Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 95 miles round trip daily commute to work. I have used 2017 F-pace and 2019 I-pace both. Highway commute gas SUV gives 23-24 miles per gallon and uses upto 4 gallon with gas prices @ 2.90$ for premium at Costco will cost 11.60$. I charge daily at home using Juicebox pro40 home charger. It dispenses approximately 45 kw on daily basis. NJ does not have time of use plan and local utility PSE&G charges on average 12-13cents for supply charge and 4-5cents for delivery charges per kw. If use average at 18cents per kw. For 45kw of charge for EV will cost 8.10$.
Hence 8.10/11.60 is the daily savings. On average around 30% in NJ. Not what has been advertised on different website of at least 1/3rd. Most of the website do comparison only using general supply charges of electricity and not considering delivering charges, which results into final total cost of electricity.
However it is to keep in mind if employer offers charging station capabilities at work for free, will lower your cost of ownership and if your area has higher gas prices and lower utility charges, will increase your yearly savings marginally or substantially.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No way buying Prius. I buy cars to thoroughly enjoy driving it. Floor it every chance I get it. It's just to bring false advertising about evs. I love my Ipace and fpace both. Will keep them till the end.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I have personally never bought an EV for the savings. I love the drive, the quiet, the no carbon (I use 100% renewable electricity supplier), and the convenience, just plug it in. As others said a cheap high efficiency ICE will save tons of money compared to an I Pace, and a Honda Fit will save you 15k in price you can put towards gas.

Then you are driving Honda Fit....

·
Registered
997 Posts
One of the least safe cars on the road!

·
Registered
392 Posts
I have 95 miles round trip daily commute to work. I have used 2017 F-pace and 2019 I-pace both. Highway commute gas SUV gives 23-24 miles per gallon and uses upto 4 gallon with gas prices @ 2.90$ for premium at Costco will cost 11.60$. I charge daily at home using Juicebox pro40 home charger. It dispenses approximately 45 kw on daily basis. NJ does not have time of use plan and local utility PSE&G charges on average 12-13cents for supply charge and 4-5cents for delivery charges per kw. If use average at 18cents per kw. For 45kw of charge for EV will cost 8.10$.
Hence 8.10/11.60 is the daily savings. On average around 30% in NJ. Not what has been advertised on different website of at least 1/3rd.
You're saving $3.50 a day or $900 a year - one month I-Pace loan payment. We're paying 6 1/2 cents per kWh off-peak so based on this rate the savings would be as advertised. Our electricity provider doesn't have a delivery charge but if I charge during peak hours then our rates are nearly identical. East Coast energy rates are high as are property taxes. I lived in Rhode Island and paid through the nose for everything.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Note that by focusing on highway performance only, you are comparing ICE at optimal efficiency with EV at worst efficiency, so your overall savings (inclusive of non-highway driving) should be a little better. You've also got MUCH lower maintenance cost for an EV vs ICE vehicle.

I traded in a GL that got only 17-19 mpg (and that's highway!) and pay 11c per kwH. Even with lower gas prices now than when I first became interested in EVs, I figure my 'fuel' cost is going from 20c per mi (ICE) to about 5c per mi (EV), or about 25% of previous cost. At 1000mi/month that's a savings of $150/mo but I didn't drop almost $100K to just save $150 per mo. If I wanted to stretch I could 'rationalize' I'm saving another $50/mo in lower maintenance (?) for about $200/mo EV savings. Over the 5 year life of the car that amounts to about $12,000.

That $12k savings plus a $7500 Federal rebate (total almost $20k) is about the price spread between comparably equipped F-Pace and I-Pace, isn't it?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hence 8.10/11.60 is the daily savings. On average around 30% in NJ. Not what has been advertised on different website of at least 1/3rd. Most of the website do comparison only using general supply charges of electricity and not considering delivering charges, which results into final total cost of electricity.
However it is to keep in mind if employer offers charging station capabilities at work for free, will lower your cost of ownership and if your area has higher gas prices and lower utility charges, will increase your yearly savings marginally or substantially.

Every situation and potential cost savings varies depending on driving habits, vehicles driven, price of gas & electricity, and other factors. For example, the vehicle I traded in for my 2019 Jaguar I-Pace HSE EV was a Porsche Macan Turbo (total vehicle price about the same as my Jaguar I-Pace HSE) in which I drove approx 22,000 miles per year on average and spent approx $350-$400/month on gas alone (not to mention the exorbitant maintenance charges of a Porsche and let's not discuss the repair costs should anything go wrong after warranty expired). In doing the same mileage with my Jaguar I-Pace EV, I spend $80-$110/month on added electric charges here at my home. I think that's a huge cost savings for us. Needless to say, it works for me very nicely. :grin2:

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
The way to make money with an EV:

Have a business, or attend classes that are required for work.
Buy a used EV for ~$10,000.
Drive it as often as possible.
Take the $0.58/mile IRS mileage allowance. Pay $0.04 per mile for electricity.
Drive 11k deductible miles Year One.
Drive 11k deductible miles Year Two.
Pocket over $5000 a year for year 3, 4 and 5. Sell car, purchase new one.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I buy cars to thoroughly enjoy driving it.
Which is why I'm never prepared to answer questions like this. I was asked what the mileage was on my K5 Blazer in '93. "If I cared about gas mileage I wouldn't have bought a Blazer" was my response. I never did bother to find out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Funny that none of the responses here reflect what is supposed to be the big deal - we're supposed to be saving the planet right? For me, I just love rarely going to the pump in my ELR, not polluting and when I do buy gas I would much rather be paying my local power company than OPEC for those first fifty miles of range I get, even if power and gas were the same price. I sit in traffic all the time, so it's awesome not using any gas when I'm just sitting or creeping, all the while getting air conditioning and using my car stereo for all my phone calls (all of my recent cars have excellent sounding phone calling, and it helps when you're getting hard of hearing). All in all, personally I really don't care how much power costs as long as it's not more than gas if I can drive silently and not screw up the air. But that's just me.

·
Registered
189 Posts
The way to make money with an EV:

Have a business, or attend classes that are required for work.
Buy a used EV for ~$10,000.
Drive it as often as possible.
Take the $0.58/mile IRS mileage allowance. Pay $0.04 per mile for electricity.
Drive 11k deductible miles Year One.
Drive 11k deductible miles Year Two.
Pocket over $5000 a year for year 3, 4 and 5. Sell car, purchase new one.

OR as others have said, get solar panels and pay nothing for the electricity for the EV; in fact, sell it back to the utility company to actually make a little or break even on electric utility costs. :wink2: Of course, the upfront costs of the solar panels are a lot, but it takes a few years to break even from what I've heard.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
@deafsoundguy: the great thing about EVs is that it really covers ALL of those. I don't pick them for any of the reasons given, I do it for all. It really does feel strange now to pull into a gas station and pump gas, because when you don't do it for long periods of time all of a sudden you realize how strange it is to pull in, stick a hose in your car, and pour dead animals to burn as a mode of transportation...

And honestly as much as I love my Alfa the main reason I don't drive it as often is how loud it is. Yes I am one of those people, I am an audio guy. I don't love wearing earplugs or an engine screaming at me for more than 20 minutes at a time...

·
Registered
521 Posts
I do it 'cuz it's a fun experience. Y'all can have your other ideals. It doesn't interest me, and it's why I don't go to NDEW events anymore. I have nothing in common with most of those people, save for a select few who see it for what it really is.

P.S. We don't use OPEC oil here much. Canada provides us with way more oil than OPEC, and the way we frack now we may not be much interested in Canada's oil either.

·
Registered
36 Posts
@deafsoundguy : the great thing about EVs is that it really covers ALL of those. I don't pick them for any of the reasons given, I do it for all. It really does feel strange now to pull into a gas station and pump gas, because when you don't do it for long periods of time all of a sudden you realize how strange it is to pull in, stick a hose in your car, and pour dead animals to burn as a mode of transportation...

And honestly as much as I love my Alfa the main reason I don't drive it as often is how loud it is. Yes I am one of those people, I am an audio guy. I don't love wearing earplugs or an engine screaming at me for more than 20 minutes at a time...

Yeah I don't know what happened but I turned 60 and all of a sudden I just hate loud noisy cars. All day and night I have to listen to morons using our through street for their local freeway. I don't need to hear testosterone enhancing exhaust anymore, I just don't care... I'm all about appreciation of the technology using electric, when I want to go electric and knowing gravity is putting energy into my battery rather than my foot grinding away at my brake pads! I live in a hilly area so feeling regen just does it for me where loud exhaust used to...

@ epirali - ha! not many Alfa nuts around... brother had a '67 Duetto Spyder and my Dad completely restored down to the last nut and bolt a '66 Duetto Spyder - better than new when he was done. He really loved that car...I couldn't get my **** legs under the steering wheel! Made for little Italian guys for sure :wink2:

Reactions: epirali
1 - 16 of 16 Posts