·
Registered
Mazda RX-8
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Super Moderator
2,352 Posts

This link will put you to a relevant post. I hope this happens!

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
522 Posts
New CEO to go directly after Tesla and Polestar?

Saw these stories, seems an interesting direction to take. My read was that they would still be Jaguars, but with an EV drivetrain i.e. focused on the luxury market. Not sure that is the upcoming EV market. I've said before that Tesla made the correct transition to the mass market with the model 3.

·
Super Moderator
2,352 Posts
Just like ICE there will be a significant market for luxury EVs that can be profitable. JLR should seize this opportunity, Jaguar is in an excellent position technologically and design-wise. (Though perhaps not financially, or dealer-network-wise).

·
Registered
963 Posts
The battery is the most costly part of EVs. Its at least $15k more cost than ICE so the target should be the luxury market, not the Lower end sub $60k

Reactions: Deutsch100

·
Registered
Mazda RX-8
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

This link will put you to a relevant post. I hope this happens!
I remember you saying that. You are a visionary!

·
Registered
Mazda RX-8
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The battery is the most costly part of EVs. Its at least $15k more cost than ICE
Battery prices steadily falling. If you plan a total EV lineup as @sciencegeek suggests, pricing could be much closer to ICE options when you get it to market in 2 to 5 years and you still have maintenance and fuel costs to show as better than ICE. I agree that you still target the upper half of the price market which is where Jaguar has been historically. Coming Audi EV starting price in the mid $40k range is a nice place to start for Jaguar and will be head to head with Model 3.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Maybe @Ken can chime in, but Jaguar may already match Tesla's dealer network. Financially, probably not unless Tata gives them a boost.
It's very geographically dependent in terms of sheer #s. Here in NY/Long Island, there are more JLR dealers than Tesla. However in terms of competence, that's a good question. I do get the distinct feeling that Tesla Service Centers are more in tune with their cars than JLR is with BEVs. That's why so many of us seem to have issues when the car is brought it for service.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Battery prices steadily falling. If you plan a total EV lineup as @sciencegeek suggests, pricing could be much closer to ICE options when you get it to market in 2 to 5 years and you still have maintenance and fuel costs to show as better than ICE. I agree that you still target the upper half of the price market which is where Jaguar has been historically. Coming Audi EV starting price in the mid $40k range is a nice place to start for Jaguar and will be head to head with Model 3.
Only way to bring prices down to make sense would be to scale it to at least 1 million cars on a platform . Jaguar doesn't have the volume, not even close
Audi can with the MEB platform. The ID 3, ID-4 is the same platform as the Q4 E-Tron.
Fisker and Ford are smart by licensing this from VW to take advantage of that scale.

I predict Jaguar will partner with a larger OEM to accomplish this, then they can target the Model 3.
I agree that Jaguar should do this

·
Registered
963 Posts
I thought JLR was partnering with BMW on EV powertrains. Did that fall though?
That's for the power train, but that's just one component.
BMW is going a different direction than everyone else. Whatever ICE vehicle in their line up can be a BEV.
Other OEMs are doing the modular route.

Tesla has 2 platforms, making another Y architecture for Germany and probably another one for Cybertruck

Reactions: Deutsch100

·
Registered
Mazda RX-8
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's very geographically dependent in terms of sheer #s. Here in NY/Long Island, there are more JLR dealers than Tesla. However in terms of competence, that's a good question. I do get the distinct feeling that Tesla Service Centers are more in tune with their cars than JLR is with BEVs. That's why so many of us seem to have issues when the car is brought it for service.
Although if Jaguar were to really go all in on an EV exclusive lineup, the dealers would have to get much better with EV's. Wouldn't they? :unsure: 🤞

1 - 14 of 14 Posts