Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

Irritated w/Infotainment, etc

24K views 65 replies 26 participants last post by  traderfjp 
#1 ·
Just need to vent to my fellow I-Pace owners...

I like the car quite a bit but I'm definitely second guessing my purchase at the moment.

Navigation through the car is horrible. I've been using Car Play more now, but even that today took forever to launch, then crashed the stereo and native map screen on the gauge cluster. Then Car Play became non-responsive - even after I unplugged the whole system was a mess.

The load times are obnoxious on this car. I would take slightly more battery use when parked for a system that was ready to go when I hopped in.

Why we don't have wireless Car Play is also beyond me.

The next irritation is probably my own fault - the 22" wheels... They look great... They're pretty rough on the road though..

As I've said before, I'm coming from a '16 X5 Diesel. In that I only had to fill up every ~400 miles or. In the I-Pace, with 500 miles on it, I've had to charge 3-4 times as I knew even with 50% left, I would most likely need more due to the loss of charge in the colder weather. While this just means plugging in at home, I actually think the cost to "fuel" the I-Pace might be MORE than my diesel X5...

In fact, while the I-Pace and the X5 are priced similarly, I think the ride and refinement is more on par with an X3 the more I think about it...

I chose the I-Pace because I wanted something environmentally friendly, fun and comfortable. The infotainment system is crushing my experience with the car and making me focus on all the other small items - like the slightly rough ride.

/end rant (for now).

See less See more
#37 ·
Why we don't have wireless Car Play is also beyond me.
Only thing I'd say as convenient as wireless CarPlay is (I have it on the BMW) I do not like how the screen size/ratio is so much more limited than wires. The plugged in version in the I Pace fills the screen and uses the entire real estate, while on the BMW it uses the left 2/3 in a reduced ratio (I am guessing because of bandwidth reasons).

I would pick plugging the phone in for a full screen any day, but that's just me.

#39 ·
Sorry guys, I need to vent again...

I'm just a bit bummed with the car. It's just little things that bother me. The new one that seems to irritate me is that Jaguar cheaped out and made the sides of the front seats that rub against the center console a sort of fabric instead of full leather. In a 90k car, this seems ridiculous to me. My old X5 was less expensive and still had full leather everywhere.

I also have a squeak now that won't go away from the rear seat - the mechanism to lock it upright is just cheap and probably needs to be adjusted.

I also think that as much as I don't need a big or high riding car, this just feels small for some reason. I'm much more used to the higher position of my X5 or wife's XC90.

With the fact that Jag is now offering 0% financing and all my other quibbles, I'm worried I've made a mistake.

The car does drive incredibly well for what it is. I do find myself missing an exhaust note though.

I bought this car because I wanted something fast that I could drive more guilt-free than any other performance car out there.

I know this is a rambling post and I'm sure some of you will flame me for it.

OH, and the icing on the cake - I'm driving on expired temp tags because in 6 weeks the out of state dealer hasn't been able to get the paperwork so I can register the car. When I was purchasing the car from out of state they basically promised me this wouldn't happen. Well, it did...

#47 ·
Cloth on the side of the seats is a good thing. It eliminates a source of squeaks. Good design, not cheaping out. Ride height is higher than a sedan and lower than a typical SUV. It's a crossover. You can always raise the suspension. Also you get the sedan feel inside. You've only made a mistake if you thought you were buying an appreciating asset that would be widely popular.

In my experience, most good things sell poorly, and most garbage is popular. Here's an example you probably won't get. All hip hop is now trap music, and that has made the genre more popular than ever. Cardi B is on the main stage and DJ Shadow is on the small stage. Black is white. Up is down. Dogs and cats living together. Mass hysteria!

Sorry guys, I need to vent again...

I'm just a bit bummed with the car. It's just little things that bother me. The new one that seems to irritate me is that Jaguar cheaped out and made the sides of the front seats that rub against the center console a sort of fabric instead of full leather. In a 90k car, this seems ridiculous to me. My old X5 was less expensive and still had full leather everywhere.

I also have a squeak now that won't go away from the rear seat - the mechanism to lock it upright is just cheap and probably needs to be adjusted.

I also think that as much as I don't need a big or high riding car, this just feels small for some reason. I'm much more used to the higher position of my X5 or wife's XC90.

With the fact that Jag is now offering 0% financing and all my other quibbles, I'm worried I've made a mistake.

#41 ·
It's just a feeling I can't seem to shake with it.

It really is a good car. And if this was a second car and not a daily driver I might almost like it more as strange as that sounds.

I'm just hoping we didn't all buy an I3 in the making or that weird hybrid Lexus sport wagon thing...

As I've said in another thread the fact that most people just think this is a really good looking smaller brother to the F-Pace isn't helping the street cred here.

#42 ·
I so do not miss the exhaust noise. I like the stealth mode only an EV brings.

I3 weird Lexus sport hybrid wagon thing..... Um NO. No need to even go there.

F-Pace is the one that should be jealous.

Send a written complaint to both DMVs.

I see nothing that matches I-Pace where it counts. Never been happier with a vehicle. Hang in there it will grow on you. The rest just seem like a bucket of bolts.

#43 ·
In referencing the I3 and the Lexus, I more mean cars that crashed in value even when new. I realize the IPace is the far superior car to those.

I think Jaguar shot themselves in the foot with the piss poor lease rate and should have had the infotainment system perfected a bit better before launch.

To be honest, I started the thread about gauge and screen layouts because I just can't figure out the best most ergonomic way to arrange everything. I put the media screen on the lower screen but on Satelite it won't show the band - just the song name - same within the gauge cluster.

Since the built-in nav is garbage, I'm using carplay - but then that doesn't sync with the map on the cluster so there's no need to have 2 maps going. The only other thing I can change that to is the trip computer and I don't really need that info up all the time.

I'm also one of those who is blinded at night by the heated windshield.

I'm still miffed about the tires - but I'll take the blame for that one.

I also wish you could put it in the off-road mode and have it use that as your around town driving mode and still lower to access height when you get out.

Another one that is purely a short person problem - I can't find a comfortable seating position that doesn't have me sitting under the only part of the roof without glass. I can't look up and enjoy the giant glass roof. Stupid t-rex arms... It just makes me feel even shorter...

The car really has the potential to be great, it's just somehow slightly off.

I'm just frustrated.

Reactions: Dantrium
#44 ·
The price may well crash. That does not change the excellent value of keeping the I-Pace. I-Pace will never be a dorky I3 smart or Lex wagon hybrid
I-Pace is the only EV that I see that I can continue driving long into the future. I am expecting 10+ years of ownership. After 10-15 years they are all worth about the same.

#45 ·
Tend to agree. I just got a new 5-series "loaner" (long story). At first I thought, "Oh no, am I going to wish I got one of these instead?" No. Only things I miss from the 5 series: (i) 540+ mile range, and (ii) directional headlights / turning lights (I am effectively blind driving the switch-backs to my house in the dark).

Otherwise, I-Pace is clear winner, and I remain bewildered that BMW hasn't produced an electric sedan. . .

That said, I suspect in ~5 years battery tech will make our current battery packs obsolete; and we'll either be trading-in or upgrading the pack.

#46 ·
While I expect a measured improvement in batteries I don't see a significant improvement in 5 years that would cause most to trade vehicles.
Five year mark is about the worst time to trade as that is when depreciation really slows down.
Battery may get to half the cost and twice the energy density but I see that many years in the future.

#50 ·
I have the FE with the top of the line headlights - I assume. I have the fog lights as well. They are still no match for directional headlights. This is another feature I'm quite bummed we don't get. Again, these are available on even a base model BMW 3 series... They have really really helped me see in the dark on my former BMWs.

#51 ·
I wonder if the fact that Marix LED headlights are a feature in this car, but it doesn't come to US, explains the directional lights. The Matrix LED functionally should be way superior, and maybe they didn't re-engineer just for US?

I am starting to wonder how far we will fall behind as other companies use newer and newer tech that is superior but we keep sticking to old ones.

#55 ·
My understanding is that all versions of the I-Pace headlights are LED. But yeah, even $33k Mazda MX-5s come with directional headlights . . . so disappointing that they're absent on the I-Pace (but hey, future model years need differentiation!). That said, other manufacturers, like Audi, have linked LED lights with significant upgrades = lame up-sale practices.

#60 ·
Well, I can't relate to all your issues but I certainly can re the Navigation System. It is THE worst we've ever owned. It is interesting that our previous Jaguar, a 2010 XJL's Nav had ZERO Problems, This one in our 2019 I-Pace is absolutely AWFUL. We're had it back to our dealer multiple times requesting a "fix" and, even though our Service Rep couldn't get it to locate multiple addresses that are between 10 and 30 years old, he had no solution to our problems. And, each of us has excellent diction and we both spoke slowly and clearly. It couldn't even find the address of the Jag dealership! Nor could it locate the homes of some of his friends or family. In most other respects, we love our I-Pace. What a shame that Jaguar just can't seem to solve what seem to be readily soluble issues. When we're ready for our next EV, it isn't likely to be a Jag. From all I can read right now, the upcoming Lucid, starting in the low $70Ks looks to be a very viable choice. Motor Trend Magazine has tested its earliest models and gave those vehicles RAVE reviews. But, if it's not a Lucid or some other brand, as I said, it is highly unlikely to be a Jag.

#64 ·
Previously, it had been noted that one "feature" of the navigation system is that the car must be set to US English (for a driver in the US) for all language settings in the car in order for it to properly work. I don't know if this is still true after several updates have been applied.

It is a bit picky about the sequence of spoken words for input. I found (today) that it is best to have it speak prompts, wait a second or two of silence, then speak the appropriate response to the prompt. Addresses are harder to input than to select a POI from its prompting. It isn't nearly as good as my 16 RR for voice input, though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.