Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
I've read some of this authors stuff in the past. He's a bit pro tesla and also seems to look for expose stuff in my brief search. He did write the recent tesla 3 bumper thing and complained about an article that had seemingly poor range for Tesla relative to an Ipace and Hyundai from Whatcar. Unfortunately not a lot of real data about anything in this piece which drives me crazy about journalism. I'm biased here. All I got from this is there have been some buybacks and there's no evidence Jag is reselling these to unsuspecting consumers.

·
Registered
997 Posts
It is what it is, buybacks without the actual lemon process. The California lemon law is a bit too generous to consumers. I could have lemoned almost every car I've ever purchased. There's always something small wrong with a car, and the times when it doesn't get repaired come down to awful dealer mechanics, who are legion. Both Toyotas I bought had repeat issues. So, meh. ****, my Ram truck had a reasonably responsive dealer.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
462 Posts
Agreed. No details to really suggest anything illegal being done. That said, would any of us be surprised if such things did happen. What do you think happens to buyback cars? Perhaps sent back to Austria and recycled.🤔

·
Registered
171 Posts
As long as there is some disclosure to future owners about issues. Reduce, reuse, recycle...

·
Registered
692 Posts
In Colorado a lemon is re-titled to indicate it was a lemon or salvaged. Dealers typically don't want to sell this type of car and finance companies will usually not touch them so the prospective buyer has to payoff the entire amount. It makes sense for JLR to try and buyback a vehicle outside of the lemon law process to simply resell the car as used. A non-disclosure agreement keeps the original owner from telling others how much JLR purchased the car for and whatever other benefits they received. It's a pretty standard part of the process so the manufacturer can keep owners from knowing what others have received as part of the process. Even scarier is that Mississippi doesn't have a lemon title so some manufacturers retitle a car there as used and then transfer the title to another state. The buyers have no idea that they're buying a lemon or salvaged vehicle.

·
Registered
2019 Jaguar i-Pace HSE
301 Posts
The NDAs are a reason to disclose everything publicly as it happens, before signing the final agreement / NDA. This includes the VIN, so others can know if the vehicle shows up again. Ex: if I were to start the buyback process, I would post the VIN before they gave me an offer.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I would think that most buybacks get fixed by Jaguar at a dealer, at a leisurely pace, since they don't have to worry about the customer not having a car anymore. I assume most of the buybacks are battery and electronics related. Both replaceable items at a discount price. Although current Jaguar electric parts that are coming from Jaguar to the US, are taking about 6 months to make the trip. That is how long it took for me to get a new electronic key. Apparently it came across the pond via boat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts