Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I-Pace Owners - I like most, have had a lot of time on my hands, so I decided to compile this in-depth article on my observations as an I-Pace owner and share some of the beautiful landscape in the Chattahoochee National Forest in North Georgia where I live. I will continually up-date the article as more information is released concerning I-Pace to assist perspective and current owners. I hope you enjoy the article.

Click On the Link below for Article

Stay Safe - Mike

·
Registered
550 Posts
Wow, hands down the most comprehensive and detailed review of the I-Pace. Ever! Some interesting observations, too, on the range (and range estimate) issues, media reception, and general sales success (or lack thereof). Stuff you'd never read by a "reviewer" from a magazine. I also enjoyed the comparisons to some 'close competitors' like the Taycan and Karma. Thanks for sharing here.
Congrats on your new I-Pace (and on the deal you got - making us early adopters jealous!). I've had the I-Pace 16 months and driven almost 20k miles (albeit on 3 different cars after trading in my 2019 FE for a 2020 HSE 9 months ago to 'delete' the heated windshield which gave me awful night vision distortion - and a 30-day 2019 FE loaner in the process). I'm intrigued by your sub-4 sec 0-60 trials. Motor Trend reported 4.0 sec, Edmunds reported 4.2, and Car & Driver got 4.3, so Jaguar definitely 'sandbagged' with the 4.5 0-60 spec. I assumed the 4.5 came from the 22" wheels and the faster times from the smaller wheels. What are you rolling on to get 4.3? And does the SOC really impact 0-60 time much?

·
Premium Member
2020 I-Pace HSE Indus Silver
688 Posts
Awesome!! Honest and excellent. Thank you for posting!!

·
Registered
902 Posts
Best article I've read in the I-Pace. It was esthetically beautiful too

Reactions: Deutsch100

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Dtgsrq,

Thanks for the reply and kind words and your contribution regarding your earlier experiences with your IPace. This is the growing pains of a new EV, they let us the owners do the real R&D testing. (without compensation) I agree with your findings and especially concerning the windshield heater.

It does make a difference in EV motor performance when the lithium battery has a high state of charge since the packs voltage is higher (3.70-4.10 volts). It works on the same principals as when you change lithium packs on your power drill. A fresh pack will provide more torque and speed than one which is half charged. It's not so much the higher voltage as it is the fact there is less voltage and amperage drop under full load for the launch.

Without using names, some EV’s manufacturers for track and testing, use their standard lithium packs with the upper & lower buffers altered or removed for longer range and performance.

I’m sure most recall when Tesla owners suddenly noticed a loss in range. This happened when Elon “secretly” reduced the upper buffer “over the air” to prolong battery life to protect him from warranty claims. The hidden message here is - if a battery pack degraded during warranty, the manufacturer could just increase the buffers “over the air” to make up the lost range and prevent replacing the battery with no one the wiser.

Lithium cells still have upper and lower protection buffers at “absolute” full and low charge. Therefore, even if they were to reach this state, these buffers built into the cell to further protect it. It’s important to note, just because a pack is charged to 90-100% on occasion or even often, does not destroy the packs longevity permanently. While its difficult to explain, while using 90-100% will degrade the longevity, this lost lifespan or cycles can be added back by simply only charging to 80% at times, which increases cycles and life, so you can balance the life of a pack using your own battery management.

During missions our lithium powered military drones are charged to 100%, however we only charge to 80% for maintenance. We have machines which are 5-8 years old and still have the same packs they were built with still in specs.

There are hundreds of applications using the same chemistry as EV’s for industrial use, computers, RV’s, drones, bikes, etc. which work at or near absolute 100%. The only caution to 100% charging, is it leaves little room for over-charging and thermal run-away.

These big upper and lower buffers are in place to protect the car manufacturers from replacing batteries during the warranty period. If I could find a programmer to work on the IPace, I would modify my upper / lower buffers in a second, to increase my range for when I needed it. I would then change to 80 % for every-day charging for add back the longevity.

Stay Safe - Mike

·
Registered
902 Posts
Dtgsrq,

Thanks for the reply and kind words and your contribution regarding your earlier experiences with your IPace. This is the growing pains of a new EV, they let us the owners do the real R&D testing. (without compensation) I agree with your findings and especially concerning the windshield heater.

It does make a difference in EV motor performance when the lithium battery has a high state of charge since the packs voltage is higher (3.70-4.10 volts). It works on the same principals as when you change lithium packs on your power drill. A fresh pack will provide more torque and speed than one which is half charged.

Without using names, some EV’s manufacturers for track and testing, use their standard lithium packs with the upper & lower buffers altered or removed for longer range and performance.

I’m sure most recall when Tesla owners suddenly noticed a loss in range. This happened when Elon “secretly” reduced the upper buffer “over the air” to prolong battery life to protect him from warranty claims. The hidden message here is - if a battery pack degraded during warranty, the manufacturer could just increase the buffers “over the air” to make up the lost range and prevent replacing the battery with no one the wiser.

Lithium cells still have upper and lower protection buffers at “absolute” full and low charge. Therefore, even if they were to reach this state, these buffers built into the cell to further protect it. It’s important to note, just because a pack is charged to 90-100% on occasion or even often, does not destroy the packs longevity permanently. While its difficult to explain, while using 90-100% will degrade the longevity, this lost lifespan or cycles can be added back by simply only charging to 80% at times, which increases cycles and life, so you can balance the life of a pack using your own battery management.

During missions our lithium powered military drones are charged to 100%, however we only charge to 80% for maintenance. We have machines which are 5-8 years old and still have the same packs they were built with still in specs.

There are hundreds of applications using the same chemistry as EV’s for industrial use, computers, RV’s, drones, bikes, etc. which work at or near absolute 100%. The only caution to 100% charging, is it leaves little room for over-charging and thermal run-away.

These big upper and lower buffers are in place to protect the car manufacturers from replacing batteries during the warranty period. If I could find a programmer to work on the IPace, I would modify my upper / lower buffers in a second, to increase my range for when I needed it. I would then change to 80 % for every-day charging for add back the longevity.

Stay Safe - Mike
How often are you charging your car to 100%?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reply - my IPace has never been 100% "absolute" charged, she's stock so her full charge is "usable 100%. While there are a number of companies who offer patches for the BMW I-3, I don't know of any spending time on the IPace. Don't think that Jaguar has released much information on their cell composition nor original or alleged new H-264 buffer percentages. I know three sharp-shooter Jag techs at dealers and LRJ keep them in the dark as well.

Stay Safe Mike

·
Registered
902 Posts
Thanks for the reply - my IPace has never been 100% "absolute" charged, she's stock so her full charge is "usable 100%. While there are a number of companies who offer patches for the BMW I-3, I don't know of any spending time on the IPace. Don't think that Jaguar has released much information on their cell composition nor original or alleged new H-264 buffer percentages. I know three sharp-shooter Jag techs at dealers and LRJ keep them in the dark as well.

Stay Safe Mike
How often do you charge 100% usable?

·
Premium Member
2020 I-Pace HSE Indus Silver
688 Posts
I think one of the best parts of this article is when Mike says something like...if you are driving around at 40mph with the A/C off to improve range, then you should go back to a gas powered car. Accept that the I-Pace is about a 200 mile range EV and enjoy it!!

YES!!! Fiddling between Comfort and Eco, not using the Climate Control.....buy an economy car or if you want a Jag, get an E-Pace. Enjoy the I-Pace, Drive your I-Pace and it's not a Prius or a Bolt..so let's not treat it like that!!! If you bought an I-Pace, you really do not need to worry about hyper-mileing in the first place :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Wow, this could benefit from references for some of the statements it makes presented as facts. For instance, has anyone ever told you, personally, that they were paid to write a negative review of the I-Pace? Who do they say paid them (it strongly implies that Tesla paid people to write negative reviews).

·
Registered
902 Posts
I posted this lovely article on the I-Pace Facebook group with one of your drone shots
Would it be OK if the group uses of your shots as the banner for the group?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I posted this lovely article on the I-Pace Facebook group with one of your drone shots
Would it be OK if the group uses of your shots as the banner for the group?
Thanks for the reply - absolutely, feel free to share it as you like!

Stay Safe - Mike

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Regretfully, there is an absence of “owner written material” on the I-Pace. While some are written with knowledgeable authors, I found 90% of all Googled-linked reviews were authored by ICE owners, some who have never driven an EV. Most reviews are factory inspired and complied with just a few hours behind the wheel by self-proclaimed experts driving a factory free-be EV loaner accompanied with a provided outline on how the review will be written. For this reason, most reviews have the same verbiage are near identical in their findings.

This is why I took it upon myself to author a factual review!

Enjoy - Mike

1 - 15 of 15 Posts