Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jaguar’s best-selling I-Pace electric car has a problem: it has run out of batteries.

Jaguar is halting production of the £61,000 SUV at a factory in Graz, Austria, for a week from Monday next week because of a shortage of lithium-ion batteries.

The I-Pace’s batteries are supplied by South Korean electronics giant LG Chem, which makes them at a factory in Wroclaw, Poland.

Jaguar’s woes reflect car-makers’ struggles to meet surging demand for electric cars and slash emissions while relying on fragile supply chains. Jaguar sold about 18,000 I-Paces last year and it won the top prize at last year’s World Car of the Year awards. Ministers last week unveiled a ban on the sale of new petrol and diesel cars from 2035.
Unfortunately the rest of this article is behind a paywall.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/jaguar-halts-electric-suv-over-battery-shortages-7jhbhnmsh

·
Registered
980 Posts
I think there is a lot of truth to the idea of supply constraints for EVs. That was one of the smart Tesla moves to take control (to a degree) of their own supply chain on this. But its a bit of click bait, the title should say “Jaguar pauses electric SUV production for one week over battery shortage.” That’s what the article really says.

But hey much more “dramatic” this way.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
A lot of battery companies and automakers are ramping up.

GM/LG Chem are building a $2.3B battery factory in Ohio that can build over 300,000 batteries a year for 100 kWh cars (>30 gigawatt-hours).

The question is will GM get into the battery selling business, or will they actually produce that kind of volume?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Don't believe any of those BS article's they on purpose come up with their BS titles they are strictly "Click Bait" to get your email to read the article which 99% of the time is nothing but BS.

Its highly unlikely Jag is going to run out of lithium cells. If there any truth to the matter it might be they are upgrading to higher output cells to increase range. Look at I3 in the same space they incresed their mileage from 60 miles to 170 miles.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts