Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

Irritated w/Infotainment, etc

24K views 65 replies 26 participants last post by  traderfjp 
#1 ·
Just need to vent to my fellow I-Pace owners...

I like the car quite a bit but I'm definitely second guessing my purchase at the moment.

Navigation through the car is horrible. I've been using Car Play more now, but even that today took forever to launch, then crashed the stereo and native map screen on the gauge cluster. Then Car Play became non-responsive - even after I unplugged the whole system was a mess.

The load times are obnoxious on this car. I would take slightly more battery use when parked for a system that was ready to go when I hopped in.

Why we don't have wireless Car Play is also beyond me.

The next irritation is probably my own fault - the 22" wheels... They look great... They're pretty rough on the road though..

As I've said before, I'm coming from a '16 X5 Diesel. In that I only had to fill up every ~400 miles or. In the I-Pace, with 500 miles on it, I've had to charge 3-4 times as I knew even with 50% left, I would most likely need more due to the loss of charge in the colder weather. While this just means plugging in at home, I actually think the cost to "fuel" the I-Pace might be MORE than my diesel X5...

In fact, while the I-Pace and the X5 are priced similarly, I think the ride and refinement is more on par with an X3 the more I think about it...

I chose the I-Pace because I wanted something environmentally friendly, fun and comfortable. The infotainment system is crushing my experience with the car and making me focus on all the other small items - like the slightly rough ride.

/end rant (for now).

See less See more
#3 ·
Yea, it's just the overall experience with the infotainment. I've never had a system take this long to load and fail this often. I'm on D for the upgrade by the way.

#5 ·
Interesting enough I decided today to put the car on the highest ride setting (you know the one for off road), and the ride smoothed out a lot. After more than 2 months I had never tried that before. I was really surprised. Try it and see what other think.

#6 ·
Are you in dynamic or comfort mode? There is a big difference. The ride is much tauter than an X5 with far better handling. The X5 is a bit of a barge. Raising the suspension should improve the ride but hurt the handling. I haven't looked at the suspension to see how it senses height, but on my Ram, you can adjust the height by replacing some simple plastic parts connected to sensors. Swapping to 20s or 18s will make a difference in your ride. That's why we didn't get the 22s. That and all the potholes that would destroy 22s.

As for bugs in the infotainment, I don't find them important. Android Auto is crap on every car. I'd rather just use my phone when I need to. I also lived with a mid-early version of idrive. That was pretty miserable.

#7 ·
As for bugs in the infotainment, I don't find them important. Android Auto is crap on every car. I'd rather just use my phone when I need to. I also lived with a mid-early version of idrive. That was pretty miserable.
The infotainment in my A3 etron (admittedly the cheapskate version without touchscreen) was straight from the stone ages. My expectations regarding infotainment are not super high so I refuse to let that ruin my enjoyment of the awesome car. That said, mine isn't all that bad .. the lag is a second here and there ... big deal. And I always let it boot up nicely before starting to drive. But others' experiences seem to be much worse .. surely not just user difference. Buggy PC comes to mind once again ...

#8 ·
How long does yours take to boot? Mine seriously takes at least 90 seconds. I don't want to sit and wait for all my screens to pop up before hittings the road each time I get in the car.

I have driven in off-road mode several times. I didn't notice a huge difference. Also in the off-road mode, it won't automatically lower to access height - which is also a bit dumb. Our XC90 does that no matter what mode you're in.

My X5 definitely doesn't handle like a barge - but that's because I very specifically ordered it with the M-Diff and the other fancy suspension option - I can't remember the name. With those options and the offset 20" tires, the thing really handles quite well for its size. Don't get me wrong, it's nowhere near the handling of my 911 Turbo but it's not bad! Also, early I-Drive was horrendous. After that though, they really nailed it with the ease of functionality.

I was driving home tonight and the car forgot my settings for screen brightness and was blinding me while I tried to find the correct setting to lower the brightness again. I think it's the best in the business right now overall.

At the same time, the stupid heated windshield was making it hard for me to see anything with the blurry vision I get from it when cars are coming at me.

It was a blast to launch it when I got on the highway entry ramp and it's very nice and quiet at speed.

