Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A week ago today (Sunday), I noticed that the steering wheel and seat heat weren’t working. Not great during a midwestern winter, but something I could live with for a week while I waited for a loaner to be available for a service appointment. Then on Wednesday, I got a warning about the brake pedal pressure being lowered (something to that effect) but the car was still safe to drive. Then the OK button stopped working on the steering wheel.

Finally, my wife took the car out shopping. When she got back in, there was a warning about the descent control not working AND FM radio and satellite radio were playing at the same time. Then the car wouldn’t go into gear. Then more weird status messages. She shut the car off, and it wouldn’t power one.

The tow truck showed up and dragged the car onto the bed and it’s at the dealership now. Any thoughts what the issue might be?

This is a 2019 HSE with about 11,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Multiple possibilities but high on the list of suspects would be a 12V battery failure/not being charged.
Agree. It would be nice to have a warning If it is 12v battery issue. Does wattcat provide that kind of info?

·
Registered
740 Posts
Agree. It would be nice to have a warning If it is 12v battery issue. Does wattcat provide that kind of info?
WattCat will send a notification if the 12V gets below 12.2V. I don't know at what point it will warn if the TCU battery charge level drops. I haven't received that alert. The car should illuminate the battery symbol if there's a problem charging the 12V. It's unclear if the symbol illuminates if the battery is bad or if there's a problem charging it. It's possible with a bad battery that it's getting enough charge but is not capable of storing the energy. iGuide is vague.

·
Registered
99 Posts
My steering wheel heater and seat heaters stopped working for about a week. Mysteriously started working again, and have been fine since.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I take it the 12v battery is something close to a known issue?
Yep. Across all electric car manufacturers it seems. Tesla has had a lot of issues with it. We're in between old and new tech as I understand it. A lot of the systems require a 12v source to work - radio, navigation, starting the car....If the 12V battery dies you can't drive even though you have a huge 90kwh battery available. Ipace has two 12v batteries and a third lithium battery for the tcu. The group will correct me if I'm wrong here.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Yep. Across all electric car manufacturers it seems. Tesla has had a lot of issues with it. We're in between old and new tech as I understand it. A lot of the systems require a 12v source to work - radio, navigation, starting the car....If the 12V battery dies you can't drive even though you have a huge 90kwh battery available. Ipace has two 12v batteries and a third lithium battery for the tcu. The group will correct me if I'm wrong here.
Is this perhaps not a regulatory driven thing? So to certify ancillary equipment as suitable for car use it must be 12v only because there is perhaps no distinction between the certification of equipment for ICE and EV cars? I can see why a high voltage battery solution would be a very very bad thing in an ICE car that is fully fuelled and involved in an accident.

·
Registered
121 Posts
So many off the shelf components (e.g., window and seat regulators) are designed for 12V. Not to mention, the traction battery is kinda dangerous and you wouldn't want everything in the car connected to that without some really careful (i.e., expensive) wiring design. Finally, if something goes wrong with the traction battery, the car should be able to completely shut it down for safety without resulting in a loss of things like hazard lights.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Unfortunately I missed the call from our service rep, but the message said that they may have the car for a "long time" as it needs a "major part" which is apparently in short supply.

Any thoughts on what that might be given what I described above?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Unfortunately I missed the call from our service rep, but the message said that they may have the car for a "long time" as it needs a "major part" which is apparently in short supply.

Any thoughts on what that might be given what I described above?
I just listened to the voicemail from my wife's phone. The tech thinks it may be a wiring harness, and replacement parts are in short supply. I imagine that's due to a combo of Covid + new model + Brexit. At least I've got a Range Rover eVoque to drive.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I just listened to the voicemail from my wife's phone. The tech thinks it may be a wiring harness, and replacement parts are in short supply. I imagine that's due to a combo of Covid + new model + Brexit. At least I've got a Range Rover eVoque to drive.
This is a known issue in the early models including some 2020. The cables were apparently a bit short and stretch on hard acceleration and can fail. Corrected in later models. I wish it would become a recall item as my Vin # is affected. Thankfully I haven't had an issue but I feel like its one of those things just waiting to happen.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I had the wiring harness replaced in mine as it was trying to throw itself into park while I was driving. They were able to replace it in just a few days though they really had to disassemble the car to fish it all out.
2995DD27-5DC5-4E8A-9F40-490C0BDC0F57.jpeg

·
Registered
304 Posts
Yeah, I was one of the early ones to have that happen a little over a year ago. They were just finishing the root cause analysis and putting a new harness into production, so it was a few weeks before my harness arrived. Thankfully another iPace owner in Montreal (same dealer as me) had it happen a few weeks earlier than me so the mechanics had some practice before getting to mine ;) . Problem has not returned since.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Final update: I just picked the car up today. It wasn't the wiring harness after all. Instead it was the power supply distribution box that went bad, along with both 12V batteries.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts