Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I posted this on another forum but my road trip was on the I-Pace. Its my first real road trip as I usually am very hesitant to rely on the charging infrastructure reliability, even though I am in one of the better parts of the country. And my experience really didn't dispel my belief (see below). But I want to say as some of you know the I-Pace is am AMAZING road car, there were 3 of us and one person brought an unexpectedly large amount of stuff for a 5 day trip. But I still managed to pack the back of the I-PACE with a LOT of stuff, 3 passengers and had a great drive.

The overall efficiency was not bad (considering the temperatures were average around 40F or lower). I generally had around 2.4-2.5 miles per KWH, which is good for large tires, cold temps and highway speeds of 65-75 MPH. And the car is driving around narrow mountain roads and gravel and it doesn't care (I raise it to go through some bad terrain, then pop it back to dynamic and low and take hairpin turns WAY too fast!).

See below for the charging infrastructure. TL;DR is that Electrify America has not changed one bit. But all the battery management updates have really made a difference the overall charging rate of the I-Pace is vastly better than early days and is pretty good with exception of the new 800V architectures.
---
So I decided to take a road trip on another EV (around 650 miles in the North East region, good coverage, many options). And I was using Electrify America. And I have to say it was pretty much exactly as most people experience with EA. Which is bad considering this is some of the densest and "best" used regions.

I had to make 4 stops total (for breaks and for optimal road trip as per ABRP), below is a quick rundown:

1) First stop Walmart, 4 new chargers. All looks good. Can't authorize an AmEx, so switch to a Mastercard, get going. This was the highlight of the trip.

2) Second stop, another Walmart, 4 stalls. Two of four stations fail to start. Third one won't take Mastercard or Amex, but my Visa works (the EA app doesn't work either). So I am standing outside flipping through cards like its a board game. Finally get started, walk 1000 feet to a restaurent and start eating, look Down and notice car is no longer charging. Go back, charger has an error. Restart charge, start walking and immediately fault again. At this point a 3rd stall that was in use opens up, and THAT ONE worked. I skipped lunch and just stood next to the station to make sure I could give it emotional support. I mean this is normal, right?

3) Third stop, Sheetz. Another spanking new 4 charger Impressive looking setup. One charger is in op with "network error." Second one has a dead display for card charger (I call it the EA standard). Third one can not start no matter what card or app I use. Fourth one is blocked by a car that has broken down (guy offers to push the car out of the way, I told him let me try a little more). Finally AFTER 20 minutes, moving the car 2 times, doing a Little dance somehow I got one of them to start charging. Yup EA is ready for the EV mainstream.

4) Fourth and final stop. Well 2 machines, 4 connectors. Machine one is out by "network error" (and it has the only Chademo not that they are much in use anymore). The second one (at this point I am nervous there are no reachable DC charger alternative in this remote location) finally starts using one of my three cards on the second try.

So I had what you would call a "successful" trip. I spend way too much time struggling to get charges starting (plug and charge? Ha dream on). And I reported all to EA where I had the typical "oh we want to know so you can have a great charging experience" and I replied with my polite "it would be helpful if you really want to do that is to make sure your chargers are working and not just pretty and count towards your "numbers.").

EA has very nice front line support, but still is absolutely not serious about any maintenance and functional reality. All these failed units can self report or be seen as "missing" in check in. It doesn't need people to report failures. Its pretty clear it is not a priority to keep them working. And as long as this is the case I can't recommend non die-hands rely on a network like this for road trips.

Same experience since the day EA came online. Nothing changes, just more locations to report.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One more note: the number and availability of charges is improving slowly, I am in a small town but there is a 50KW charger in an energy co-op funded by the state. And talking to the employees it is constantly in use in this small town by Bolts, Volvos and other cars.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok so here is the return trip report. I essentially stopped along most of the same route, and here are a couple of interesting observations:

1) Made it all the way back with no fear or potential of being stranded. Pleasantly surprised by this.

2) At least one of the stations I had reported as off-line was now working 3 days later on return. Either it was a lucky coincidence of EA may have finally started realizing having open tickets for weeks is not ok?

3) I had not ONE charging issue today and most stations were online. So what was the magic? EA seemed to have made all charging stations free for at least today (and maybe for most of thanksgiving). So without having to rely on their spectacularly terrible payment system it seems most chargers can work and provide charge.

Its ironic that maybe the worse part of the EA network is the weakness of how they make money: the credit card or authorization processing network, not the chargers themselves. So maybe there is hope?

🤦‍♂️

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
I constantly monitor the performance of most EA chargers along the coast of SC and GA (at least twice a week) and can assure everyone the performance of EA has improved noticeably over the past 12 months. Card reader failure is less and less reported most likely since the app allows you to fund your account and just tap to charge once connected. The new chargers installed a year ago are proving to be more reliable. EA is certainly aware of all the problems most report, but I honestly believe they are striving to improve. Remember this was a learning curve for them just as getting the I Pace to perform at its best took some time. The ones in my area that are struggling to keep their chargers working are EV GO and Blink ( once they malfunction it can take weeks to repair). GA Power is making huge strides with more and more ChargePoint chargers being installed and costing less than EA. These chargers also are highly reliable in my opinion.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The EA app is terribly buggy and I've had a hard time with it and little response from Customer Service. I have never had any problems with being able to find or use DC fast chargers (usually EA), but I am in a heavily traveled corridor between Boston and NYC. It thins out horribly once I get north of Boston.

Now if my Jag would just stay out of the shop...

·
Registered
425 Posts
I just started a massive road trip from Montreal to Charleston SC. Breaking into three days with a customer visit in NC on Day 3, so leg one from Montreal to New Jersey (Aloft hotel with a L2 charger for overnight), second leg to Raleigh and finally Charleston.

Leg 1: The DC fast chargers are few and far between in the Adirondacks, so there was little to no alternates. I try to use an aviation procedure where every flight has to carry enough fuel to get to an alternate if there is an issue.
Stop 1 (225km from start): First stop was at the Shroon Lake Sunoco (Evolve NY). 4 L3 stations, all with ridiculously short cables, each station at a different orientation so at least two have the CSS cables at the back side of the box and incapable of reaching the charge port on the car unless I maybe drive up on the curb and put the bumper against the box (and even than maybe not. The first of the 2 chargers that were reachable would not get past the credit card stage. The second worked (phew!). Charged to 95% (I regretted the 5%, see next stop).
Stop 2: Ulster travel Plaza (228km with a lot of climb, and yes, I drove too fast, **** Jaguar and its sporty nature!). One station. Got repeated Overcurrent error. Could not charge. Had maybe just enough to get to the ONLY alternate, a CVS EVGo ~25km away. Left Ulster in turtle mode. Hit construction delays and aborted the CVS (did not want to die on a bridge where the are alternating traffic over a shared lane) and headed to the nearest L2 I could find. In turtle mode, there is no obvious way of seeing SOC and the GOM (as we all know) is useless at this point as at 15km, it starts to count down like a rocket launch. Got to a Holiday Inn Express in Kingston and planned on dumping my original hotel in NJ and hunker down there and charge. To my surprise, they were full! The lady allowed me to charge as I likely had only a couple of km in the tank (I am a Gold member, so she took pity on me). Managed to find a room at the Residence Inn a mile away and charge at the Coutyard Marriott across the street (they were full!, and I am a Titanium member). So I am 150km short on my first day and already had a white knuckle night. Now I have 14 hours tomorrow to make up the lost time (and not have to cancel meetings) with 986km to do and at least 14 hours of driving and charging not counting traffic delays.

I'll update you tomorrow on the next leg... So far, I have to say EV in this part of the world is not ready for the masses...

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
When you get to Charleston, SC do not count on the AAA EVgo charger to work it has been down for weeks. The Blink charger in Charleston has been broken even longer. The EA chargers on I-95 in SC and NC seem to all be working perfectly and have all been used successfully in the last few days. Good Luck on your travel and I look forward to reading your future posts.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just started a massive road trip from Montreal to Charleston SC. Breaking into three days with a customer visit in NC on Day 3, so leg one from Montreal to New Jersey (Aloft hotel with a L2 charger for overnight), second leg to Raleigh and finally Charleston.

Leg 1: The DC fast chargers are few and far between in the Adirondacks, so there was little to no alternates. I try to use an aviation procedure where every flight has to carry enough fuel to get to an alternate if there is an issue.
Stop 1 (225km from start): First stop was at the Shroon Lake Sunoco (Evolve NY). 4 L3 stations, all with ridiculously short cables, each station at a different orientation so at least two have the CSS cables at the back side of the box and incapable of reaching the charge port on the car unless I maybe drive up on the curb and put the bumper against the box (and even than maybe not. The first of the 2 chargers that were reachable would not get past the credit card stage. The second worked (phew!). Charged to 95% (I regretted the 5%, see next stop).
Stop 2: Ulster travel Plaza (228km with a lot of climb, and yes, I drove too fast, **** Jaguar and its sporty nature!). One station. Got repeated Overcurrent error. Could not charge. Had maybe just enough to get to the ONLY alternate, a CVS EVGo ~25km away. Left Ulster in turtle mode. Hit construction delays and aborted the CVS (did not want to die on a bridge where the are alternating traffic over a shared lane) and headed to the nearest L2 I could find. In turtle mode, there is no obvious way of seeing SOC and the GOM (as we all know) is useless at this point as at 15km, it starts to count down like a rocket launch. Got to a Holiday Inn Express in Kingston and planned on dumping my original hotel in NJ and hunker down there and charge. To my surprise, they were full! The lady allowed me to charge as I likely had only a couple of km in the tank (I am a Gold member, so she took pity on me). Managed to find a room at the Residence Inn a mile away and charge at the Coutyard Marriott across the street (they were full!, and I am a Titanium member). So I am 150km short on my first day and already had a white knuckle night. Now I have 14 hours tomorrow to make up the lost time (and not have to cancel meetings) with 986km to do and at least 14 hours of driving and charging not counting traffic delays.

I'll update you tomorrow on the next leg... So far, I have to say EV in this part of the world is not ready for the masses...
This is exactly the conversation I have been having with our State representatives and Turnpike Commission over the past week. It is not ready for the masses, not by a long shot. I realize that some of this is Chicken and Egg stuff, but, Car companies have already stated their direction and when they will stop ICE Production. If you look at the industry numbers, the bulk of EV's are sold as a Second car, they are not the Primary or Only Vehicle. In the cases where they are Primary, they are traded in quickly. This is according to two studies done in CA, a very EV friendly state.

My State representatives have been very sympathetic, but they are betting the farm on the Infrastructure Bill as being the savior. The Turnpike Commission (PA) are idiots. "We know we need to expand, but have no plans or timelines for doing it..."

My basic question to them (the Turnpike Commission) was "how does it make sense to have ONE L2 Charger at a Rest Area when it is capable of providing 20miles of range in an hour...for ONE car" I told them that I would need to charge for 3hrs to get an hour of range...how does this make sense on the Turnpike? I also questioned them on why they didn't demand that the 3rd party provider provide a higher capacity charger. The problem was that they are woefully unaware of the EV Ecosystem. The people I spoke with had no idea about levels of chargers, speed of charge, etc.

Good Luck with the rest of your travel. I feel for you, been there done that and it was not fun

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
797 Posts

Done this run a few times. A couple of ideas.

There's a new CE charger (50hz) at the Bernard Lacolle on the east at the motel. A quick top up there can easily get you down to Queensbury NY. There is a free 50hz charger at the Adirondack welcome center on the north bound carriageway. To access heading south you need to go over the river, take the 1st exit and come back to the charger. The extra mileage is no more than 5-6 miles and better than sweating it going down to Saratoga, or Albany if you are brave.
There is a very reliable EA in Albany, at the Walmart in the big shopping center that you pass as you join the NY Thruway.
All but the last NY service center going south have 50kW chargers. I had the same issue with the Ulster unit a few months back - the others seem to be fine.
Coming back the Capitol area welcome center unit (~20mile south of Albany) is free and a good spot to get a bite to eat. Yes, it is open, the service area on the other side of the highway is not. That will get you back to Queensbury. I've found that 91% at Queensbury will get me to downtown Montreal with 10-20miles in reserve, but as you know once you cross the border, charging is no longer an issue.
If you are taking I-95 south, the MD rest areas are good, but beyond DC I've never ventured.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Am I the only one concerned where "rcomeau" is tonight? I think the "leg 2" post is overdue!
Just pulled into Raleigh (so back on schedule). Thanks for the concern! My report:
I had planned out the legs in advance in PlugShare, so I re-jigged it given the easy stop. Given the late arrival the night before. I was not fully charged when I left, but pretty good.

1st stop at Woodbury Commons outlet (EVGo). I had quickly checked that the credit card on my EVGo account was not expired. Plugged in and it started but then stopped. No error message. Tried a few times and started to wonder if last night's DC charge issue was not me. Called support and realized my card was not valid (I forgot that I had been issued a new card last year), so fixed that up and charged away. Too bad the stores were not open. Walked several laps around and hit the road at ~85%.
Side note. Was pleasantly surprised at the lack of traffic jams. Made great time.

2nd stop at Wallmart in Cooperstown (EA, 210km). Pleasantly surprised to have the charger start right up with the app.

3rd stop: Arundel Mills (EA, 187km), between Baltimore and Washington. Went to get some lunch. Charging stopped at ~50%. Realized that the auto-fill for the account did not work (that #%^ card again...). Refiled the account with the new card. Could not get the charger to start up (the app never seemed to connect to the station). Tried a coupled of stations then called support. They confirmed that the account was ok, rebooted one station and finally started the charge remotely. No big deal, but 30 min wasted. If you are not driving, you better be charging...

4th stop. Walmart just north of Richmond. I was planning an earlier stop in Spotsylvania Towne, but there was construction and the exit was blocked (I would have had to exit earlier to be on the collector lanes). Massive traffic jam meant that going to the next exit and doubling back (and then go through the traffic jam again was not worth it), so given my new conservative approach to keeping reserve, I easily pushed onto Richmond. Had to call EA again to start the session remotely since I had the same issues of not getting the app to start, and the EA terminals don't deal with Canadian credit cards, it seems as they always reject it... Charged ok after the call.

Side note: I lost ~2 hours in traffic jams caused by accidents (at least 4-5). It seems everyone drives while texting. Car is massively more efficient in stop and go traffic than at 125km/hr (78mph). Probably can do 1000km in stop and go!

5th stop: Roanoke EMC / Oasis Travel Stop. ChargePoint. Pulled out my ChargePoint card, waved at the machine and immediately started charging. No calls, no juggling squirrels facing north at sunrise, no drama whatsoever. Just charging. If only all chargers were like this...

Final stop: Marriott in Raleigh. Charging in the lot.

Total distance: 988km. My second longest driving day. I once drove from Geneva, Switzerland to Copenhagen (1400km plus a 1-2hr ferry in one day) in a rented Sprinter van, but that is another story.

Final points: I LOVE the driver assist. It provides just the right amount of help to make the drive relaxing. I love the seat. I love driving this automobile. I saw a couple of ID4s charging next to me. I have to say, not bad at all.

One more day. Raleigh to Greenville to Charleson.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Done this run a few times. A couple of ideas.

There's a new CE charger (50hz) at the Bernard Lacolle on the east at the motel. A quick top up there can easily get you down to Queensbury NY. There is a free 50hz charger at the Adirondack welcome center on the north bound carriageway. To access heading south you need to go over the river, take the 1st exit and come back to the charger. The extra mileage is no more than 5-6 miles and better than sweating it going down to Saratoga, or Albany if you are brave.
There is a very reliable EA in Albany, at the Walmart in the big shopping center that you pass as you join the NY Thruway.
All but the last NY service center going south have 50kW chargers. I had the same issue with the Ulster unit a few months back - the others seem to be fine.
Coming back the Capitol area welcome center unit (~20mile south of Albany) is free and a good spot to get a bite to eat. Yes, it is open, the service area on the other side of the highway is not. That will get you back to Queensbury. I've found that 91% at Queensbury will get me to downtown Montreal with 10-20miles in reserve, but as you know once you cross the border, charging is no longer an issue.
If you are taking I-95 south, the MD rest areas are good, but beyond DC I've never ventured.

Hope this helps.
I considered the hotel stop, but at ~70% charged, it would have been slow. In years past, I drove to NY on the Vermont side of the lake to stop at the Hannaford market but the roads were slow. The Adirondack welcome centre is a bit far (I have stopped there on the return trip in the past) . I felt I could easily get to the new chargers at Shroom lake which makes that side of the lake viable (and that worked out, but that place e is isolated!). I got cocky and drove too fast from there to the Ulster station. PlugShare showed it as perpetually "In Use" but the EV Connect (I think that network's app) showed as available. I tried to keep the stops at ~200km so I am not spending all my time charing above 60-70%. I was less ambitious today so there was no drama.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
1,419 Posts
Excellent report.

A feature of ChargePoint (besides ease of use) is that they don't charge the CC until the end of the session. If your card is expired and can't replenish the account, then you get emails/text saying you can't use ChargePoint until you fix the CC. That happened to me once and when I fixed the CC, it was charged for the balance due. The point is that it didn't stop in mid-charge. You can also set up your smartphone RFID to be recognized and use it as "the card" instead of a ChargePoint specific card (I don't have a physical card).

EVgo changed their process earlier this year. I haven't had the need to use them since. They must be closely monitoring the $ while charging and not just at the end.

One thing that would make it easier is for the I-PACE be updated (if possible) to communicate the car identification to the charging provider when the cable is attached and start charging the account (and car) without driver interaction. Mach-e can do this on EA, for example.

Happy to read you made it safely to your destination for this leg.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Excellent report.

A feature of ChargePoint (besides ease of use) is that they don't charge the CC until the end of the session. If your card is expired and can't replenish the account, then you get emails/text saying you can't use ChargePoint until you fix the CC. That happened to me once and when I fixed the CC, it was charged for the balance due. The point is that it didn't stop in mid-charge. You can also set up your smartphone RFID to be recognized and use it as "the card" instead of a ChargePoint specific card (I don't have a physical card).

EVgo changed their process earlier this year. I haven't had the need to use them since. They must be closely monitoring the $ while charging and not just at the end.

One thing that would make it easier is for the I-PACE be updated (if possible) to communicate the car identification to the charging provider when the cable is attached and start charging the account (and car) without driver interaction. Mach-e can do this on EA, for example.

Happy to read you made it safely to your destination for this leg.
+1

"One thing that would make it easier is for the I-PACE be updated (if possible) to communicate the car identification to the charging provider when the cable is attached and start charging the account (and car) without driver interaction."

Should absolutely be implemented so Charging is "Plug and Play" simple.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
797 Posts
I considered the hotel stop, but at ~70% charged, it would have been slow. In years past, I drove to NY on the Vermont side of the lake to stop at the Hannaford market but the roads were slow. The Adirondack welcome centre is a bit far (I have stopped there on the return trip in the past) . I felt I could easily get to the new chargers at Shroom lake which makes that side of the lake viable (and that worked out, but that place e is isolated!). I got cocky and drove too fast from there to the Ulster station. PlugShare showed it as perpetually "In Use" but the EV Connect (I think that network's app) showed as available. I tried to keep the stops at ~200km so I am not spending all my time charing above 60-70%. I was less ambitious today so there was no drama.
Sounds like you are having a "fun" trip. As with all trips - once you know the route, the charging stops are easier.
I've not done the VT side of the run down to NY - easier to set the cruise and SA and go direct. On my trips to Montreal, I've usually done the whole trip with only paying for an overnight L2 charge in the city, a quick top up at the border at your nice low rates, and then one stop at the Modena NY rest area. The rest were the freebies offered by NY.
One thing to consider regarding the 50kW chargers in NY - they do not ramp down as much or as early as the faster chargers. I usually see >45kW up to 75%, and the extra 5-10% above that doesn't "seem" that much longer.
What efficiency were you seeing going thru the High Peaks region? To date I have avoided a cold weather (below freezing) trip due to concerns about this section. Hope the return is a nicer trip.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Leg 3 report:
This section went without drama, but still required planning.