As I said, I'm very torn with what to think about it at this point and I really think if they had just nailed it with the infotainment system my experience wouldn't be quite so jaded.

#9 ·
I think you should reset everything you can in that car and start over, whether manually or with the push of some button. I dont know which one as I manually deleted all of my settings imaginable; profiles, bluetooth connections,sim cards, etc.
It worked wonders for me and things have been perfect since then.

#10 ·
How long does it take for your car to boot now?

The other weird one is that sometimes my profile loads, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes when I click on my profile it says I can't.

Always random.

#11 ·
Its loaded more or less immediately and hasnt been a problem since. I reconnected my phone, installed the app and setup my profile again shortly after I wiped everything and all has been well since. However...I was also in a similar state to you at one point, very frustrating.

#12 · (Edited)
My load time is definitely NOT 90 seconds! ... more like 10-15 (maybe 20 on a bad day) from press of start button to full readiness of all screens. I am on S18C (maybe I should avoid S18D update?) I will say I have adjusted my 'routine' ever so slightly to accommodate boot up with NO impact to enjoyability. In my previous ICE car, especially in my garage, starting the car was the LAST thing I would do (after settling in, adjusting seat/wheel, buckling seat belt, positioning or connecting phone, etc.). Despite loving the power of a big ICE engine in my GL450 and GL550, they were loud and (even with door open) would fill my garage with noxious fumes. (OMG, how happy I am to have left that behind!) When with family or others, I would also await all occupants' arrival and door shutting before turning on the vehicle, both for politeness and the noise/pollution factor.

Now I simply get in and start the car first, then make any adjustments (e.g., seats/wheel, connect my phone for CarPlay, etc.) I have found making this little adjustment in order of operations gives the I-Pace just enough time to boot without creating a "wait" or "load" time.

#13 ·
22" roughness

there seems to be a big debate on 22" or 20"s on this car. Ive seen rough, but Ive also seen better handling. Our roads arent bad and Im in the south so Im hoping 22"s will be good. Did your experience change when you changed the setting?

#14 ·
Good morning all,

I bought my I-Pace after enjoying a BMW i3 for three years. My biggest complaint with the i3 was the flinty ride as I really have no interest in feeling every crack in the pavement on a car that really shouldn’t be calibrated towards sporty when it comes with 5.5” wide tires. Speaking of tires, I had to replace them every 25,000 Kilometers which sort of eats into the economy, doesn’t it?

So I was really concerned about going with the 22’s and made sure I test drove it everywhere and looked for rough pavement. I was pleased that the I-Pace rode beautifully on the 22’s and optioned it that way as the look of it sitting there in access height is fantastic.

Once the temperateure dipped below freezing however, the summer rubber became hard and the ride deteriorated noticeably. You really can’t fault the car for this as the tires are expressly made for summer use only. I am hoping that an all-season tire becomes available as I refuse to put ugly wheels on for six months of the year. Living in Canada unfortunately means that there will be crappy weather to contend with. Sgt—I think a different tire will go a long way to improving your ride experience. I just wonder how long we will have to wait?

With regards to the infotainment experience, I would like to give a nod to BMW to how well sorted the electronics were. As soon as you unlock the door, the computer started to fire up because it logically assumes that the next thing you will do is get in and drive off. By the time you are buckled in and ready to go the computer is also ready and the only item (sometimes) left to boot would be the NAV, although that was rare. The other aspect that I liked is that even when you turned off the car, the computer would continue to run in anticipation that you were going to be coming back after running errands. If you didn’t come back after a little while it would go to sleep on it’s own.

What this also allowed for was that during the preconditioning period, the radio would fire up and I could buffer up to 45 mins of Howard Stern before I left to allow me to skip commercials during my commute. A feature I appreciated immensley. Would the computer consume so much energy that Jaguar couldn’t implement this? Think that would be a simple fix that might eliminate a number of issues if you start driving before everything is fully fired up.

Another feature that I would like to see is the music to automatically pause if a call comes in. Once again, a simple patch would enable this option quite easily I think. Maybe it is already there but I can’t find it?

Overall I am very pleased wth the car, but you are right—the colder weather certainly makes the car harder to live with—some of which has been self imposed—some of which is (hopefully) remedied in future updates.

Thankfully, the core-being of the car is fantastic upon which to flesh out some of the issues.

Don’t despair—spring will make you fall in love all over again! :)

#15 ·
Thanks Timbo.

See my other thread regarding tires - I was desperate and ended up getting 265 40 22s to replace the summer tires. I used Continental DWS which is what I ran on my X5 as well.

Maybe it's the fact it has a slightly higher load rating that makes the car a bit rougher over bumps??

And your description of the current iDrive system is spot on. As soon as you unlock everything starts loading. By the time I got in, buckled my seat belt and hit start it was all good to go - I didn't have to wait like 3-4 minutes to hit the voice control button!

#16 ·

I like the car quite a bit but I'm definitely second guessing my purchase at the moment...
Right there with you. I'm actually going through the buyback process with JLR and I'm not sure if I'm going to get another I-Pace. Besides defects with front struts (knocking noise), brake pedal (noise), door handles (sticking & popping), paint (small area where paint is rubbed off on rear bumper), and bugs with software ( nav is horrible) I've had bad experience with service both at the dealer I purchased from and another dealer I tried to make an appointment with. I do like the driveability of the car, looks, and 90% or so of fit and finish, but the range is really disappointing to me. I had a Tesla before and the range was better along with software, but the build quality sucked big time. So if I don't get another I-Pace I'm not sure what I will get instead. I'm watching the Audi's coming soon so maybe I will wait for the sedan coming. Really not sure.

#22 ·
Right there with you. I'm actually going through the buyback process with JLR and I'm not sure if I'm going to get another I-Pace. .

Yeah, this thread is starting to remind me of the (~2007-2011) 5-Series fuel-pump issue (which BMW eventually bought-back). Hopefully, build quality failures are the rare exception and infotainment issues don't persist or rise to the level of functional failure (otherwise it's time for reports to the NHSTA).

Very sorry to hear about the hassle, but at least it sounds like JLR was relatively quick to respond on the Fedorachef build (taking weeks, not months), and is doing the right thing. That's why Cali has lemon laws. (I went with the next-gen 5-Series and was happy with it for 5 more years . . . and CANNOT believe BWM hasn't produced a fully-electric 5-Series . . . that's why I'm at an I-Pace).

#17 ·
Ha, I was really close to buying the Alfa Stelvio Quadrifoglio before finding the I-Pace. The Alfa was absolutely amazing BUT I would have felt incredibly guilty driving a client around while getting like 10mpg in the city...

#20 ·
Dantrium - I agree. It was definitely a factor in my decision. However, it did seem to at least load and even without plugging in the phone, you could hold down the voice button to summon Siri.

Thanks,

#23 ·
I'm not having as much trouble with my car as I did at first, and AFAIK, it has not had an update. Sorry to hear yours is acting up.

Thoughts:

Carplay should not be wireless since it has active content (executable code). It's a security issue. If you trust Apple, sure. I don't trust Apple or Microsoft to put security ahead of profits. If they did, there would not be active content in letters and pictures.

20" rims handle very well on the I-Pace even with All Seasons and relatively narrow tires. Not my opinion, I ran it at a closed course event against gas cars. I also hit speed bumps at 25mph constantly and it's smoother than our Cadillac which is saying a lot.

I honestly have more issues with my I-Phone X than my cars. Messaging crashes, finger swipe to close apps is terribly unreliable, changes in the interface and buttons make it go mute unintentionally, terrible ATT coverage in our area (18+ million people in a 50 mile radius, <2 miles from 3 antennae yet 0-1 bar coverage), junk calls, auto-rotate image unreliable, music store and app store loaded full of misleading content, apps launch accidentally when I have it in my pocket, no USB support, no replaceable battery, no microSD support, clumsy/unreliable directory structure, vast amounts of undocumented features/quirks, unpredictable battery life (dead in 6 to 120 hours, and not sure what causes early drain), it ate $200 of music I bought during a sync with a MacBook Pro that I had to repurchase, etc, etc.

