Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Based on recent data from Electrek's survey, it appears that Jaguar is doing a fire-sale of its remaining 2019 stock. They're taking $20k off the sticker price, and people are driving HSE trims off the lot for $55k after all the discounts and rebates are applied.

I expected to lose value on my I-PACE faster than what's typical for a luxury car, but this is ridiculous.

·
Premium Member
2020 I-Pace HSE Indus Silver
708 Posts
It is shocking. I thought my $14,000 discount I got in Dec. 2019 was a lot, in addition to the $2000 credit for a Level 2 EV charger.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I expected to lose value on my I-PACE faster than what's typical for a luxury car, but this is ridiculous.
Yeah it stings being an early adopter. I remembering being a little upset when they started offering 0% financing only a few months after the release but these discounts are really cutting into resale value in the states. I think overseas is a different story as people are still waiting for deliveries and I don't think they have any 2019's just sitting at dealer lots.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I saw 4 I-Paces on Saturday around the west side of LA on a few hours.
One more in Orange County today.

More than I've ever seen around

Reactions: Deutsch100

·
Premium Member
2020 I-Pace HSE Indus Silver
708 Posts
I saw one at Target last week. Of course besides mine, I have seen two total in 6 months of ownership. Yet, I will see multiple Lambos, Rolls-Royce, Bentleys, Aston Martins every single day (sometimes on my own street). I-Pace is rare!!!!

·
Registered
850 Posts
I’ve yet to see one either. Certainly mine can’t be the only one on Long Island. I know we‘re in rarified air, but that rarified? 😳

·
Registered
59 Posts
When I joined a few weeks ago and was waiting for delivery of mI-Pace (a new contraction I think?), I stated that I have NEVER seen one in Chicago. The day before the delivery, when biking, I spotted one parked on the side of the road with an actual owner inside. I was disappointed to learn he lives in my neighborhood (which is not one of the posher zip codes) so I'm not the first..... The upside is that he ordered and received his end of 2018 and loves it still. He's had no issues altho he said he doesn't drive much (like me- it's an urban thing). He didn't know of the forum so what I took away is that perhaps there are more out there happily living without major issues. I regreted not asking which dealer he gets service from as we have about 7 around the city.
I read that about 3000 units were sold in the US by end of 2019 and about 30,000 units world wide at that point. Clearly we are seeing from this forum that the remaining 2019's being scooped up. Autotrader lists 155 new 2019's available and 143 on cars.com nationally (I realize not every dealer uses these listing sites) but that number is significantly down from when I started looking. All positive I think even as we know that the discounting has made obtaining one possible to a wider, wanting audience.

·
Registered
2020 I-PACE SE w/ 22" F-PACE Wheels
121 Posts
Impressively enough, I have a local dealer offering $20,000k off MSRP for a new 2020 SE ($84k). This is before tax incentives. Wasn't in the market for an I-Pace, but going to jump on it tomorrow. Tough to pass by when you pair it with a 0% 5 year financing. Makes me wonder if the 2021's are on the horizon, or if the J-PACE is and will be offering an MSRP the cannabilizes I-PACE sales.

·
Registered
2020 I-PACE SE w/ 22" F-PACE Wheels
121 Posts
They help, but it still doesn't lease very favorably. Particularly if you can score 0% interest when purchasing.
Residual values are very low. 42% last I checked for 3yrs and 30,000 miles on a 2020 SE.

While it could be a good time to buy, I've been tracking I-PACE inventories. Not surprisingly, 2019's have decreased by about ~15% in the past 2 weeks, but 2020s have actually shot up about 4% and seem to be still climbing. With JLR also talking about announcing model cuts next week, it might make sense to wait it out. I doubt the I-PACE will be impacted, but it's in the realm of possibility. You could see massive deals then as a result.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
So tempting, but we drive so little now. Gotta keep using the gas cars some to keep the gas from going bad.

Reactions: sciencegeek

·
Registered
36 Posts
It seems like a great time to buy. Do you know what these large discounts do to lease payments?
My lease on a 2019 1st edition is $599 per month with $7000 down (that was the value of my trade in)... can't beat that for a $90,000 car over 39 months.

·
Registered
59 Posts
In the past 19 days, 2019 inventory on Autotrader dropped to 131 (24 sold nationally) so people are apparently buying (or leasing). While I realize that this isn't an accurate gauge of sales, it does show some movement.
It appears that +- $20k off is about the threshold below which dealers will not drop (at least what they are showing as listed pricing) and wonder if the remaining vehicles at some point move to auction.

·
Registered
850 Posts
But on the negative side, a very low residual value widens the gap of what has to be financed. Obviously the 20K discount offsets that, but I'm not sure if purchase is the cheaper way.

·
Registered
36 Posts
But on the negative side, a very low residual value widens the gap of what has to be financed. Obviously the 20K discount offsets that, but I'm not sure if purchase is the cheaper way.
All true, which is why the actual monthly cost of the lease and the final value are important. The final value on mine is $31K - my expectation is that (with low mileage) I will be way above that but also that in three years time electric vehicles will have moved on appreciably, and having the option to either keep or trade in the car is important. I wouldn't want to buy any current electric car at this time - I want options for the future. $600 per month is a crazy low figure for this car.

·
Registered
850 Posts
It boils down to what you're more comfortable with. I used to write off part of a car's lease payment when I was working. Now that I'm retired I prefer buying outright, especially with these huge discounts.

·
Registered
36 Posts
It boils down to what you're more comfortable with. I used to write off part of a car's lease payment when I was working. Now that I'm retired I prefer buying outright, especially with these huge discounts.
Yep, if you can expense the lease through your Tax then that is attractive. Even without that the cost of the financing side of the lease can be very attractive given that money is basically free for the financing companies currently. As you say, your mileage will vary :)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts