Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've used kWh in WattCat for nearly a year to determine my range but for 6 months I've compared it to the simpler method of dividing the number of miles travelled by the SoC∆ x100. The simple method correlates to WattCat with an accuracy of 97.5% and is something I can do while driving.

The caveat is the SoC change is not linear above 85% (for example, I recently drove 9 miles and the SoC only dropped from 100% to 99%). But from 20%-85% SoC it's a very accurate way to determine range. I have not allowed the SoC to drop below 20% so I can't comment on the accuracy below this.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Wouldn’t you think it would be a relatively easy change to the algorithm to flatten out the non-linear areas at the top & bottom? We’d then have a reliable range indicator from top to bottom.

I know, I’m so naive. It’s not much different with the gas gauge on a typical ICE car. :)

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wouldn’t you think it would be a relatively easy change to the algorithm to flatten out the non-linear areas at the top & bottom? We’d then have a reliable range indicator from top to bottom.

I know, I’m so naive. It’s not much different with the gas gauge on a typical ICE car. :)
JLR has tried a few times to make the GoM more accurate and even 20A release notes has a line item about improvement but I haven't seen any difference yet.

·
Registered
811 Posts
JLR has tried a few times to make the GoM more accurate and even 20A release notes has a line item about improvement but I haven't seen any difference yet.
Curt, in all honesty, the GoM isn’t bad for me in its overall prediction, despite the non-linearity. After a full charge, with the mode set to Eco, it’s saying I have a range of 254. Thus far my first 3 charges from about 20% (usually around 50 miles left) to 100% have, in the end, yielded extrapolated ranges of 249, 250 & 254 on the latest one. That’s really pretty good.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's really good for sure. My GoM is pretty good, only off 6%-8%, until I use a lot of climate control. Then it's optimistic by 15%-18%. It doesn't effect me because most of my driving is within 30 miles of the house but I think about someone who takes off on a long journey and needs to make it to a charging station.

Last summer the more experienced members recommended that on a long trip to charge at 200 miles if starting at 100% and at 180 miles if starting at 80%. I think it's still good advice no matter what the GoM shows.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts