Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me?
I find the i-pace the most frustrating and annoying car I have ever owned. It drives me bonkers, every trip has a "here we go again.." moment.
It's a lovely car to drive, really, really nice, it has good range, not great, but almost enough, I can live with the range. It's really comfortable, the driving position is excellent, it's comfortable on long journeys, it has plenty of space and I just love the blind spot monitors to bits...so what's the beef?
It used to have a profile set as me, it used to forget it most journeys, but myself and my wife could have some profile settings, now it will not allow any profiles to be created, the "next" just looks at you and does nothing...
The SATNAV is incredibly clever, but...
When you are lost, and decide to turn on the satvav for help, it sulks, and takes minutes to load, so you have to stop and wait for t to load...
It always forgets where home is, you want to drive home at the end of a long day, and have to input your address, again!
It plays "maybe" on connection to Apple CarPlay, sometimes they play nice, other times it ignores the phone completely - I think it does this as it gets jealous, to prevent us using an alternative Satnav like Waze...
Software updates don't load, not on the first 17 attempts anyway, I keep hoping the next update will turn my tantrum prone car into the beauty that i know is in there...
...I know these are small niggles, but then I think, will the airbags sulk on the first 17 collisions? Will the emergency brakes decide they just don't want to stop after all? will my lovely blind-spot monitors wait until I'm lulled into a safe feeling, then not alert me to the 10 tonne truck that can easily fit into the blind spot? - Assuming the software that controls these systems was written by the same people that wrote the systems I do interact with regularly, and are so apparently not fit for purpose, can I trust them?
I could not in a clear conscience possibly advise anyone to buy an i-pace, which is just such a shame, it could be soooo good.

·
Registered
MY21 Portofino Blue HSE, Pano Roof, Clearsight Mirror, Air Suspension & AD, Upgraded Cabin Light
324 Posts
What software version are you on profiles were resolved (again) in Pivi 2.1.0

Connectivity is much improved I find when I plug my phone in (Android not iPhone) but assume the iPhone is similar. Yes the connection can be a little temperamental but is much improved I find using a USB C to USB C lead

To apply a software update you need good internet connectivity. I generally find this is best and most reliably done at home with the wifi connectivity.

I have had more profound problems than yours (e.g. non working AC and terrible dealers) but currently all is resolved.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Do you have the new pivi pro or the previous In-control infotainment? I have a 2020 with the incontrol. I use Android auto which works quite well actually so can't comment on Apple Car Play. The SatNav takes a bit to load up from off but once the car is running I don't seem to have any problems with it - I don't use it that much for individual locations but my home and work commutes seem to be present. There are reports of the profiles being lost / forgotten - it's happened to me but not since the most recent update.

Software updates are infrequent - I think I've only done 2 OTA of the infotainment. The dealer did the TCU for me. Never had the BMS updated and I'm on quite an old version - rumor is Jag doesn't want to update this unless you have an issue?

I've had my issues with blank screens, air conditioning, and 1 12 volt battery failure. I'm hoping it will settle down now for the final year of my lease - this will determine if I keep it or move on to a different BEV manufacturer. Still the car I desire most that is not significantly over $100k.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm currently on 2.0.10e, but it's sulking and won't install the latest version, even when connected to the house wifi. I have tried every hour today, I have tried resetting it about 3 times, reconnecting to wifi, try again, and still it says update failed... I have tried scheduled updates at 2am, and "update now"...
I think it's just one of those things, I think it's part of my progress to Nirvana, it's to teach me patience....
I might try a wireless connection for Carplay, to stop the need to plug in the phone and hope for a connection, as BT does seem to be a more reliable connection, assuming the car will recognise a BT Carplay adaptor...anyone tried any of them successfully?

