Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

It’s official, I Pace 2019 World car of the year

5K views 29 replies 11 participants last post by  Mister Dave 
#1 ·
#6 ·
#8 ·
"Electronics based" problems

So, JLR's CEO admits in his interview for CNBC after iPace wins Car of the Year in the USA, that the major part of Land Rover's consistently appalling reliability and dependability stats in the USA ,where the brand comes out at the bottom or near the bottom of all surveys, are "electronics based".

In his words having admitted that incontrovertible fact, he says "we (now) have a programme in place to fundamentally transform that part of the business."

Good news then in one sense, but anyone with half a business brain has to ask how on earth JLR has got themselves into that position in the first place, when competitive like brands like MB or BMW are way ahead of the game, not to mention Tesla's software. And then one can't help but lament that JLR has managed to import all or most of these "electronics based" issues into a vehicle which would otherwise be a whole-hearted star of the luxury vehicle business with no proviso's at all, the iPace!

Surely there has to be some heavy questioning about the competence of those in this part of the business and at least some heads should roll.

#11 ·
And this creates EXACTLY the problem we have now. They are all used to being overpaid, moving from job to job to make more, and there is a lack of dedicated engineers for tasks. And new ones coming up no longer want to learn the hard way, they just want to be "poached" over and over and make more and more money without having the commiserate skills or talent.

Trust me, I have dealt with this issue in a much smaller scale for at least the past 5 years.

#13 ·
And this creates EXACTLY the problem we have now. They are all used to being overpaid, moving from job to job to make more, and there is a lack of dedicated engineers for tasks. And new ones coming up no longer want to learn the hard way, they just want to be "poached" over and over and make more and more money without having the commiserate skills or talent.

Trust me, I have dealt with this issue in a much smaller scale for at least the past 5 years.

Trust me. I work in a business where top talent is just as much in short supply, and not on a smaller scale either, so I do know what I am talking about. And, with all due respect you also missed out the most crucial word in my entire post. That word is BEST. No point in poaching non dedicated folk without the skills or talent obviously, but you head hunt the very best to lead your team(s) and you fill those teams with SE's and EE's who have proven talent, but maybe at a lower level of experience. And you create a corporate culture where only the best will do and where there is a genuine desire to compete with the very best other manufacturers.

For some years JLR seems to have allowed a culture to exist where they are putting out into the market place infotainment systems and software which simply aren't up to par and now the CEO is admitting as much. That's the kind of corporate culture which can irreperably damage a brand. As the saying goes, it takes years to build brand credibility and loyalty and only a week to destroy it.

#18 ·
Um Yeah. I can do sarcasm as good as the next man or woman if that’s what you want.

But maybe better to read people’s posts and THINK before you try to be clever. What I was referring to was the software and the infotainment that bedevils JLR vehicles and which you don’t have to go further than this or the UK forum to see how poor it is on the iPace. And then to go back to my original post, when the CEO of the company admits that the Landrover stats making it bottom or near the bottom of the reliability charts is down to software, then there is most certainly a point to be made.

That the iPace is good enough to win all the awards it has in spite of the poor infotainment software is a testament to how really good the car is, but imagine an iPace with the best software in the luxury vehicle market. It would blow the competition out of the market.

As it is I love my iPace to drive and it is way better than any luxury car I have owned - and I have been an MB owner for the last 25 plus years - but frankly the infotainment just isn’t good enough. But then, if you own an iPace or a JLR vehicle of any sort, you don’t need me to tell you this.

So my message: Humor makes the world go round and I love it but sarcasm that isn’t even addressing what has been said is just plain lazy.

#19 ·
That the iPace is good enough to win all the awards it has in spite of the poor infotainment software is a testament to how really good the car is, but imagine an iPace with the best software in the luxury vehicle market. It would blow the competition out of the market.
I think every I-Pace owner who has had trouble is imagining software upgrades. I imagine that they'll get them too.

Others aren't having trouble. One gentleman started a thread about his lack of issues. Wish I could find it now.......

I'm imagining the perfect car made by the perfect company who pays perfect wages in a perfect working environment. Sorry if you don't like sarcasm but if we're handing out advice I'll suggest avoiding the internet, being a little less demanding of everyone and everything else, and whatever you're sitting on might be a little uncomfortable. It's even more lazy to point fingers from a pedestal.

Blowing the competition out of the market is unlikely. Tastes in cars are more subjective than many will admit. If price were no object I'd be in the next Porsche on the next boat. It's the sexiest thing yet, in my eyes and I'd take it warts and all. Some people think any and every [pick one - I'm not using the T word this time] is the bomb.

The point, sarcasm or otherwise is that the glass is half full or half empty. This was started as a glass half full thread. No car can be a full glass. They're made by ....*gasp*.... people.

However, since you have made it clear you're especially sensitive to sarcasm, I'll try to keep that in mind in the future if it makes you more comfortable. I'm sure you're as nice of a guy as anyone else, so I really will keep your sensitivity in mind.

#24 ·
There were some comments on one of the articles that struck me:

• Jawohl Seats & a steering wheel10 hours ago lol and despite all that, the Jag is still outselling the S and X combined

Me: really? I am surprised to hear that. I guess that must mean worldwide then (if true)?
  • ME18 hours ago Sitting inside this model wasn't that pleasing. Some materials felt below Jaguar standards will cheap plastic materials and an odd outward visibility feel to it. I rather see a return to their classier and more practical design language
The real me, not commenter 'ME': really? I don't have that experience. However, I have not been in any other Jag, admittedly.

'Odd outward visibility feel'? If that means it looks different from other models, sure (but a family resemblance to the E- and F-Pace models). I understand it may not be for everyone's taste, but I like the lines (in person-- pics do not show so well, imo).

#26 ·
There is a lot of hate for EVs from certain Tesla Musketeers focused at the I-Pace and others. These are not the rational Tesla EV owners, they are the zealots. Notice that some supposed EV-Specific sites did not even report on the NYC Awards. An EV winning World Car of the Year in New York, seems like EV-related news to me.

I read from a Tesla Model 3 owner: 'I drove an I-Pace and my Model 3 has more ground clearance and handles speed bumps far better. And my back seats are huge compared to an I-Pace.'
Every sedan we own scrapes on our driveway (horse trails cause it). Only the inexpensive airdam scrapes on the I-Pace and only if it is still set to Access Height. I've had cars with $$$ carbon fiber air splitters scrape on them so bad I had to do a 3 point turn to clear them. And we have literally, no exaggeration, dozens of speed bumps in our area due to the horses. I can take them at the legal speed limit of 35 without a problem at Normal height. My son has long legs and is 6'2" and he fits fine in the back seat for long drives (>100 miles).

But that nonsense is not about Jaguar. Or any other company building EVs. It's about marketing Tesla. Much like the misleading price (small print, 'after savings'), they also misrepresent other brands too. Only 1 out of 10 Musketeers will mention the HUD, CarPlay, knobs/buttons, 360° View, noise level, or quality of the seats.

Nothing has changed since late 2015 when another company released a 200 mile EV. Teslas do more than they really do, and other EVs are lesser cars than they really are.

It is unnecessary. Especially when a company publicly advertises they are Pro-EV, All Brands. They are not. If they can prove otherwise, I'm happy to apologize for being wrong. But all the evidence I have come across indicates Tesla and the zealots are focused on a monopoly in the EV segment by harming other brands when they can.

Reactions: epirali
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.