some things I’d suggest to make it perfect:
  • more range (I have no problems with current range but just to keep up with the Joneses)
  • faster DC charging (same as above)
  • smoother infotainment (I have a 2019, I’m sure it’d be better with a later model year that has Pivi Pro. And CarPlay should work with the HUD, I hear it does on BMWs)
  • not a fan of the shifting buttons, would like a shifting switch
  • let the adjustable suspension stay in the lowest height
  • the backup camera is laggy which is not ideal when I want to know if I’m about to back into something
  • massage seats, why not
  • Because of the poor rear visibility I wish I had that camera rear mirror thingy.
  • Make those sick carbon fiber blade wheels standard instead of a thousands of dollars extra
Okay, nits picked. As it is I will keep this car for years. There’s literally nothing else I’d take over this (except for a Taycan Cross Turismo and that’s literally 3x what I paid for my loaded used I Pace HSE) But if these things were changed I could keep it for like a decade (and it’ll STILL look amazing by then).

· Registered
995 Posts
The new I paces charge at 11 kW, the same speed as a model Y. It’s in line with the competition. I think the I pace seems to charge more slowly because it’s less efficient. So you get less mi/hr for the same rate of charge.

· Registered
48 Posts
Many excellent points and a very detailed review by the Discussion Starter (and others). My issues are based primarily, if not exclusively, on the fact that the I-Pace is priced on the higher end of EVs outside of the extreme luxury type models. This vehicle can easily clock over $80k and I believe certain levels of expectation should be met.

I have heard many stories of other owners obtaining what I believe are unreal calculations of driving range. Sure, driving around town in good weather, over 200 miles is reasonable. But my experience is that in highway driving the range reality places this vehicle as unacceptable. 170 miles a highway driving makes this car not a player

I was charging next a new E-Tron. As it happened, both us us started charging at 33%. I started 25 min ahead of them. I needed to get near 90% to get to my destination. By the time I was at 80%, my kw rate was at 25 while the E-Tron at 80% was at 90 kw. They finished charging to 90% before I did. Starting 25 min sooner. The charging speed at public chargers for the I-Pace makes this car not a player.

Although I have been hearing that the upgrades in the infotainment system have improved it, they would have some **** big improvements because the system on the 2020 model is garbage. It is slow, redundant and not intuitive. Oh, and it is slow.

No rear wiper. Gestured tailgate is garbage. Not be able to drop the seats from the rear?

Overall, the car is beautiful, rides and drives great and is very comfortable. But the range limitations and charging speed for a car of this price makes it nearly obsolete. If my car was sellable (it isn‘t due to unresolved key fob issues), I would be in E-Tron GT or maybe in the AWD Lyric when it is available. How about the Fisker if they ever actually build any?

· Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
1,088 Posts
..... But my experience is that in highway driving the range reality places this vehicle as unacceptable. 170 miles a highway driving makes this car not a player ....
The charging speed at public chargers for the I-Pace makes this car not a player.
...Overall, the car is beautiful, rides and drives great and is very comfortable. ...
Let's be honest here. It is not the range or the charging speed that make the I-Pace a non-player in your opinion, but rather your expectations and intended usage.
Many of us find the range and charging acceptable for our needs and usage. The issue is not whether JLR needs to match the other EV's on these criteria, but whether their target demographic will prefer more range and faster charging over the looks, the quality, the ride and the driving experience.

My personal perspective is that none of these drawbacks are sufficient to make me buy a vehicle with inferior looks, ride, and driving experience.

· Registered
35 Posts
The new I paces charge at 11 kW, the same speed as a model Y. It’s in line with the competition. I think the I pace seems to charge more slowly because it’s less efficient. So you get less mi/hr for the same rate of charge.
i have no issues with the AC charging speed. It’s the DC fast charging where I’d like to see at least 200 kW

· Registered
1,904 Posts
I've had a 2019 FE Photon since December 2018. Here are the issues:

1. The service experience.
2. ???
3. Profit.

All else is pretty great. I can nitpick, sure, but it's all such minor stuff as to not matter. In comparison, the stock Model Y has a dearth of buttons that makes day to day use a pain. Then Tesla seats are quickly uncomfortable. The stock suspension is awful.

I appreciated the I-Pace's following and lane keeping in traffic yesterday. I trust it far more than Tesla, and it's far smoother too.

· Administrator
3,275 Posts
I appreciated the I-Pace's following and lane keeping in traffic yesterday. I trust it far more than Tesla, and it's far smoother too.
Totally agree.
I use steering assist all the time, it's great. If you are in the mindset to keep your hands on the wheel to gently adjust it works very well.
Our ACC uses radar (which Tesla has sworn off presumably to reduce cost), which is much more precise than image analysis for distance measurement.

· Registered
1,904 Posts
Tesla won't let me have a say. Tesla won't drive smoothly. Tesla can lick deez nuts.

Once I get the hitch on my Model Y, I'm gonna fabricate a fake dual exhaust and get some V12 biturbo badges.

· Registered
995 Posts
After sometime with my i pace I do trust the steering assist more and more, but only on roads that I know it will work. I find that it will randomly lose the lane markings without warning. Usually I can tell when this will happen but sometimes it baffles me.

My wife a new model y LR without the full self driving and it is leaps and bounds ahead in my opinion. Much more consistent and stable. Doesn’t wander in the lane. Will “navigate on autopilot” which includes lane changes and taking the exit ramp.

I still love my Jaguar, but on drivers assistance features the model Y has it beat. Good thing the ride in a I pace is much smoother and I miss the air suspension every time time get in the car. And forget about the model y trying to keep up with the I pace on a track or street.

· Registered
995 Posts
So after that I just got a update today which made the drivers assistance features better! Lol
Haven’t gotten a chance to try it out but increasing the auto-resume to 30 sec is nice!

Font Commemorative plaque Darkness Screenshot History

1 - 20 of 52 Posts