·
Registered
MY21 Portofino Blue HSE, Pano Roof, Clearsight Mirror, Air Suspension & AD, Upgraded Cabin Light
324 Posts
I'm currently on 2.0.10e, but it's sulking and won't install the latest version, even when connected to the house wifi. I have tried every hour today, I have tried resetting it about 3 times, reconnecting to wifi, try again, and still it says update failed... I have tried scheduled updates at 2am, and "update now"...
I think it's just one of those things, I think it's part of my progress to Nirvana, it's to teach me patience....
I might try a wireless connection for Carplay, to stop the need to plug in the phone and hope for a connection, as BT does seem to be a more reliable connection, assuming the car will recognise a BT Carplay adaptor...anyone tried any of them successfully?
If it continually fails you might want to call out Jaguar assistance. It could be tied to a need to update some modules which cannot be updated OTA.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I understand your frustrations with the infotainment system of the I-Pace. It truly boggles the mind on what JLR was thinking.

Infotainment has many glitches and underpowered hardware, but that's not the same as safety and performance of the car itself.
Infotainment UX is not JLRs strong suit.
Jaguar is very conservative and risk adverse when it comes to safety.
I heavily rely on the blind spot monitoring and I use the ADAS every time in on the freeway. I know it's predefined limitations.

As far the as emergency braking system, I use the warning only, not the braking because I'll cut it really close where I want to control how close to get to an object. I use the warning as a tool to make sure I'm paying attention.

My frustration with the infotainment disappears when I sit in it, look at the well built beautiful interior and smash on the accelerator.
I want more car feedback and less screen interactions. This helps me ignore the clear flaws of the I-Pace

·
Registered
398 Posts
Is it just me?
I find the i-pace the most frustrating and annoying car I have ever owned. It drives me bonkers, every trip has a "here we go again.." moment.
It's a lovely car to drive, really, really nice, it has good range, not great, but almost enough, I can live with the range. It's really comfortable, the driving position is excellent, it's comfortable on long journeys, it has plenty of space and I just love the blind spot monitors to bits...so what's the beef?
It used to have a profile set as me, it used to forget it most journeys, but myself and my wife could have some profile settings, now it will not allow any profiles to be created, the "next" just looks at you and does nothing...
When you are lost, and decide to turn on the satvav for help, it sulks, and takes minutes to load, so you have to stop and wait for t to load...
It always forgets where home is, you want to drive home at the end of a long day, and have to input your address, again!
It plays "maybe" on connection to Apple CarPlay, sometimes they play nice, other times it ignores the phone completely - I think it does this as it gets jealous, to prevent us using an alternative Satnav like Waze...
Software updates don't load, not on the first 17 attempts anyway, I keep hoping the next update will turn my tantrum prone car into the beauty that i know is in there...
...I know these are small niggles, but then I think, will the airbags sulk on the first 17 collisions? Will the emergency brakes decide they just don't want to stop after all? will my lovely blind-spot monitors wait until I'm lulled into a safe feeling, then not alert me to the 10 tonne truck that can easily fit into the blind spot? - Assuming the software that controls these systems was written by the same people that wrote the systems I do interact with regularly, and are so apparently not fit for purpose, can I trust them?
I could not in a clear conscience possibly advise anyone to buy an i-pace, which is just such a shame, it could be soooo good.
It is pretty clear that what you are experiencing is not normal. How long have you had the car and have you visited your service dealer about this yet?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have an older model with the previous infotainment system. These days the current software is pretty perfect. One time in 20 i'll lose Spotify, but that a side I don't really have any issue. The satnav is a bit slow at startup, but WAY better than Apple Maps or Google maps, especially if there are any tunnels or tall buildings that interfere with GPS. I used both Apple/Google in Boston in a rental with car play recently and it was abysmal compared with a full in-car system. I do think most manufacturers are in catchup m ode with regard to the system requirements and expectations of modern electronics. The issue is that they don't want to put $1000 systems into the car to run infotainment... Until they get that they don't have a choice, not much will change.
I was looking forward to the promise of Pivi Pro, but I'm glad I don't have the beta experience most people seem to be having...and to answer your question: My profile always loads, it has never forgotten where home is and apple carplay works every time.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
724 Posts
I have an older model with the previous infotainment system. These days the current software is pretty perfect. One time in 20 i'll lose Spotify, but that a side I don't really have any issue. The satnav is a bit slow at startup, but WAY better than Apple Maps or Google maps, especially if there are any tunnels or tall buildings that interfere with GPS. I used both Apple/Google in Boston in a rental with car play recently and it was abysmal compared with a full in-car system. I do think most manufacturers are in catchup m ode with regard to the system requirements and expectations of modern electronics. The issue is that they don't want to put $1000 systems into the car to run infotainment... Until they get that they don't have a choice, not much will change.
I was looking forward to the promise of Pivi Pro, but I'm glad I don't have the beta experience most people seem to be having...and to answer your question: My profile always loads, it has never forgotten where home is and apple carplay works every time.
Agreed. The earlier models seem to be running well currently. No car at this price is perfect, but any unresolved issues are not worth a lengthy rant.

The o.p. obvious has some issues with an early version of PiviPro - similar issues to those other MY21 owners have documented. In these cases a visit to the dealer and a forced update has often apparently resolved these issues. Be proactive. Take a visit to your dealership and get it sorted. If that doesn't solve the issues please rant again.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Is it just me?
It's certainly not me.
It is a lovely car to drive.
The blind spot monitor is excellent. My Model Y doesn't have one for rear cross traffic.
Profiles are fine for me.
Satnav loads quickly for the rare times I use it.
It knows where my home is.
I don't use iPhones, so I dunno. I don't use Carplay or Android Auto. I think they both suck on every car.
My software updates work great. Try another network.
I have more confidence in the software than you, but then it works fine for me.
I regularly wonder whether I should have gotten a 2nd ipace instead of the Model Y.

·
Registered
206 Posts
The I Pace is up there with my favorite cars that I have ever owned, but if I"m being honest, it's been a journey that's required me to adapt to the car's quirks.

CarPlay works perfectly ... as long as I follow the chicken dance as to when to plug in my phone and the procedure for turning off the car (this isn't all on JLR as some apps are more finicky that others; I'm looking at you NPR One).

I don't use or need timed charging. The car and I have come to an agreement: As long as I only occasionally set my departure time and precondition the cabin on demand, we'll pretend InControl works.

Because I live in CarPlay land, I don't notice the TouchPro input lag ... until I need to make the four or five presses to get the 360 camera on screen for a tight parking spot. JLR needs to add the camera to those functions accessible from the steering wheel programmable button.

We don't use profiles as my wife and I both use each set of keys. As long as the inconveniently placed seat memory buttons work, we're good.

I've even learned where the sweet spots are to make the gesture tailgate work.

Because this is the internet, let me be clear: I'm not being sarcastic; I love my I Pace. My battery is healthy after almost 29,000 miles and it still drives like a dream. Even today, I don't know of an EV that I'd prefer in terms interior and exterior styling. But the car is far from perfect and if I didn't love the important bits so much, the little quirks would get on my nerves to no end.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Is it just me?
Very well put! Jaguar still obviously have a lot of work to do and after mine was written off in February I would definitely consider if it’s worth the risk. Who needs it!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Is it just me?
Not just you.
Software quality is clearly not part of Jaguars strength. There are all sorts of strange qwerks that suggest the that the writers have never had to live it, or just don't care.
Much worse is that their public interface has a degree of hubris that will make it difficult for them to change.
It is unfortune that a car with a lot going for it is let down like this.

The issue that has most vexed me is that in my 2020 model the charging will not stop at the prefered time. After 10 days in the dealership the word back from Jaguar was that it is supposed to be like this and they copied the feature from Tesla - so it must be right. Obviously this is not so, and my pointing out that there is no point having a setting for this if it does not work did nothing to convine them to report this as a bug.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Is it just me?
I think in the 2 days since you joined this forum that most owners will tell you the same thing, if unhappy then just sell the car. Speaking for myself and probably the majority of
people that own the I-Pace, we love it and never experienced anything like you have. Yes, the info system is slow but it never failed me and is 100% accurate in everything that I see on screen.
Again, if you are so unhappy, instead of compaining, sell your car and move on.

·
Registered
36 Posts
So... This is the absolute best car I've ever owned from a potential perspective. But, it certainly can be frustrating and fails to deliver on its capability. If I have to assess the overall, I do indeed like it. I just don't have the car I was promised or was specified by JLR. I am convinced JLR needs software quality control. I really wish I could help since this car is so well made and has so much potential. But, until JLR can figure out how to sort out their software glitches, the car will continue to cause frustration and not perform to what it should perform to. They need to track all use cases of software glitches with a person who is dedicated to track and understand the reports. Until that happens, the car will simply not meet expectations nor specifications. Someone like me who works in software yet experiences the car every day and who also reads the reports from regular users such as us needs to be involved. Until then, the company will spiral until it goes down the drain. JLR has the best possible platform for the 2018-2023 window with lots of room for growth that could have easily brought in revenue during the time between launch of the iPace until now - bear in mind that it's still the best BEV on the market you can buy today. Oh well, they aren't listening or trying hard enough.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Is it just me?
Yes, sorry, it’s just you. For me that is.

Consider our I Pace is my wife’s car and is driven the least in the fam. It’s had its issues, including stranding us halfway into a 350 mile vacation drive, but I think this is more of the norm for a new car anymore.

I’d take your list of issues over the now total recall of the Chevy Bolt, the most driven car in the fam, but I have to admit your list is longer than the one I had when I took my Land Rover in for service last week. On the other hand, they fixed all the quirks in my Landy in a day, and my happiness with it has never languished.

Like someone said earlier, I think the I Pace is the finest car I’ve ever owned, quirks or not.

Reactions: Qtown charger

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think in the 2 days since you joined this forum that most owners will tell you the same thing, if unhappy then just sell the car. Speaking for myself and probably the majority of
people that own the I-Pace, we love it and never experienced anything like you have. Yes, the info system is slow but it never failed me and is 100% accurate in everything that I see on screen.
Again, if you are so unhappy, instead of compaining, sell your car and move on.
How rude! This is suppose to be a forum that discusses both good and bad points. Best thing I ever did was get rid of my IPace. Luved it until it failed me and Jaguar had no answers! Got my money back and bought a new car that I feel safe in!

·
Registered
206 Posts
How rude! This is suppose to be a forum that discusses both good and bad points. Best thing I ever did was get rid of my IPace. Luved it until it failed me and Jaguar had no answers! Got my money back and bought a new car that I feel safe in!
No one means to be rude. I join forums for every car that I own and this one is up there with insightcentral in terms of helpful folks with a good attitude. I think that's a natural result of owning a low volume niche car; the enthusiasts stick together.

At this point, crappy JLR software and spotty service* is baked into the cake. If someone purchases an I Pace without considering these well-known factors, then that's kind of on them (not that JLR shouldn't do better, they absolutely should). If we come across as less than sympathetic, it's not because we lack empathy, it's because we're frogs in hot water on these points.

I understand that your issues went beyond the usual "quirks" and you are welcome to share your story. We need to know when major issues come up so we can be on the lookout with our own cars.

And this isn't to say that I have rose colored glasses when it comes to the I Pace. Because it's relatively rare where I live, I get questions about it all the time and I'm very careful to let people know that it is a great car for me and I list the potential issues.

The pushback that you sense on this forum is where some frustrated posters cross over from reporting problems and asking for help to advocating that the I Pace is an objectively horrible car. Many of us have had a wonderful ownership experience despite the fact the car has issues. Coming to this forum and implying that those of us who are happy with our I Pace are wrong is going to get some resistance.

* Oddly, it seems complaints about poor service from JLR is more common in the UK than here in the US.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts