Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought an S with all the features the HSE has; but noticed that this one did not have steer assist and adaptive dynamics.

It has the adaptive cruise control, 360 cameras and all. Was wondering if I should change to get the steer assist and adaptive dynamics.

Any recommendations on if they are both worth the upgrade? Can’t figure out based on information i have read so far.

Also are these just software upgrades that can be added later on?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Just bought an S with all the features the HSE has; but noticed that this one did not have steer assist and adaptive dynamics.

It has the adaptive cruise control, 360 cameras and all. Was wondering if I should change to get the steer assist and adaptive dynamics.

Any recommendations on if they are both worth the upgrade? Can’t figure out based on information i have read so far.

No, they can't be added later.

You already bought the S? You would lose an incredible amount of money "upgrading", so no. Not worth it.

Personally I dislike the steer assist and can't really tell how much/if at all Adaptive Dynamics helps. I wouldn't sweat it for a second.

·
Registered
761 Posts

Have tested these features yourself?

I use them extensively and find them very useful, but it almost handicaps you IMO.
I find the implementation JLR uses much better than Teslas because it assists and doesn't allow you to completely rely on it

·
Registered
309 Posts
No, they can't be added later.

You already bought the S? You would lose an incredible amount of money "upgrading"...
This was not true when I priced a year ago. I ordered an 'S', and added almost everything that comes with HSE, along with some things that do not come standard with HSE. The price was pretty much the same as if I had ordered the HSE in the first place, and this way I was able to omit a couple of HSE features that I didn't like.

Perhaps pricing is different now.

·
Registered
558 Posts
ACC I really like and use frequently.
LKA Meh more of a toy to help you if you tend to have distractions. I don't use it much. Maybe on a long drive.
Adaptive Dynamics.... can't imagine that these are ever needed for normal driving. The handling is just fine.

So you have the most important option in my opinion. No need to upgrade.
I have a 2019 HSE without adaptive dynamics.

·
Registered
108 Posts
This was not true when I priced a year ago. I ordered an 'S', and added almost everything that comes with HSE, along with some things that do not come standard with HSE. The price was pretty much the same as if I had ordered the HSE in the first place, and this way I was able to omit a couple of HSE features that I didn't like.

Perhaps pricing is different now.
You're correct the pricing is around the same but OP said he already HAS an S that he's thinking about trading in for an HSE to get two options. He/She will lose a ton of money on depreciation just to get two features.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This was not true when I priced a year ago. I ordered an 'S', and added almost everything that comes with HSE, along with some things that do not come standard with HSE. The price was pretty much the same as if I had ordered the HSE in the first place, and this way I was able to omit a couple of HSE features that I didn't like.Perhaps pricing is different now.
You're correct the pricing is around the same but OP said he already HAS an S that he's thinking about trading in for an HSE to get two options. He/She will lose a ton of money on depreciation just to get two features.
I haven’t taken possession of the car yet and my dealer is willing to swap out the HSE. However I really like the interior of the S plus the fog lights and other options it has on it.

Sounds like Steer Assist may be ok to have but Adaptive Dynamics is going to not make much difference.

Also the S’s climate control screen appeared to be zippier than the HSE. Hard to tell if it was just me or the software.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Have tested these features yourself?

I use them extensively and find them very useful, but it almost handicaps you IMO.
I find the implementation JLR uses much better than Teslas because it assists and doesn't allow you to completely rely on it
Adaptive Dynamics - I was unable to make out what the difference was.

I tried to test Steer Assist, but it is hard to get a feel for without driving the car for a few days. Every time i tried it would briefly engage.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ACC I really like and use frequently.
LKA Meh more of a toy to help you if you tend to have distractions. I don't use it much. Maybe on a long drive.
Adaptive Dynamics.... can't imagine that these are ever needed for normal driving. The handling is just fine.

So you have the most important option in my opinion. No need to upgrade.
I have a 2019 HSE without adaptive dynamics.
Thanks. Is LKA the same as Steering Assist?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Steering assist for automated lane-keeping purposes works best on freeways where the lines are continuous and reliably visible (especially in long toll lanes with limited entry/exit points). However, since you have to keep providing some input to the steering wheel or you get an alarm you can't really rely on it for steering. Also, it can and does make mistakes occasionally so you have to stay focused to override it, even on freeways with clear lines. This is especially true in the right lane when the lines for an exit diverge away from the freeway or at the entrance merge where the gap in the lines develops on the right... the car likes to wander over toward the exit and or entrance. On secondary streets where the lines on the road break at intersections it is pretty useless. Once in a curve on the freeway with clear lines it just suddenly decided to disengage for no obvious reason... that one was a bit of a surprise and caused me to have to make a quick correction.

That said, there is one place where I've found it to be a good idea. Even when not using it for lane-keeping, if you accidentally miss the lane-change warning light in the mirror or unconsciously drift too close to another vehicle next to you or in your blind spot (or they drift close to you), the car will nudge the steering wheel away from the other car as a warning it is getting close. This saved me from a lane-change mistake once when I had lost track of another car and embarrassingly didn't look over my shoulder properly. The car fairly firmly nudged me back into my lane. It has also warned me a couple of times of other cars with distracted drivers drifting close to me from their lanes even though I was properly in mine.

None of this is enough to make me recommend it as necessary so I can't firmly say it as a must-have for you, but being a tech guy I actually like it and like experimenting with technologies like these. For me I'm glad I got it but I can see where many people will not want to use it much or at all. If it came down to choosing this over some other feature or color/option I felt more strongly about I could see skipping it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Steering assist for automated lane-keeping purposes works best on freeways where the lines are continuous and reliably visible (especially in long toll lanes with limited entry/exit points). However, since you have to keep providing some input to the steering wheel or you get an alarm you can't really rely on it for steering. Also, it can and does make mistakes occasionally so you have to stay focused to override it, even on freeways with clear lines. This is especially true in the right lane when the lines for an exit diverge away from the freeway or at the entrance merge where the gap in the lines develops on the right... the car likes to wander over toward the exit and or entrance. On secondary streets where the lines on the road break at intersections it is pretty useless. Once in a curve on the freeway with clear lines it just suddenly decided to disengage for no obvious reason... that one was a bit of a surprise and caused me to have to make a quick correction.

That said, there is one place where I've found it to be a good idea. Even when not using it for lane-keeping, if you accidentally miss the lane-change warning light in the mirror or unconsciously drift too close to another vehicle next to you or in your blind spot (or they drift close to you), the car will nudge the steering wheel away from the other car as a warning it is getting close. This saved me from a lane-change mistake once when I had lost track of another car and embarrassingly didn't look over my shoulder properly. The car fairly firmly nudged me back into my lane. It has also warned me a couple of times of other cars with distracted drivers drifting close to me from their lanes even though I was properly in mine.

None of this is enough to make me recommend it as necessary so I can't firmly say it as a must-have for you, but being a tech guy I actually like it and like experimenting with technologies like these. For me I'm glad I got it but I can see where many people will not want to use it much or at all. If it came down to choosing this over some other feature or color/option I felt more strongly about I could see skipping it.
Thank you @StormRune for sharing your experience and the detailed explation. You have made it a bit easier for me to make my decision.

·
Registered
17 Posts

Thank you @StormRune for sharing your experience and the detailed explation. You have made it a bit easier for me to make my decision.
@Ipacer the adaptive cruise control is INCREDIBLE. I just purchased a First Edition with the adaptive cruise control and with the heads up display. We were on a busy San Diego highway. We put it into cruise control with adaptive turned on, set it on 80. The car sped up to 80 and then as we caught up to the car in front of us, on my heads up display the icon of the car became closer and closer, and the car correspondingly slowed down to keep perfect distance between us and the car in front of us. Then, the car in front of us switched lanes and instantly the JAG eliminated the car icon in the HUD and sped us back up to 80. The salesman then showed me that I could choose the distance that the ACC keeps between me and the vehicle in front, and it’s all very snazzy. I also tested where I came up upon a slow car in the fast lane. Without needing to touch the accelerator or brake, the car slowed me down to a perfect following distance. I then switched lanes and the car sped me right back up to pass him, before coming upon another car in the right lane. I used my turn signal, switched back to the fast lane and the ACC handled all the braking and accelerating perfectly, with high regen on and with dynamic sporty steering mode engaged. I LOVE the First Edition’s technology and the Heads Up Display!

·
Registered
39 Posts
You do not need steering assist for this, just LKA is enough.

I was also debating an S without steering assist or an HSE with it ... I eventually got the HSE, but not for that reason, the S was missing a few other things ...

Anyway, Steering Assist as far as I'm concerned has one single-use, and this is when you encounter traffic at a well-marked road or highway, it's awesome that the car just handles it itself, however, when there is no traffic I like to actively drive the car, the steering assist, although somewhat good, is not reliable enough to give it full control (i.e. start reading a book while it drives >:) ) and at times it feels like a 15-year-old new driver trying to stay centered in the lane ...

In short, I would NOT add much money to get this feature (I would add a bit)

·
Registered
108 Posts
I haven’t taken possession of the car yet and my dealer is willing to swap out the HSE. However I really like the interior of the S plus the fog lights and other options it has on it.

Sounds like Steer Assist may be ok to have but Adaptive Dynamics is going to not make much difference.

Also the S’s climate control screen appeared to be zippier than the HSE. Hard to tell if it was just me or the software.
Oh, I see.

I would say fog lights & interior are many times more important than Adaptive Dynamics & Steer Assist. If you're going to lose anything to gain those two features, it just isn't worth it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks everyone for the advise. Finally settled on an SE with all the options I wanted and included the steering assist as well as adaptive dynamics.

Now on to figuring out which changer to install. Planning to run the line myself with a 50 amp breaker at the main panel and a NEMA 16-50 outlet. Planning to use 6/3 cable.

Let me know if anyone has any suggestions or comments on the charger setup.

·
Registered
2019 Jaguar i-Pace HSE
266 Posts
Assuming you mean 14-50, not 16-50. If so, I do like the JuiceBox Pro 40A I have. My one complaint is the charging cable is very think and not very pliable. If I were doing it again I would probably get a 30A charger instead.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Steering assist rocks. It's not perfeck (sic) but it's relaxing.
Hard to tell about the suspension, I always have the car set on "No Prisoners". That's the phaser setting past Kill.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts