Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my biggest dislikes is with the glare and reflection off the dash, I can only drive the car comfortably wearing polarized glasses. Otherwise it is like I am looking through a picture of my dash in both hazy and sunny days. I've never had a car that presents such a distracting view of what is in front of me.

I see little about this in the forums, and am not sure why this is just my number one gripe (although I support most of the other gripes as well).

I want so much to like this car (coming from a trouble free and pleasure to drive BMW X3), but am considering putting it back up for sale as it just is not ready for prime-time.

Just me??

·
Registered
470 Posts
I have found parts of the dash and center console to have highly reflective surfaces (LCD displays, panel above the glove box, and silver polished areas). The can be quite annoying when the sun and car are at just the "wrong" angle. Fortunately this is a rare occasion. However, I don't have a problem while looking through the windshield. The only things I see there are the outside world and the HUD.

Maybe it depends on height of ones eyeballs in the car and thus the angle of seeing anything reflecting onto the windshield. You do have to sit comfortably and the height of your eyeballs won't vary from there. That would influence your experience compared to others with a different viewing angle to the windshield.

Did you get the dashboard with the area of seat color leather on it? I don't so I can't vouch for how that reflects if it isn't black.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I do have to agree with lair12 that this small but important detail was overlooked (no pun intended) and can be annoying, especially at dusk and dawn. I had a much bigger issue, the wavy wires in the heated windshield creating 'starry' effects at night so much that visibility was threatened, so once that got solved (after 7 months and a new car), the occasional glare/reflection of the dash in the windshield paled in comparison (pun intended). It is odd how JLR missed this... I would have expected such an oversight from Tesla, newer to manufacturing cars, not JLR.

·
Registered
685 Posts
What about the lightest tint for the windshield?
Especially if its ceramic, with those benefits.

Would that make a difference?

·
Registered
921 Posts
I bought a black interior on purpose because reflections annoy me, but I find the Jaguar's reflections the same as any other black interior car. Not much at all.

So what color is your interior? Full leather interior or partial?

·
Super Moderator
1,741 Posts
I bought a black interior on purpose because reflections annoy me, but I find the Jaguar's reflections the same as any other black interior car. Not much at all.

So what color is your interior? Full leather interior or partial?
that's the key question; i have black interior and not experienced this .. though i'm having a hard time remembering, not having driven my i-Pace for six weeks

·
Registered
921 Posts
that's the key question; i have black interior and not experienced this .. though i'm having a hard time remembering, not having driven my i-Pace for six weeks
Unless they can get it to you soon, I'd start the lemon process. You can always buy a new replacement for less and come out ahead financially. I think they're dragging they're feet because you're not putting their feet to the fire.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I fully agree, Lair12. I too find this MOST annoying. I've never experienced anything like this in any other car I've owned. I've had a bit of reflected glare in past cars, but nothing like the I Pace. Still, I truly like this car in most respects.

·
Registered
41 Posts
There are many discussions in this forum about the impact of the embedded heated windshield wires on visibility. Do you have that "feature"? I specifically purchased without the heated windshield because of the experiences I read about in this and other forums. I've since driven a (loaner) Jaguar with the heated windshield and saw firsthand how distracting and difficult the glare off those wires can be under various driving conditions, such as sunset and foggy/rainy weather.

One of my biggest dislikes is with the glare and reflection off the dash, I can only drive the car comfortably wearing polarized glasses. Otherwise it is like I am looking through a picture of my dash in both hazy and sunny days. I've never had a car that presents such a distracting view of what is in front of me.

I see little about this in the forums, and am not sure why this is just my number one gripe (although I support most of the other gripes as well).

I want so much to like this car (coming from a trouble free and pleasure to drive BMW X3), but am considering putting it back up for sale as it just is not ready for prime-time.

Just me??

·
Registered
921 Posts
Here is a sample of what I see. Does the heated windshield make this worse?
There's some effect in that shot from the heated windshield, but nothing that would bother me. The rest of your glare seems worse than what I normally get. The shine off the dash is especially strong. I'd try a low-sheen leather treatment.

·
Registered
539 Posts
In looking at those photos.... maybe there is an anti-glare or anti-reflective treatment that can be applied. Or maybe the dealer put something on that creates the effect inadvertently.

·
Super Moderator
1,158 Posts
There are many discussions in this forum about the impact of the embedded heated windshield wires on visibility. Do you have that "feature"? I specifically purchased without the heated windshield because of the experiences I read about in this and other forums. I've since driven a (loaner) Jaguar with the heated windshield and saw firsthand how distracting and difficult the glare off those wires can be under various driving conditions, such as sunset and foggy/rainy weather.
The impact of a heated windshield on vision is clearly dependent on the individual, while many on this forum have raised it as an issue, many others, myself included, have stated it is not an issue. I have driven dozens of different cars, from different manufacturers with heated windshields, in all conditions and have never had an issue. unless I moved south, I wouldn’t even consider buying a new car without one.

·
Registered
511 Posts
The pics posted 6 entries above reflect (pun?) a DIFFERENT issue than visibility impact of the heated windshield. I'm the author of the bulk of the heated windshield "warnings"... I had ordered and HSE without that feature (I'm in FL and have no use for it), but when my ordered build came in last December with the wrong headliner, I abandoned it and found a comparably equipped FE at another dealer 2 days later. Only 7-10 days into ownership did I drive at night and "discover" the heated windshield effect. My ensuing 4 month runaround with JLR is well documented in this forum, ultimately resulting in a trade-in and order/purchase of a 2020 HSE, delivered 3 months ago.

I, too, see *exactly* what lair12 has captured perfectly in the above photos. I have the full leather wrap, although it appears lair12 does not. When I first complained about the heated windshield issue to the GM of the dealership, he also said the speaker grille reflection in the windshield bothered him more than the heating wires, but he had little nighttime driving experience (when the heating wires had their greatest visibility impairment). While I agree with lair12 that this is poorly designed/handled, it did not rise to the level of my more bothersome issue of the wires - in fact I believed that the heating wires exacerbated the dash glare.

I will say, I did notice a 'film' on the *inside* of my windshield - even right after delivery. Cleaning this thoroughly helped some. I have also noticed, that perhaps due to the steep rake of the windshield, the I-Pace windshield seems to attract/accumulate more dust/dirt than I've previously experienced. Keeping the windshield clean helps - even if that means a quick wipe-off daily. I should look into some of the glass cleaners mentioned that purport to deter accumulation of particles of any type on the glass. Nonetheless, even without the heating wires, the dash glare is noticeably worse than any car I've owned, including those with lighter dash tops. I do like the suggestion of investigating the "low-sheen" leather cleaners, too.

·
Registered
921 Posts
This got me searching for matte finishes. I'm ordering some black 3.0 paint. I wonder how that will look on a dashboard.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Having the pictures above to show the issue was a great help. I drove mine later this morning (after sun up) than usual (before sun up) and noticed this in mine. It does not bother me because I seem to have trained myself to look at the objects beyond and not focus on the windshield except when looking at HUD info.

The trim around the HUD seems to be more reflective than the rest of top of the instrument panel. This could be an illusion since it is directly in front of the driver.

Maybe Jaguar can change the material surface to be less glossy in future editions. I don't think they'd do anything about current cars on the road unless the NHTSA could declare it a safety hazard. That isn't likely.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts