Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
2,008 Posts
What I posted on the UK forum:

It would be standard procedure to not comment on the event until after an investigation. Anything said before that is speculation and that just doesn't go down well if there are eventual lawsuits, or claims of responsibility for insurance coverage.

I could speculate about this, but obviously I haven't investigated the case. All I have to go on is the news article. It could be arson. It could be something inside the car that started the fire. It could be a fire of origin not related to the traction battery (eg. hot stuck rear brakes or electrical short in the air suspension system).

Evidence to support these possibilities:

• The car was backed into the garage not driven nose first into the garage. This is inferred by the position of the car in the street. Was this in preparation for the fire event?
  • Garage door had been left open. All the neighbors' garage doors in the pictures are closed. Why would this one be left open?
  • Car was driven from garage to the street. Driven! That means the car had module communications networks operational, no compromised control modules, no compromised BEM and BECM, and both low and high voltage power available. The parking brakes and pawl released, the motors got energy, the car was taken out of park, and no mention of instrument cluster messages.

I've been through the workshop manual for the I-PACE and I'm pretty sure the car would not have moved an inch/centimeter if there was a traction battery fire in progress. The system would have detected a traction battery fault and would not have allowed the car to get out of park. A host of other issues would have arisen too.

Yes, a fire could compromise the traction battery if the fire melted the connections to it for electrical circuits and the cooling system hoses. The origin would be external to the traction battery. That kind of fire may be slow enough to allow the car to be driven down the driveway. A fire originating inside the traction battery has a problem of lack of sufficient oxygen to maintain the fire until the outer casing is compromised.

The AC unit beside the garage door could not introduce smoke into the house. Is this a statement by the owner to exaggerate the severity of the situation, or a lack of knowledge? This is Florida and the houses depicted are fairly modern and obviously would have central AC. The unit by the door would be a refrigerant condenser and compressor unit. It does not do air exchange with air in the house.

Yes, I'd wait for a proper investigation to be done before believing a sensationalized news article. Jaguar is doing the right thing by being "not at all helpful." Their lawyers are probably driving this course of action.

·
Registered
2020 S
147 Posts
I agree that the driving it out of the garage seems a little dubious. I know I would want to protect my house, but if I walked in the garage and my I-Pace was filling the garage with smoke the last thing I would do is get in it and try to drive it. I'd be making sure my wife, kids, and maybe bass guitar got out of the house while I was calling 911. And why did he pull it all the way into the street instead of just to the end of the drive?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Okay so using information from the articles I was able to find map views and other details of this person's residence. The air conditioning compressor unit itself is on the side of the house about 20ft from the garage. An air intake, if installed would be a separate element but even if so I think it unlikely that the smoke of that quantity would fill the house given their locations, smoke rise, expected air change rates, and that the house was built in 1988 before air exchangers were commonly used or installed, or retrofitted today. What I think is more likely (especially on a hot day in Florida) is that they opened the interior door to the garage, saw the smoke, and in the time that the door was open a lot of smoke went into the home from the garage (as cool inside air exited), which could very noticeable. I also see that from maps and street views dating back to 2014 that two different vehicles were parked in the driveway facing the street, not away from it as is typically done. (Their next door neighbors did the same so maybe it's a thing there.) In one older street view several of their neighbors also have their garage doors open. The next door neighbor's house is offset from this person's so that had he left a burning I-Pace at the end of his driveway it would have actually been quite close to the corner of his neighbor's house. Leaving it in the middle of the street got it as far away from everyone's houses as possible, so whether on purpose or otherwise seems to have been a good place to move it to, if it must be moved.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Okay so using information from the articles I was able to find map views and other details of this person's residence. The air conditioning compressor unit itself is on the side of the house about 20ft from the garage. An air intake, if installed would be a separate element but even if so I think it unlikely that the smoke of that quantity would fill the house given their locations, smoke rise, expected air change rates, and that the house was built in 1988 before air exchangers were commonly used or installed, or retrofitted today. What I think is more likely (especially on a hot day in Florida) is that they opened the interior door to the garage, saw the smoke, and in the time that the door was open a lot of smoke went into the home from the garage (as cool inside air exited), which could very noticeable. I also see that from maps and street views dating back to 2014 that two different vehicles were parked in the driveway facing the street, not away from it as is typically done. (Their next door neighbors did the same so maybe it's a thing there.) In one older street view several of their neighbors also have their garage doors open. The next door neighbor's house is offset from this person's so that had he left a burning I-Pace at the end of his driveway it would have actually been quite close to the corner of his neighbor's house. Leaving it in the middle of the street got it as far away from everyone's houses as possible, so whether on purpose or otherwise seems to have been a good place to move it to, if it must be moved.
Wow. That’s a lot of sleuthing!

21 - 27 of 27 Posts