Auto infotainment is the #1 service complaint across the board. For a Year One car, I'd give the I-Pace a 5 out of 10. Keep in mind that many cars still lack Carplay and AA.
It has a lot of features, but the system is not stable. My biggest gripe with it? It doesn't have a built-in phone. WTF? All my cars since 2004 have had a phone built in. Now for the first time over a decade I have to carry a phone. Even my ZR1 had a built in phone, and it was pretty much a track car.

#25 ·
Ok—now that you have forced me to look more closely at how the computer starts up, here is what I have found:

If you unlock the car with the remote, the computer begins it’s boot up process even before opening the door. I stood outside looking in and watched as all the screens activated. I opened the door and started it up and was able to activate the voice control within 12 seconds from startup. That is a big difference from just getting in and hitting the button.

Maybe the trick is unlock the car as you are approaching it, that way everything is running before you even have your belt buckled.

Now if I could figure out a way to get the radio started during preconditioning....

#26 ·
Sorry that some you guys are having so much problem. For me so far, the car has been trouble-free for the most part. Other than the screens blanking once and once in a while the infotainment forgets my settings, I have never had any major issues (knock on wood). Like @sciencegeek, I'm coming from an Audi e-tron infotainment system that seemed so old compared to the I-Pace one. Th boot up times for the infotainment for me seems to be faster now as I use the car more. And the profile seem to also boot faster and correctly as I use the system more. I think between 10 to 15 seconds. Sometimes the "Live" connection is not active, but I think that's mostly due to signal than the system. A couple of times, I have to log back in. I got a message once that I need update the navigation and directed me to go to a webpage, but that webpage just redirected to Jaguar InControl landing page. Anybody knows how to update the navigation maps? I thought this is connected navigation and always update itself?

I opted for the 18 in wheels because I am going for more range than performance. In hindsight, I maybe should have gone with the 20s; but wheels are changeable so no biggie.

#27 ·
I got a message once that I need update the navigation and directed me to go to a webpage, but that webpage just redirected to Jaguar InControl landing page. Anybody knows how to update the navigation maps? I thought this is connected navigation and always update itself?.
You need to use a PC to update the nav, I don’t recall the exact process but if you Google it, it’ll find it for you. It does require downloading an installer or something along those lines and then you can download the map fil to a USB drive. The map updates come out quarterly.

#29 ·
I have that happening too! Sometimes the car knows me, sometimes it doesn't. My custom home page still sticks. It doesn't load on it, but it still exists at least.

I don't really understand what the profile even does really?

Reactions: WattAJag
#35 ·

I like the car quite a bit but I'm definitely second guessing my purchase at the moment.

Navigation through the car is horrible. I've been using Car Play more now, but even that today took forever to launch, then crashed the stereo and native map screen on the gauge cluster. Then Car Play became non-responsive - even after I unplugged the whole system was a mess.

The load times are obnoxious on this car. I would take slightly more battery use when parked for a system that was ready to go when I hopped in.

Why we don't have wireless Car Play is also beyond me.

The next irritation is probably my own fault - the 22" wheels... They look great... They're pretty rough on the road though..

As I've said before, I'm coming from a '16 X5 Diesel. In that I only had to fill up every ~400 miles or. In the I-Pace, with 500 miles on it, I've had to charge 3-4 times as I knew even with 50% left, I would most likely need more due to the loss of charge in the colder weather. While this just means plugging in at home, I actually think the cost to "fuel" the I-Pace might be MORE than my diesel X5...

In fact, while the I-Pace and the X5 are priced similarly, I think the ride and refinement is more on par with an X3 the more I think about it...

I chose the I-Pace because I wanted something environmentally friendly, fun and comfortable. The infotainment system is crushing my experience with the car and making me focus on all the other small items - like the slightly rough ride.

/end rant (for now).

I agree on JLR's Infotainment system, especially the Voice Recognition for Navigation and the slowness of the entire system; although the technology appears to be some of the latest around, some parts of it including the speed and voice recognition are like from the year 2004. I disagree with you, however, on the 22" wheels...quite smooth and amazing for me, but I was used to 21" Porsche Turbo wheels on my Porsche Macan Turbo (which also had air suspension) and the I-Pace with the 22" wheels not only look better, they ride 10x better! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.