Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts
Others aren't having trouble. One gentleman started a thread about his lack of issues. Wish I could find it now.......

Interestingly, or maybe not, that gentleman who started that post was me!!:grin2:

I haven't had any serious issues like black screens, car acting like Christine and reversing at speed into a wall, or any of the other big stuff that has led some to return their vehicles or have them in the shop for weeks on end, but most days I experience stuff with the software which just makes me wish it was as good as my last MB. Don't get me wrong, I way prefer by a country mile my iPace to drive, but even without major bugs, the laggy software, occasional minor stuff with heating and ventilation having a life of its own and so forth is just annoying on a $100k plus car. Originally I wrote it off as simply being the price of being an early adopter but it seems that even the CEO acknowledges that it is actually a problem with the department that creates this stuff in ALL their vehicles.

JLR may be small but Tata which owns JLR is a massive company and could do better for its subsidiary.

There were some comments on one of the articles that struck me:

• Jawohl Seats & a steering wheel10 hours ago lol and despite all that, the Jag is still outselling the S and X combined

Me: really? I am surprised to hear that. I guess that must mean worldwide then (if true)?
  • ME18 hours ago Sitting inside this model wasn't that pleasing. Some materials felt below Jaguar standards will cheap plastic materials and an odd outward visibility feel to it. I rather see a return to their classier and more practical design language
The real me, not commenter 'ME': really? I don't have that experience. However, I have not been in any other Jag, admittedly.

'Odd outward visibility feel'? If that means it looks different from other models, sure (but a family resemblance to the E- and F-Pace models). I understand it may not be for everyone's taste, but I like the lines (in person-- pics do not show so well, imo).

Discussion starter · #25 ·
And, with all due respect you also missed out the most crucial word in my entire post. That word is BEST. No point in poaching non dedicated folk without the skills or talent obviously, but you head hunt the very best to lead your team(s) and you fill those teams with SE's and EE's who have proven talent, but maybe at a lower level of experience.
I got your point, but I'll repeat mine: what makes you think that if YOU poach the best that other companies won't do EXACTLY the same to you? You can try to one up them with higher salaries, more perks, etc. But this is exactly the problem. And this leads to lower level people starting to want the same thing without the talent.

None of which is really on topic anyway. I think I Pace's starting problem with the infotainment was choosing Windows based system for "ease of software" development, and there the whole thing was doomed. When I get home I will make my profile for the 4th time and see how long before they disappear on a reboot.

There were some comments on one of the articles that struck me:

• Jawohl Seats & a steering wheel10 hours ago lol and despite all that, the Jag is still outselling the S and X combined

Me: really? I am surprised to hear that. I guess that must mean worldwide then (if true)?
  • ME18 hours ago Sitting inside this model wasn't that pleasing. Some materials felt below Jaguar standards will cheap plastic materials and an odd outward visibility feel to it. I rather see a return to their classier and more practical design language
The real me, not commenter 'ME': really? I don't have that experience. However, I have not been in any other Jag, admittedly.

'Odd outward visibility feel'? If that means it looks different from other models, sure (but a family resemblance to the E- and F-Pace models). I understand it may not be for everyone's taste, but I like the lines (in person-- pics do not show so well, imo).
There is a lot of hate for EVs from certain Tesla Musketeers focused at the I-Pace and others. These are not the rational Tesla EV owners, they are the zealots. Notice that some supposed EV-Specific sites did not even report on the NYC Awards. An EV winning World Car of the Year in New York, seems like EV-related news to me.

I read from a Tesla Model 3 owner: 'I drove an I-Pace and my Model 3 has more ground clearance and handles speed bumps far better. And my back seats are huge compared to an I-Pace.'
Every sedan we own scrapes on our driveway (horse trails cause it). Only the inexpensive airdam scrapes on the I-Pace and only if it is still set to Access Height. I've had cars with $$$ carbon fiber air splitters scrape on them so bad I had to do a 3 point turn to clear them. And we have literally, no exaggeration, dozens of speed bumps in our area due to the horses. I can take them at the legal speed limit of 35 without a problem at Normal height. My son has long legs and is 6'2" and he fits fine in the back seat for long drives (>100 miles).

But that nonsense is not about Jaguar. Or any other company building EVs. It's about marketing Tesla. Much like the misleading price (small print, 'after savings'), they also misrepresent other brands too. Only 1 out of 10 Musketeers will mention the HUD, CarPlay, knobs/buttons, 360° View, noise level, or quality of the seats.

Nothing has changed since late 2015 when another company released a 200 mile EV. Teslas do more than they really do, and other EVs are lesser cars than they really are.

It is unnecessary. Especially when a company publicly advertises they are Pro-EV, All Brands. They are not. If they can prove otherwise, I'm happy to apologize for being wrong. But all the evidence I have come across indicates Tesla and the zealots are focused on a monopoly in the EV segment by harming other brands when they can.

Reactions: epirali
Interestingly, or maybe not, that gentleman who started that post was me!!:grin2:

I haven't had any serious issues like black screens, car acting like Christine and reversing at speed into a wall, or any of the other big stuff that has led some to return their vehicles or have them in the shop for weeks on end, but most days I experience stuff with the software which just makes me wish it was as good as my last MB.
If you would be so kind, perhaps you can supply a link to the thread. It's just as important to see the other side of the misery loves company crowd.

I took your advice and did look at the UK site. Honestly I didn't read every post but rather went through the thread starters. It looked very much like this site where infotainment is concerned, but I was stricken by the number of "my car has a squeak" sort of things. It seemed that the UK crowd is very sensitive in this area. We have some of those here too but not in the same percentage yet. Maybe it'll ramp up later. The UK certainly has the more active and numerically larger group.

Not to pick at you but your same post that you made here on the OP subject didn't get much traction there. The one that may have responded to you as I did initially was Goshdarnit.

Goshdarnit said:
I think sometimes people forget how small a company Jag is. Honestly, they’re just not going to have the same resources as companies the size of Mercedes or bmw. I actually think they now have a real chance to grow into that, but at the moment they are a very small fish.
Goshdarnit seems to be more vocal than his peers otherwise, on a forum that IMO is much more tame than this one in general.

Don't get me wrong, I way prefer by a country mile my iPace to drive, but even without major bugs, the laggy software, occasional minor stuff with heating and ventilation having a life of its own and so forth is just annoying on a $100k plus car. Originally I wrote it off as simply being the price of being an early adopter......
I'm an early adopter of sorts on a different EV - and not a $100K car. I'm not sure why price should matter but I'll defer to those who think it should. I just don't see price as a determining factor in potential issues. With that said....

My car was not a year one car. I waited 4 years with the silly idea that the bugs would have been worked out. Some of them were, but others were introduced. I was at the dealer getting the thumb drive software updates so many people complain about no less than 4 times. On one occasion I got an update for an issue I hadn't experienced yet, but I knew about it even before the dealer did because of a forum like this one. That's probably the number one value of these type of public forums.

It was inconvenient yes, but rather than being focused on that I was happy to be getting improvements made to my car, and in one case before it became a problem. What's important there is that when I left the dealer I had a feeling of better things.

......but it seems that even the CEO acknowledges that it is actually a problem with the department that creates this stuff in ALL their vehicles.

JLR may be small but Tata which owns JLR is a massive company and could do better for its subsidiary.
I'm gong to go glass half full here again for a couple of reasons.

- You have an honest CEO there who doesn't hide behind excuses. Some choose to excoriate CEOs for this type of candor, but I stand in contrast to that sentiment. I like candor. It builds trust in my mind far more than spinning the issue.

- He may very well be tweaking Tata's CEO for some resources to get it fixed. If I'm the Tata CEO I'm weighing that possibility right now.

There is a lot of hate for EVs from certain Tesla Musketeers focused at the I-Pace and others. These are not the rational Tesla EV owners, they are the zealots. Notice that some supposed EV-Specific sites did not even report on the NYC Awards. An EV winning World Car of the Year in New York, seems like EV-related news to me.
Even Jalopnik, which had a pretty positive review of the I-Pace and has followed it through development (and has been blogging constantly about the NYIAS), hasn't even mentioned the rewards once on their site.

Even Jalopnik, which had a pretty positive review of the I-Pace and has followed it through development (and has been blogging constantly about the NYIAS), hasn't even mentioned the rewards once on their site.
Some are of the opinion that awards are purchased rather than won. JD Power I think gets this sentiment more than most. I'm a bit suspicious of JD myself.

I'm a little suspicious of that too, for a different reason. I don't think there are many, if any, automotive (and especially EV) journalists who are unbiased, or even care to pretend to be. Several are just plain hacks. Fred Lambert comes to mind immediately. He's not always wrong mind you and has taken a few shots at his favorite brand, but he's kind of the Bill O'Reilly of car reporting (sorry Factor fans but Bill was the biggest pinhead on his own show).

Yup but he doesn't hold back when he's berating JLR over their shortcomings :x
I missed your post on the last pass. I like that about him, and took note of his choice not criticize in this case. I'm going to keep an eye out for him the next time I lurk there. I joined yesterday, but intend to be happy lurking for now. The Brits may not be ready for my 'Merican ways of expressing my feelings. I would hesitate to call them stodgy, but it's pretty tame relative to what I'm accustomed to.

I'm the owner of a coupe of bowtie vehicles. I'm most vociferous on GM sites about GM shortcomings. I'm not a mercenary over there - I'm a customer.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.