1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
980 Posts
Ok, I’ll say it: after creating the i8 5 years ago, then throwing all that away, none of these look remotely interesting to me.

Really? A basic BMW with electric drivetrain? Now? So basically a more expensive version of a Ford or a Bolt? Because I have to say they i3 to me was a big miss in ride/drive. And this is BMW.

At least Porsche got it right, make an exciting car first, then electrify your SUVs.

·
Registered
980 Posts
BMW will always be guilty of waiting FOREVER to produce standard model BEVs.
This, and the fact that part of the i8 "idea" was the you could make standard model two drivetrain cars to both fit EV commuting AND range, and reduce gas usage while maintaining usability. Because if you look at the performance the i8 got from two smaller drivetrains (no its not a supercar but its damned capable for a smaller motor and 3 cylinder engine) they were talking about how you could get good performance from even smaller engine/motor combination, keep a standard car lighter and with less use of gasoline and trade off nothing in performance (the electric motor essentially complimented the weaknesses of smaller engines brilliantly).

But no. Maybe back to traditional hybrids.

·
Registered
383 Posts
https://electrek.co/2020/02/18/motivated-by-teslas-rise-bmw-stokes-up-dealer-excitement-about-its-upcoming-evs/

Much of this sounds promising. They're making the right noises and seem to have some compelling vehicles coming up. And involving the dealers early is sooo important!

I do take issue with the iX3's range estimate ... no way they'll get that with a 74kWh battery on a crossover considering weight and wind resistance ... it's just physics. Anyone wanna bet a virtual beer on this? >:)
I'll take that beer and raise you one. >:)

Given that range (previously known as mpg :wink2:) can be fudged (reference numerous companies caught cheating gasoline and diesel economy ratings), they can probably come up with a way to attain the figures. Take a page from TESLA's book on range figuring, too?

Interesting design feature in the nose of that car. If you look closely, it has an I-pace feature of air going in at the top of the "grille" and apparently flowing all the way to the windscreen instead of exiting part way through the bonnet.

Teaming up with JLR they'll get the benefit of what JLR has learned from the I-pace and Formula-E racing. It is entirely possible that they could come up with something more efficient. They might even learn from JLR about dealership training, involvement, etc., and avoid some of the initial teething issues there too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts