Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
I hope people will not freak out for this. ICE car goes on fire 100x more often, but don't do the headlines....
GM has to stop the entire Bolt production of 12 car in the US, none in Canada, with a hundred of thousands of car inthe field and now it is a 2 billions dollars issue, that LG Chem is going to pay almost entirely....

·
Registered
441 Posts
I think this is the third I've heard of since production rollout. There was an early one in the Netherlands in late 2018. 3 out of almost 50000. Is that better/worse than others? - it would be nice if reports had more useful stats. The unnerving part is fires while charging which most people do overnight often in a garage.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
2,021 Posts
And there is no evidence that the fire started in the traction battery. The fire could have started with something else, breached into the traction battery via a burned electrical or coolant connector, and then ignited the cells inside. Jaguar did a lot of testing for ensuring traction battery damage would not cause an issue. However, once fire gets into a traction battery it will be a bad bad situation.

I was more concerned about parking next to a Bolt earlier this week than I've ever been about feeding the cat until it can eat no more, and leaving it attached to the feeding tube.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Another one:

The guy sees his car almost on fire (a lot of smoke), and then managed to pull the car out of the garage, meaning that he had to open the frunk, unscrew the plastic cap, manually release the e-break, while the car emits a lot of smoke (not yet on fire), and then manually and slowly pull the car out of the garage.
I don't know if I would kept myself close to the car like this, but when it is time to save the house,.... maybe...

·
Registered
53 Posts
The guy sees his car almost on fire (a lot of smoke), and then managed to pull the car out of the garage, meaning that he had to open the frunk, unscrew the plastic cap, manually release the e-break, while the car emits a lot of smoke (not yet on fire), and then manually and slowly pull the car out of the garage.
I don't know if I would kept myself close to the car like this, but when it is time to save the house,.... maybe...
Wow. It looks like the front end of the car is/was still intact so perhaps he started it up and drove out like normal. I think it's safe to say that whatever the source it was not from anywhere underneath the frunk.

Here's the link to the salvage page: https://www.copart.com/lot/52711922/2019-jaguar-i-pace-first-edition-fl-west-palm-beach. Seems Jaguar is not interested in investigating the cause, although I'm not sure what they would be able to find.

·
Premium Member
2,021 Posts
There's no info in that article as to how it got into the street. This suggests that somehow it was powered up and got driven into the street before he had the sense to get out and away from it. The angle suggests it had been backed into the garage. There's no tow hook attached to the front of the car.

It's theoretically possible that the fire started in the BEM (where the HV fuses and contactors are) and spread from there. However, this would probably negate the possibility that it powered up and was driven into the street.

We had another member's car generate a loud pop in the rear while charging and it was a failed BEM that also took out the BECM directly below it, iirc. They sit atop the battery at the rear and under the back seat (there's an access panel below the seat).

4 (known) out of 50,000+ is a small percentage of barbequed cats.

Aside: I (and a lot of other people) had to detour for several miles in eastern Indiana a couple of weekends ago as I-70 eastbound was closed due a car fire. I haven't searched for details about what went up in flames out in farm country. Fortunately, the built-in navigation with live traffic data gave me plenty of warning and guided me off I-70 before I would have been stuck in a long line of vehicles for many miles.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Another one:

The way I read his description, he got in the car and drove it out.

·
Premium Member
2,021 Posts
Yes it does. Per that story, the car was not charging at the time.

The AC unit next to the garage door would not draw smoke into the house. It is a heat exchanger but not an air exchanger.

Could this have been arson by others or the owner? The location of the car is a major question raiser. Wish we had more info.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
1,027 Posts
..... Wish we had more info.
Agreed. While not dismissing the possibility of a battery fire, this story illustrates the difficulty and danger of over analyzing one incident and a sensationalized writeup.

I was intrigued by the video of the fire and the occasional explosive events. One thing to bear in mind is that lithium burns with a red flame, and the explosive events seemed to involve yellow flames. I would like to be able to compare with a real genuine Li ion battery fire.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Jaguar I-Pace Catches Fire While Charging In Hungary (insideevs.com)

This is starting to worry me. How long until JLR make statement.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
My wife is freaked. I asked how many times gas cars had fires. She had no idea, because they don't make the news.

·
Registered
418 Posts
The quote from the owner, posted in Inside EVs, said he drove the car to the street.
"It occurred in mid-June of this year and the vehicle’s owner, Gonzalo Salazar, told Electrek that:
...The owner decided to drive the vehicle out of the garage, even though it was already smoking, thus saving his garage and house from also going up in flames."

·
Premium Member
2,021 Posts
Adds more mystery since a battery fire would compromise the motive force electronics from module communication networks to monitoring sensors. Anything like that should prevent engaging drive and moving it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts