Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got one of the emails about the JLR Ice Academy where they will do a 3 or 4 day course of teaching ice and snow driving using LR and Jaguar cars in Sweden. On a whim me and 2 friends signed up and just finished the week. And I want to say wow, what an experience.

First the entire thing is a serious affair, they had some of the most experienced and nicest group of professional drivers and ex-drivers there to teach and guide. There was not a whiff of marketing or bs, the entire thing was an intense, educational and fun experience run professionally and seriously from start to finish. They did not have an I Pace in this, but they have used an I Pace previous year in the advanced course. But two of the drivers had gotten a chance to drive the I Pace on dry conditions and were very impressed with it. There was a mix of cars from RR Sport, Velar to F Pace, RWD F Type and the F Type SVR. I am biased but the SUVs did nothing for me, and were in fact like driving boats on ice. The F Pace was the best by far. But the RWD six cylinder F Type slid on ice if you simply blinked and the AWD SVR was a monster and SO controlled.

If anyone here is at all into this kind of experience I highly recommend it. This years sessions are almost done, but there were three people from our group of under 20 that had come back for a second time. They also took us on a ride with the professional driver and these guys can do things on ice with the F Type that is simply mind boggling. They said the I Pace is not used because they don’t have the software to fully disable all traction and stability control (shaking my head here, its so easy) so its not optimal for ice/snow training. But obviously the drivetrain and traction is perfect for it. Almost all the cars had studded tires.

One last thing that is of note: the Ice academy is in a town near the arctic circle where a lot of companies (including JLR) does testing for their vehicles. Everything happens on a huge frozen lake where they lay down various tracks (large ones and many) for both testing and training. They even gave us a tour of their testing facility and test tracks where they do development of traction, handling, breaking and other development tests on ice and snow. All I can say is that my perception of the brands and the cars are now much much higher after this, so definitely a great positive for the brand and cars. They gave me my first cone I destroyed as a parting gift, and gave my friend the side below door panel of the F Type that broke off when his codriver plowed that F Type at high speed sideways into a snow bank.

Anyway just wanted to share, you won’t regret the experience. I am already wanting to go back, its a shame its too late for this year. If people are interested I’ll post a few pictures later of the cars dancing on the snow.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Great review and I'm glad that you had a fantastic time. I so wanted to attend the course but we couldn't make our schedule work. Next year though....

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Haven’t sorted pics yet, but my friend who came along has uploaded this long-ish video. The first half is his drive in the F Type SVR, the second half is his test ride with one of the trainers/pros in a Project X Jaguar (That was something). He is a much better driver than I, is an ex cop with evasive driving courses under his belt before he came here. My drives were NOWHERE near this pretty!

He forgot to turn on the audio, so sadly no car sounds. But note the “sideways” aspects around the turns, it feels much more dramatic than the video shows.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here are a couple of pictures to give a sense of the place and the cars. I wasn't taking pictures while trying to keep the car sliding sideways (!!!) so there are not too many "hero" pics. The last one is on a road trip into the arctic circle just to give a sense of the place.

·
Super Moderator
1,158 Posts
I got one of the emails about the JLR Ice Academy where they will do a 3 or 4 day course of teaching ice and snow driving using LR and Jaguar cars in Sweden. On a whim me and 2 friends signed up and just finished the week. And I want to say wow, what an experience.

First the entire thing is a serious affair, they had some of the most experienced and nicest group of professional drivers and ex-drivers there to teach and guide. There was not a whiff of marketing or bs, the entire thing was an intense, educational and fun experience run professionally and seriously from start to finish. They did not have an I Pace in this, but they have used an I Pace previous year in the advanced course. But two of the drivers had gotten a chance to drive the I Pace on dry conditions and were very impressed with it. There was a mix of cars from RR Sport, Velar to F Pace, RWD F Type and the F Type SVR. I am biased but the SUVs did nothing for me, and were in fact like driving boats on ice. The F Pace was the best by far. But the RWD six cylinder F Type slid on ice if you simply blinked and the AWD SVR was a monster and SO controlled.

If anyone here is at all into this kind of experience I highly recommend it. This years sessions are almost done, but there were three people from our group of under 20 that had come back for a second time. They also took us on a ride with the professional driver and these guys can do things on ice with the F Type that is simply mind boggling. They said the I Pace is not used because they don’t have the software to fully disable all traction and stability control (shaking my head here, its so easy) so its not optimal for ice/snow training. But obviously the drivetrain and traction is perfect for it. Almost all the cars had studded tires.

One last thing that is of note: the Ice academy is in a town near the arctic circle where a lot of companies (including JLR) does testing for their vehicles. Everything happens on a huge frozen lake where they lay down various tracks (large ones and many) for both testing and training. They even gave us a tour of their testing facility and test tracks where they do development of traction, handling, breaking and other development tests on ice and snow. All I can say is that my perception of the brands and the cars are now much much higher after this, so definitely a great positive for the brand and cars. They gave me my first cone I destroyed as a parting gift, and gave my friend the side below door panel of the F Type that broke off when his codriver plowed that F Type at high speed sideways into a snow bank.

Anyway just wanted to share, you won’t regret the experience. I am already wanting to go back, its a shame its too late for this year. If people are interested I’ll post a few pictures later of the cars dancing on the snow.

Hey if you want to go again and sponsor a poor guy, I would be happy to join you ;-)

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Maybe its me it looks better in pics specially with exposure control, and it just looks like a green glow. Hey to each their own,

1 - 13 of 13 Posts