Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
2019 EV400 First Edition
20 Posts
My service advisor stated this is not supported on the I-Pace. I countered with the same argument you make but after seeing this as a menu option on the Discovery have to believe it is simply not really offered on our cars. The fact that adaptive cruise control with land keeping does just that (and notifies you of such) after a ten second stop seems to indicate it could be implemented if they would update the system software. I believe we are both saying the same things here and just have to go with the flow.

The brake hold like operation in the car wash is ashamed and maybe the dealer could advise you further?

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Jeff, just a word to the wise as many of us have discovered during the course of ownership. If we all had a dollar for every piece of misinformation we've gotten from dealers, we'd all be rich without ever having to have worked a day in our lives. ;)

I'd be tempted to take your advisor on a ride and activate the brake hold feature and ask him what that is? If it didn't have the hold system, there would never ever be an instance of the brakes holding. It makes no sense that there is no brake hold system and yet it works that way most of the time. :)

As I said, my only complaint is that it's not 100% of the time.

·
Premium Member
2019 EV400 First Edition
20 Posts
Yes, we have to be out own advocates. However I can be rather persistent. The dealers are also learning about this new Jaguar technology as well. So far I love the way this car works and cannot wait to replace my 22" with 20" wheels and finally have all-season high mileage tires. Thanks for your comments.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
816 Posts
As posted before
Before entering the car wash, push the brake pedal, switch to neutral and pull out on the EPB switch. This should release the EPB.

I did this in my driveway and it rolled freely.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Ayepace, thanks, I'll give that a try. That might be easier than changing the mode to 'creep' for the carwash, although I'd think that would work too.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
447 Posts
My understanding is that if the car is in "F" - as in forward gear selection - the brake hold ONLY takes effect on an upslope. It is very sensitive to the incline of the car anx will engage on very minor inclines. My experience is that on a downslope you need to keep your foot on the brake pedal. Conversely in reverse the car will hold on a downslope.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yes, so your last paragraph is exactly what I've said & experienced. It's not 100%, but it's certainly 90% in my case.

In terms of a menu item for this feature, no, I've never seen it. It seems to be an integral part of the braking system. So I don't think JLR's documentation is incorrect, the feature is there, it's just not menu controlled. I agree though that because it's not 100% reliable, you do have to be alert. It's quite obvious when it's active and in those cases it seems safe to take your foot off the brake. I've never had a single instance where it activated and then deactivated causing the car to roll forward or backward. So it's better than nothing, but as with so many of these automated features, the driver needs to be alert. It's one of the reasons I never really trusted 'autopilot' on my Model S.
My experience is that the brake hold works 100% if incline in backward (sometime you do not even need to press the brake firs) but not so in forward.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
You guys (QTown, Sciencegeek & wuxyjj) may be right. Perhaps it is only a reverse incline, where the car would roll backward, the EPB would engage. I'm wondering if as the car gets on the carwash belt with the front tires first, it senses that reverse incline and puts the brake hold on. Of course it makes me wonder why it hadn't done that from the first time I used this same carwash.

It would seem that as Ayepace and others have suggested, pulling out the EPB may be all I'd need to do to release the brake at the carwash.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
447 Posts
The car rolls very nicely in neutral ("N"). Backing out of my garage, the loose gravel driveway has a very slight dropoff away from the house. Last Spring I backed out and wanted to get something from the garage that I had forgotten. I put kitty in N to avoid turning it off, opened the door and begun to step out. Immediately we started to glide backwards. Vowed never to do that again with a pricy new toy.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
So you guys never get the EPB to engage???? There's no way if I was rolling backward the EPB wouldn't engage. Weird.

·
Super Moderator
2,249 Posts
Mine does engage: automatically on the slightest incline; and only after pressing the brake and coming to a full stop on steeper inclines.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
447 Posts
So you guys never get the EPB to engage???? There's no way if I was rolling backward the EPB wouldn't engage. Weird.
I was highly surprised it did not kick in. Perhaps the gravel on the driveway was enough to bring the car to a halt as I backed up, but then why it started to roll in N is a mystery. Suffice to say I was not calm and cool as I scrambled to get back to the brake pedal.
In reverse the EPB should kick in if the car is rolling forward, my guess is if I had engaged F first and then N it might have kicked in. Always N and parking brake since.

·
Registered
106 Posts
My understanding of the function and what my car does is this. If I am stopped on a level or forward sloping incline, I have to keep my foot on the brake or the car will roll forward. If there is a slight or greater rear sloping incline, as soon as I apply the brakes and stop the vehicle, I can hear the EPB activate and I can remove my foot from the brake pedal and the car will sit there until i press the accelerator.

In my 740i there is a brake hold function activated by a button. Anytime the car stops, the EPB is applied and it releases when the vehicle starts to move. I wish my kitty had that as I really like that function.

·
Registered
Mazda RX-8
309 Posts
For me, as long as it is in "drive" it will roll forward or back at a stop light unless I tap the brakes. After tapping the brakes, it will roll forward, but not backward. This is with high regen set. Why not leave it in "drive" and let it roll forward through the car wash?

·
Registered
24 Posts
My car definitely has brake hold and I've had this same problem. What worked for me last time was leaving the car in drive and letting it stop on its own by creeping in and letting it bind to a stop. Since then
For me, as long as it is in "drive" it will roll forward or back at a stop light unless I tap the brakes. After tapping the brakes, it will roll forward, but not backward. This is with high regen set. Why not leave it in "drive" and let it roll forward through the car wash?
That's exactly what I did the last time and it worked for me as well but I want to try the ebrake suggestion above as I expect that is likely safer than leaving it in drive. This was a handy thread to see today!

·
Registered
35 Posts
My service advisor stated this is not supported on the I-Pace. I countered with the same argument you make but after seeing this as a menu option on the Discovery have to believe it is simply not really offered on our cars. The fact that adaptive cruise control with land keeping does just that (and notifies you of such) after a ten second stop seems to indicate it could be implemented if they would update the system software. I believe we are both saying the same things here and just have to go with the flow.

The brake hold like operation in the car wash is ashamed and maybe the dealer could advise you further?

Had this happen a couple of times, but now I know what to do (after having to have the car wash manager actually have to get into my car to get me out of trouble). First, the car most definitely has a brake-hold feature, so you must be careful not to engage it as you enter the car wash, then eventually slow down. As you are slowly moving forward, WITHOUT TOUCHING THE BRAKE PEDAL, merely shift into neutral from drive. The brake hold will not then engage, and you will be successfully in neutral. The key is just not braking as you slow down.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I think it might still lock in Drive since it might simulate what happens when I stop at a light. I’m always set to high regen.

21 - 40 of 68 Posts