Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Mazda RX-8
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the I-Pace world and am seriously considering purchasing one. The more I read or see in videos, the more I like it. While gathering I-Pace information, I stumbled on this article about racing and that Jaguar is cancelling the series. I thought it was an interesting quick read and thought I'd pass it along.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Shame they killed the E trophy series. The data collected and R&D were invaluable for the I-Pace development

Have you driven the I-Pace? Your thoughts on it?

·
Registered
Mazda RX-8
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Doc and welcome! Keep us posted about your choices and decisions, lots of good feedback here.
Thanks @sciencegeek, I appreciate the welcome and the HUGE amount of information on this forum. I've only scratched the service, but have been very impressed by the information and great members sharing their stories and information/advice.

I'm a recent convert since I have a reservation for the Mustang Mach E GT. Seeing the "Mach E vs. I-Pace" thread on that forum and then following @Ken ditching his Mach E reservation, ;), for an I-Pace, I've been slowly coming around to the benefits of the Jaguar. I have to say the deals I've been seeing lately haven't hurt getting me more into the I-Pace discussion either. (y)🤑

I'm looking forward to learning about the I-Pace here and hopefully having one in my driveway in the not too distant future! (I think the Mach E might be slipping to the #2 position on my wish list.)

·
Registered
Mazda RX-8
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Shame they killed the E trophy series. The data collected and R&D were invaluable for the I-Pace development

Have you driven the I-Pace? Your thoughts on it?
Unfortunately, I haven't driven it yet, but from all the articles, videos, @Ken commentary, and the mostly love on this forum and can't believe I won't love it myself. My local dealer is showing two 2020 models on their inventory (S and HSE). I may test drive one their, but looking at some of the deals on 2019 models, I may need to take a bit of a road trip if I go that direction.

Still looking at my options and the current COVID-19 climate is making the decision to buy a new car a little tougher. Although some of the deals are making it tough not to buy one.

If I go the 2019 route, I may be looking for some info on what I should be checking to make sure things are good with a car that's been mostly idle for quite some time. I've already seen some commentary in that regard on this forum.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Doc and I go 'way back' on the Mach E forum. We think a lot alike on a variety of subjects and I'm glad to see him here.

Doc, welcome to the dark side...nah, the right side...nah, the bright side!

My buddy PS702, who's been a great help during my learning process and my dumb questions (as have many others here), has encouraged me to do a synopsis on my thoughts on the I-Pace relative to the Model S. It's definitely something I'll do, but I want to do justice to the I-Pace first and become a bit more familiar with it. Spoiler alert: If I was choosing between the two today, the I-Pace wins! :)

BTW, I did my first 'high speed' charging today at a 50kW EVgo charger. My previous experience was only on the Tesla SC side. Today I just wanted to test out a high speed charger and the procedure involved should I need it. I started at about 150 miles remaining and charged to about 200 miles. I maxed out at about 140 mi/hr. Although the best I ever experienced at a Tesla SC was 300 mi/hr, that lasted all of about 3 minutes before the radical taper took place. Although the overall EVgo charging was somewhat slower than the SC, it actually wasn't that much slower from start to finish. Since I was driving a 2017 MS, I was one of the many who were throttled back at the SC. Thanks Elon.

·
Registered
963 Posts
@Ken its my pleasure and all your questions I've asked myself before.

What was your SOC (State of charge) when you were charging on EVgo?
Do you feel comfortable more comfortable with long trips now after this experience?

·
Registered
850 Posts
@Ken its my pleasure and all your questions I've asked myself before.

What was your SOC (State of charge) when you were charging on EVgo?
Do you feel comfortable more comfortable with long trips now after this experience?
Paul, I believe it was in the 55% range. Have you gotten similar rates on a 50kW charger?

I probably do feel a bit better about long trips. The biggest issue I have is that almost all of these chargers I’ve seen have only 1 combo connector. It's seems to be typically paired with one CHAdeMO connector. So if the one unit is occupied or broken, you’re out of luck.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I only fast changed once when I got the car. It was an EA which I only got 58kw when I was 48% SOC
I thought I would at least 80kw. It wasn't cheap either

·
Super Moderator
2,350 Posts
It's all about planning. In my experience, if you space charging stops between 120 and 160 miles apart you're fine if you charge to 80% or if you must, 90%. If you're going uphill it'll cost you about 2.3% per 1000 ft. (You get 90% of that back on your way down)

·
Registered
850 Posts
I only fast changed once when I got the car. It was an EA which I only got 58kw when I was 48% SOC
I thought I would at least 80kw. It wasn't cheap either
View attachment 3860
Wow, .69/min! I wonder if you were charged the 100kW rate, but only got 58kW. Mine was .30/min and I thought I was getting ripped off. My home rates are no bargain either at .18/kWh.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Wow, .69/min! I wonder if you were charged the 100kW rate, but only got 58kW. Mine was .30/min and I thought I was getting ripped off. My home rates are no bargain either at .18/kWh.
We get charged based on the 125kw tier with EA (Second most expensive after the 350kw), regardles of how much power our car is pulling
Its cheaper to use EVgo at 50kw

·
Registered
850 Posts
It's all about planning. In my experience, if you space charging stops between 120 and 160 miles apart you're fine if you charge to 80% or if you must, 90%. If you're going uphill it'll cost you about 2.3% per 1000 ft. (You get 90% of that back on your way down)
The only problem with that is a) a broken charger and/or b) an occupied charger. The single chargers, which are almost all I’ve ever seen, creates some real potential challenges.

Consider Tesla SC banks where you typically have 8 or more. We were in Boca several months ago (I didn’t have the Tesla with me), and I saw an area where they must have had 20 chargers! That’s Tesla’s one undeniable advantage. I never encountered a situation where all chargers were occupied. I know that can happen, but it never once happened to me.

So that’s the only thing that scares me about long trips. In all honesty, we’d probably take her Lexus ES300h and not worry.

·
Super Moderator
2,350 Posts
Yeah and it takes much longer of course to travel long distances with an EV. For example, SF Bay Area to Moab you could do in a very long ICE day, but with the I-Pace it will take two. But it's doable! All chargers on the way have enough stations that you're guaranteed not to be stranded.

Apparently several states do not allow charging by kWh because there are electricity resale laws on the books that prevent that by technicality. So Electrify America decided to do per minute charging in all states. [Their rates are close to price gouging because of the way they've implemented it, admittedly.] Recently they've made noises where they will change their pricing model to by-kWh in the states that allow it (including for their already existing chargers).

·
Registered
850 Posts
We get charged based on the 125kw tier with EA (Second most expensive after the 350kw), regardles of how much power our car is pulling
Its cheaper to use EVgo at 50kw
That’s a real ripoff. Talk about not getting the service you're paying for. Can’t you dial in the tier of service on some of them?

·
Registered
850 Posts
Yeah and it takes much longer of course to travel long distances with an EV. For example, SF Bay Area to Moab you could do in a very long ICE day, but with the I-Pace it will take two. But it's doable! All chargers on the way have enough stations that you're guaranteed not to be stranded.

Apparently several states do not allow charging by kWh because there are electricity resale laws on the books that prevent that by technicality. So Electrify America decided to do per minute charging in all states. [Their rates are close to price gouging because of the way they've implemented it, admittedly.] Recently they've made noises where they will change their pricing model to by-kWh in the states that allow it (including for their already existing chargers).
I wonder how prolific those multiple chargers per location are? On Long Island they always seem to be in pairs, one CHAdeMO and the other dual. So for our cars you get just one viable connection per location. Maybe LI is unique in that respect?

·
Super Moderator
2,350 Posts
I know Long Island is a long island ;) but do you need a fast charger for your day trips?

EA focuses on Interstates ... but LI does have the Green Acres location and it looks like there's at least one more further east that has two CCS.

·
Registered
963 Posts
That’s a real ripoff. Talk about not getting the service you're paying for. Can’t you dial in the tier of service on some of them?
You can not chose your tier which is unfortunate because the cheapest is 75kw

·
Registered
850 Posts
I know Long Island is a long island ;) but do you need a fast charger for your day trips?

EA focuses on Interstates ... but LI does have the Green Acres location and it looks like there's at least one more further east that has two CCS.
Oh absolutely no need at all for at least 95% of my trips. I just hooked up a new ChargePoint flex to replace my JuiceBox, so level 2 has never been an issue in my garage. Today was merely a test to make sure I had no issues with the car accepting a fast charge and to check out the procedure. Only having dealt with a SC, I felt it was better to learn now than when traveling to NJ or thereabouts.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts