Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not even sure if I'm calling it the right name, but it's when the brakes lock as you come to a stop. My problem is that lately when I go into a carwash and I put the car in neutral to be pulled along through the carwash, the brakes lock and the car doesn't move but just jerks as the chains moves beneath the car.

This has happened the last two times, but never happened prior. So I'm wondering if there isn't some setting to disengage this behavior, even if temporarily.

·
Super Moderator
2,263 Posts
I have not tried this but it would seem to me that the brake should release if you pull the manual button ...

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have not tried this but it would seem to me that the brake should release if you pull the manual button ...
That makes sense too if it's the same mechanism that's applying the brakes in my case. I just wonder if releasing via the button is only applicable if you engaged via the button?

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
826 Posts
No it isn't. Is your seat belt fastened or do you unfasten it?

Before entering, push the brake pedal, switch to neutral and pull out on the EPB switch. This should release the EPB.

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
It needs to be fastened. If you unfastened it, the car would think you're about to exit the vehicle and apply the brake.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It needs to be fastened. If you unfastened it, the car would think you're about to exit the vehicle and apply the brake.
Yes, but it was fastened the entire time and still wanted to apply the brakes in neutral. Again, seatbelts were never unfastened. :(

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
That's what I expected. Thanks for the confirmation.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think engaging creep mode, as denotte suggested, may be worth exploring.

·
Premium Member
2019 I-Pace HSE - Borasco Grey
205 Posts
I know on some cars you have to disable their automatic emergency braking systems in car washes. I haven't tried this type of car wash in the I-Pace and haven't encountered that, but you might want to see if disabling AEB via the steering wheel options will help.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I've had this happen twice as well. The first time, I assumed I somehow jumped the tracks or there was something wrong with the car wash. They had to shut it down and I had to drive through, out and around. The second time I realized it was the car somehow, put it in drive and slowly inched forward and went into neutral. That seemed to get out of the pickle that time, but in the panic, I did not take notes on what I did. I have gone through a few times without incident so understanding what is going on wolf lake these trips less stressful!

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've had this happen twice as well. The first time, I assumed I somehow jumped the tracks or there was something wrong with the car wash. They had to shut it down and I had to drive through, out and around. The second time I realized it was the car somehow, put it in drive and slowly inched forward and went into neutral. That seemed to get out of the pickle that time, but in the panic, I did not take notes on what I did. I have gone through a few times without incident so understanding what is going on wolf lake these trips less stressful!
Are you in creep mode or normal mode?

·
Premium Member
2019 EV400 First Edition
20 Posts
I'm not even sure if I'm calling it the right name, but it's when the brakes lock as you come to a stop. My problem is that lately when I go into a carwash and I put the car in neutral to be pulled along through the carwash, the brakes lock and the car doesn't move but just jerks as the chains moves beneath the car.

This has happened the last two times, but never happened prior. So I'm wondering if there isn't some setting to disengage this behavior, even if temporarily.
The I-Pace does NOT have brake hold although it is mentioned in all of their documentation. The dealer has confirmed this (I have seen in in the Land Rover Discovery convenience options when using that loaner car). It is NOT in the convenience options of the I-Pace although when using Adaptive Cruise Control with lane keeping active and the car stops for more than ten seconds, a message appears indicating the brakes are locked required a tap on the accelerator to continue. That part bothers me since I would like to have brake hold as I found it very handy on my previous car. By the way, there is no option to have brake hold on this vehicle at this time.

Regarding your comment about the car wash, I think what you are seeing is the locking brakes when you power down the vehicle. I would try leaving the vehicle powered up and in NEUTRAL. While I have not used a car wash yet, I think this would work? It is difficult for me to believe this car could not be run through such an automated washing system.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Jeff, the car was not powered off when entering the carwash. I always sit in it and simply put the car in neutral. But there is an obvious brake locking that's occurring as the car jumps each time the belt moves underneath it. This only started over the last 2 carwashes and hasn't done that before.

Regarding the brake hold, my car unquestionably has this feature. It's very obvious when the car comes to a light and stops. If there is the slightest incline, forward or backward, the car moves ever so slightly and then the brake hold feature activates. I should add that to initiate this hold feature you must first press firmly on the brake and then release. I've tested this multiple times since I've owned the car and does it virtually every time...not every single time, but I'd say at least 90% of the time.

I believe it's this feature that's causing the issue at the carwash. However I think putting the car into 'creep' mode may well disengage this feature, I'd think it would have to or the brakes would prevent the creep movement.

·
Premium Member
2019 EV400 First Edition
20 Posts
First, help me better understand your brake hold comment. Are you saying that accessing the instrument panel menu (on steering wheel left side) you see a brake hold option under conveniences? If so, does it give you a choice to activate it? If so, I would imagine you must disable it when in the car wash. I do not have such an option and was told it does not exist for this car. I have a 2019 first edition which came with all options so I am indeed curious. Maybe something added on 2020 model but I do have the latest system software.

And yes, my car does perform what looks like brake hold after pressing firmly on brake and releasing after say five seconds. However it does not always work that way and I cannot depend on it. The Land Rover Discovery loaner car absolutely had a brake hold convenience option in its menu setting and even had a choice for steep hills. When engaged the HOLD message displayed on the console. This it not the case for the I-Pace. Would your agree?

Thanks for your reply so fast.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
First, help me better understand your brake hold comment. Are you saying that accessing the instrument panel menu (on steering wheel left side) you see a brake hold option under conveniences? If so, does it give you a choice to activate it? If so, I would imagine you must disable it when in the car wash. I do not have such an option and was told it does not exist for this car. I have a 2019 first edition which came with all options so I am indeed curious. Maybe something added on 2020 model but I do have the latest system software.

And yes, my car does perform what looks like brake hold after pressing firmly on brake and releasing after say five seconds. However it does not always work that way and I cannot depend on it. The Land Rover Discovery loaner car absolutely had a brake hold convenience option in its menu setting and even had a choice for steep hills. When engaged the HOLD message displayed on the console. This it not the case for the I-Pace. Would your agree?

Thanks for your reply so fast.
Yes, so your last paragraph is exactly what I've said & experienced. It's not 100%, but it's certainly 90% in my case.

In terms of a menu item for this feature, no, I've never seen it. It seems to be an integral part of the braking system. So I don't think JLR's documentation is incorrect, the feature is there, it's just not menu controlled. I agree though that because it's not 100% reliable, you do have to be alert. It's quite obvious when it's active and in those cases it seems safe to take your foot off the brake. I've never had a single instance where it activated and then deactivated causing the car to roll forward or backward. So it's better than nothing, but as with so many of these automated features, the driver needs to be alert. It's one of the reasons I never really trusted 'autopilot' on my Model S.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts