Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

Jaguar going all electric by 2025

3K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  Ken 
#1 ·
#4 ·
This is what so many of us have been saying Jaguar should do to survive....become premium EV only. Fingers crossed it works. They NEED to do a lot of work on improving Service Centers, Employee knowledge of EVs, they need an entire new software department and JLR needs to figure out how to turn the da*n fans off so an EV sounds like an EV!! The fans running on my 19 and 20 I-Pace has been the worst ownership experience!!

#6 ·
The need to focus all of their capital and efforts towards this shift to an all EV company.
As much as I think the I-Pace is one of the best EVs in the market, its not perfect and has a long way to go, as @Deutsch100 has described
TaTa and the UK need to pour a lot of money into this to make it viable

#7 ·
I'm hoping they try to move to an 800V or 900V battery system and get to the point they can charge as quickly as the Taycan. Also changing the heat pump / cooling system so it can cool the battery and the interior at the same time if needed and replacing the fan or shroud to cut down the noise. I'm guessing they need to use a stiffer fan with different blade shape, and make the gap between the fan and the shroud smaller. Both of those would help cut the noise.

Software wise, I do think they're working on the problems. It sounds like the Pivi software has gotten much more frequent updates than InControl, where they roll out bug fixes a lot faster.

#11 ·
Agreed. [That said, I am continually amazed by the raft of negative comments from those who have test driven, purchased and owned for a few months]

But, back to the article, more negative comparison to the UK gov mandates for EV production. Some people still seem to feel the UK is the center of the universe and that what London mandates is the global rule. A luxury brand will continue to see impt sales in areas not being as aggressive as Europe regarding EV adoption, such as the US. JLR's message to these markets is the point of their announcement.

#9 ·
This seems like wonderful news for Ipace owners that are enjoying their cars. To become an all-EV company in four years Jaguar certainly must take good care of the owners of their current one and only EV. I would imagine that there will be more emphasis on service, training and parts. The company could really benefit from a happy group of evangelist owners.

#10 ·
Yes and no. They also plan to shift from being a BMW / Audi / Mercedes competitor and instead competing with Bentley and Rolls-Royce, with even lower volume and higher profit margins. I would expect many dealerships to end up closing because there aren't enough people with appropriate incomes to justify their existence. For the dealerships that remain, service should get better.

For existing i-Pace owners, especially US owners, I don't expect any improvement, as they already have the sale, the platform is going nowhere (they plan to use a modular platform), and the software is deprecated and only getting fixes for serious issues at this point.

#15 ·
Drink the koolaid! Hate the Jaguar!

I prefer cars that make me want to drive faster. Other people prefer fast cars that make them want to drive slower. Somebody in the fast lane going slowly? It's either a Prius or... somebody driving, ahem, on autopilot.

#17 ·
The general tone on the Jaguar Advisory Board is pretty pissed and disappointed. There are a few i-Pace owners that have commented that seem happy about the move, but most everyone else is really unhappy, and of course complaining that a car that can only go 250 miles is useless and they'd need to do a 6 day drive to do 1200 miles.

I think they made a mistake asking everyone's opinion after the fact, since there is nothing they can do now that it is public that wouldn't make the situation worse. Also, if they are planning on moving up-market, I suspect JLR doesn't care that a lot of people will never buy from them again, since they weren't planning on selling as many cars anyway.

#18 ·
I just don't see how you move radically upmarket from the current base, unless "upmarket" is code for ditching the jaguar brand barring maybe some sports options (EV Type anyone?), and concentrating almost wholly on the upper end of Range Rover (ditching Evoque, Velar etc. as well as the Defender, Discovery and Disco sport).

It leaves a bit of a hanging question too for those contemplating buying one of the cars likely to be cut (e.g. F Pace, E Pace, Velar, Defender), it would be a gutsy move now to buy one of these when the future state of the dealership network is just up in the air.

Unless a lot of this is marketing guff re: concentrating on quality etc. with no real intention to do anything as dramatic as kill of most of the combined JLR range. For the sake of sales over the next 12 months they really need some clarity quickly.

We may have lucked into the one product guaranteed a future in some form but the future needs to be made clearer. I am certainly not up for paying north of £100k for a replacement iPace in circa 3 years time but I would totally pay that for an Aston branded product. I do wonder given that Aston has had its own issues if they are thinking of recombining in some way? That would be one way to try and drive higher end lower volume growth.

The oddity here is that the real competition e.g. Porsche, Audi, Tesla, etc. (not the fantasy of Rolls Royce which I would never want anyway or Bentley which I would struggle to afford much as I want one) know that electric platform investment is extremely costly. You just can't do it on the cheap and you need volumes to make it pay (even if those volumes come from platform sharing with lesser brands a la Bentley and VW/Audi/Porsche etc.). I just don't see how JLR does this without combining with another volume player.

#19 ·
If I remember what it said correctly, only Jaguar would end up being a Bentley / Rolls Royce competitor, Land Rover would stay positioned where it is. I can definitely see them doing that, given that Jaguar has become a smaller percentage of their income YoY, and with most of the major markets caring more about SUVs / CUVs.

I think they really didn't time this well, and they definitely didn't give enough info on what Jaguar would look like, other than being pure-EV by 2025 and being based on a single modular architecture. Saying they are going to go pure EV, while their only EV isn't appealing to the majority of the market, really is a problem. With Tesla, Ford, Kia, and Hyundai having cars with longer range, and range being the # 1 thing on most buyer's minds, they should have found a way to introduce a car with more range, then made the announcement.

#20 ·
I'm wondering what the demographic they're aiming for? Are there really that many potential buyers in the really high end looking for a bev? I see BEVs appealing to a younger demographic that are somewhat tech savvy, early adopters. Unfortunately price has been a barrier to entry and the majority of younger buyers just don't have the means.

#22 ·
In 9 years new car sales in the UK have to be EV only so there will not be the option of ICE it's a given they will be electric. This is only one market but it's being replicated in many others. Getting ahead of this curve is the right thing to do and there is probably the view that the value of non EV's being sold now is called into question by the forthcoming ban on ICE sales (this could work both ways of course).

#23 ·
The really wealthy don't drive themselves and rarely do long distance drives given faster forms of transport (e.g. helicopters) as time.is literally money.

Make it pleasant enough in the back and workable for the typical chauffered trip and they will be happy. Off road needs may be very different though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.