Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
My car definitely has brake hold and I've had this same problem. What worked for me last time was leaving the car in drive and letting it stop on its own by creeping in and letting it bind to a stop. Since then

That's exactly what I did the last time and it worked for me as well but I want to try the ebrake suggestion above as I expect that is likely safer than leaving it in drive. This was a handy thread to see today!
I had no idea it would generate this much interest.

·
Registered
Mazda RX-8
309 Posts
I think it might still lock in Drive since it might simulate what happens when I stop at a light. I’m always set to high regen.
Braking at a stop light seems to never prevent me from rolling forward. Of course unless I'm rolling forward, my foot is not on the brake. I lightly tap the brake to prevent rolling backward and then release. If I start rolling forward, I hold the brake until I'm ready to start forward again.

I guess I need a car wash, since I can't fathom your predicament right now!

·
Super Moderator
2,249 Posts
I guess I need a car wash, since I can't fathom your predicament right now!
My Kitty is kinda gross right now from ash and smoke and pollen and crap. She's always parked outdoors and she's white. I usually wash her myself but this thread is making me think I should use a car wash to see what this thread is all about! 🤣 🍺

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Pete, it’s happened the last two times and it’s really disconcerting. The jarring as the car fights the moving belt is not fun. Scrambling to immediately find out what‘s wrong makes you sweat bullets, especially when you’ve gone to the same wash multiple times without an issue,

I do think the easiest approach to this is to simply pull out the EPB switch as soon as I put it into neutral.

·
Premium Member
2019 EV400 First Edition
20 Posts
As posted before
Before entering the car wash, push the brake pedal, switch to neutral and pull out on the EPB switch. This should release the EPB.

I did this in my driveway and it rolled freely.
Forgive my ignorance here, but where is the EPB switch you are referencing located? I'm still learning my way around the vehicle. Thanks.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
It's to the left of the steering wheel on the dash. It's actually not a button, but rather a kind of lever you pull or push.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
So today I was at a light where I was on a bit of a reverse incline. The brake hold went into effect as I was able to take my foot off the brake. Since nobody was behind me, I tried releasing the EPB switch, but it had no effect at all as the car did not roll backwards.

This makes me wonder if releasing the EPB at the car wash would really have any effect. I’m inclined to try the creep mode the next time at the car wash.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
816 Posts
You were not in N at the light, were you? I would not expect it to release.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
You were not in N at the light, were you? I would not expect it to release.
You’re right, I wasn’t. I’ll try that tomorrow...with nobody behind me. ;)

Ayepace, do you think creep mode would accomplish the same thing at the car wash?

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
816 Posts
Creep mode would be active only if the car is in D or R. I don't recommend R for obvious reasons.

I don't recommend D either. Going through a car wash with it in D might outpace the car wash mechanism, or may cause problems if the car wash mechanism stopped (by employee stopping it or malfunction). The cat would creep forward and possibly hit a car (or something else) in front of it.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Creep mode would be active only if the car is in D or R. I don't recommend R for obvious reasons.

I don't recommend D either. Going through a car wash with it in D might outpace the car wash mechanism, or may cause problems if the car wash mechanism stopped (by employee stopping it or malfunction). The cat would creep forward and possibly hit a car (or something else) in front of it.
Actually I should have been clearer in how I phrased that. I only meant creep mode in terms of approaching the car wash belt and then putting it in neutral when the attendant signals neutral. I thought that might make it less likely the EPB would engage in neutral.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm not even sure if I'm calling it the right name, but it's when the brakes lock as you come to a stop. My problem is that lately when I go into a carwash and I put the car in neutral to be pulled along through the carwash, the brakes lock and the car doesn't move but just jerks as the chains moves beneath the car.

This has happened the last two times, but never happened prior. So I'm wondering if there isn't some setting to disengage this behavior, even if temporarily.
This happened to me. When you put the Car in neutral, the brakes automatically lock. You have to go to the panel on the left hand side and hit the brake lock and this will unlock the breaks. I have done thine many times at the car wash. Let’s just say my first experience was not a good one until I figured out how to unlock them.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
This happened to me. When you put the Car in neutral, the brakes automatically lock. You have to go to the panel on the left hand side and hit the brake lock and this will unlock the breaks. I have done thine many times at the car wash. Let’s just say my first experience was not a good one until I figured out how to unlock them.
cjpardo, you're talking about this brake unlock, correct?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have not found the brake lock to come on automatically when I put the car into N. I go through the car wash at least once or twice a week. As I indicated before, I make sure to shift into N without touching the brake. I am not in creep mode, so I am merely moving forward VERY slowly with the accelerator pedal, then SORT of coast as I put it into N. Works every time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
There is a lot more to brake hold. I just went out to my driveway which has different levels of incline (it's a quarter mile driveway). The behavior changes depending on driver status - for example, is your seat belt on? Did you open the car door to reach out to the car wash controls?

I advise that you practice different combinations until you get the hang of it.

With my seat belt off, my cat would do brake hold, even on level ground if I pressed the brake more than just a touch. But, with my seat belt on, the behavior was more like traditional incline brake hold where the hold only applied on an uphill incline.

On a downhill, I braked, took off my seat belt and opened the car door while still in Drive. It immediately went into brake hold.

Under most circumstances, I could unlock brake hold while in drive by just touching the accelerator a little bit. I was even able to get it to disengage and roll backward while in DRIVE by touching the accelerator enough to release brake hold and then letting go (yes, I have creep mode on). None of this will work if the car ends up going into Park mode while still in Drive. If that happens, you switch to Park and back to Drive or you release the parking brake. I'm still not sure which combination causes the car to go into Park mode while still in Drive.

There are a lot of variables. I guess I could test them all and write down the results...

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
I've never owned a car that had so many permutations of a simple brake. Crazy. I've never felt apprehension going to a car wash with any car until recently with the kitty.

I guess it's true, cats don't like water!

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
447 Posts
There is a lot more to brake hold. ......
There are a lot of variables. I guess I could test them all and write down the results...
Useful comments. My guess is that the software and controls of the I-Pace are actually more complex than JLR was willing to relay to the "average stupid" customer.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Went to the carwash this morning and the saga continues. I tried pulling up very gently in drive and then without touching the brake, put it in neutral. The brake hold still applied. Only by quickly putting it in Park and then back to neutral, was I able to free wheel the car. Even releasing the EPB had no effect. So what ever is engaging doesn't seem to be the EPB. Why it works putting it into Park and then quickly to Neutral, I have no idea.

This is an extremely confusing kitty that keeps you constantly on your toes trying to figure out what it wants. Meow!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Went to the carwash this morning and the saga continues. I tried pulling up very gently in drive and then without touching the brake, put it in neutral. The brake hold still applied. Only by quickly putting it in Park and then back to neutral, was I able to free wheel the car. Even releasing the EPB had no effect. So what ever is engaging doesn't seem to be the EPB. Why it works putting it into Park and then quickly to Neutral, I have no idea.

This is an extremely confusing kitty that keeps you constantly on your toes trying to figure out what it wants. Meow!
To each his own I guess, but I have owned a car in 10 years that I would run through one of those car washes. Can't stand the swirl marks on the paint. Bought a foam cannon and just do it at home.

41 - 60 of 68 Posts