Stop 1: Because I rolled in late the night before, I only had ~75% charge in the morning at the Marriott in Raleigh. I had to do a small side-trip to Greenville to visit a customer, and the plan (had I been at 100%) was to go there and stop at an outlet mall in Smithfield after for the first charge. I decided to add a DC stop on the way to top up. None in Greenfield so I detoured to the "Edgecombe Martin County EMC" (state environmental offices) in Tarboro where they have a ChargePoint DC. A bit out of the way but made a fun drive through the country seeing cotton fields and country life in the Carolinas. Charge was normal (Same ChargePoint charger as in the Roanoke stop and they work pretty well), but my colleague I picked up in Raleigh and rode shotgun to Charleston (who is contemplating a car purchase and deciding between EV and ICE) noted that it was a bit surreal to drive in the middle of nowhere to refill a car. We were literally standing in the parking lot of a government office in the middle of cotton fields charging an electric car.

Stop 2 (not): The lab I was visiting at East Carolina University had 2 L2 plugs in the lot. One was not working and the other taken by a Tesla so I was glad I topped up at the Tarboro stop. This would have been a gravy charge while visiting for ~2 hours.

Stop 2 (for real): Carolina Premium Outlets in Smithfield. EA chargers. The app failed to start but my credit card worked on the first try using the chip. The tap never seems to work, but if you start with the chip, it seems ok. Charged up to ~90% and did some shopping and had a late lunch. I think this was the first stop where I was actually able to do something interesting/productive while the car was charging as opposed to sitting in it the whole time with my laptop or walking laps around a Wallmart parking lot.

Stop 3: Walmart EA stations in Florence. Plugged in and tried the app again and to my pleasant surprise, the app started it on the first try. Decided to FaceTime home while charging and basking in the green glow of the EA charging stations. It got a good laugh...
Glasses Smile Vision care Eyewear Lighting

Last stop, Courtyard Marriott in Charleston. Not the hotel I will be all week while here (Residence Inn closer to the conference site), but this one had a L2 charger so I thought I could top up and not have to think about charging for the rest of the week as I will only be driving a few km each day and Residence Inns have kitchens, so I can eat a bit better than all restaurant meals. Car will be at 100% by the time I checkout this morning.

Side note. The car, being the fine driving machine that it is, encourages you to drive fast. That coincides with the desire in a long drive to get the miles done, so I spent a lot of time in the left lane keeping with the faster cars (I mean, really, this car that looks like a supercar, looks stupid in the right lane doing 55). That, as has been noted here many times, really hurts efficiency. I had a good buffer on the last leg, but was surprised at the low batt warning as I arrived in Charleston. I was so busy chatting and enjoying the driving that I was not looking at consumption which was one of the highest. I'll download the trip logs to see if I can get a sense of average speed vs. consumption with real-world numbers to see if there is a sweet spot of driving speed vs. charging time. I remember that in the stop and go traffic in Washington, the car almost became a net generator it was so efficient. My friend who was cooling to EVs with our charge stops was warming up to it after the drive because the Jag was such a nice driving car. I did 1927 km in 2.5 days and am not that tired and no back issues. I'd still fly had I not had to bring some prototype equipment that was not ready at ship time, but it was not as bad as I feared. Now a week off and then the drive home...

·
Administrator
2,783 Posts
Thanks for the writeup! And best wishes for the drive home.

Your experience is very similar (not surprisingly) to mine on long road trips. Nice to have something to do at charging stops, and overall it's an enjoyable driving experience if you don't try to do too many miles in a day (600 is doable). At EA chargers, I've stopped using the app. I just pay by credit card as a guest. Works (almost) every time; the app is crap, it hasn't worked properly once for me (and yes my pixel is always updated to latest versions of everything).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts