Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 66 Posts
Right there with you. I'm actually going through the buyback process with JLR and I'm not sure if I'm going to get another I-Pace. .

Yeah, this thread is starting to remind me of the (~2007-2011) 5-Series fuel-pump issue (which BMW eventually bought-back). Hopefully, build quality failures are the rare exception and infotainment issues don't persist or rise to the level of functional failure (otherwise it's time for reports to the NHSTA).

Very sorry to hear about the hassle, but at least it sounds like JLR was relatively quick to respond on the Fedorachef build (taking weeks, not months), and is doing the right thing. That's why Cali has lemon laws. (I went with the next-gen 5-Series and was happy with it for 5 more years . . . and CANNOT believe BWM hasn't produced a fully-electric 5-Series . . . that's why I'm at an I-Pace).

I'm not having as much trouble with my car as I did at first, and AFAIK, it has not had an update. Sorry to hear yours is acting up.

Thoughts:

Carplay should not be wireless since it has active content (executable code). It's a security issue. If you trust Apple, sure. I don't trust Apple or Microsoft to put security ahead of profits. If they did, there would not be active content in letters and pictures.

20" rims handle very well on the I-Pace even with All Seasons and relatively narrow tires. Not my opinion, I ran it at a closed course event against gas cars. I also hit speed bumps at 25mph constantly and it's smoother than our Cadillac which is saying a lot.

I honestly have more issues with my I-Phone X than my cars. Messaging crashes, finger swipe to close apps is terribly unreliable, changes in the interface and buttons make it go mute unintentionally, terrible ATT coverage in our area (18+ million people in a 50 mile radius, <2 miles from 3 antennae yet 0-1 bar coverage), junk calls, auto-rotate image unreliable, music store and app store loaded full of misleading content, apps launch accidentally when I have it in my pocket, no USB support, no replaceable battery, no microSD support, clumsy/unreliable directory structure, vast amounts of undocumented features/quirks, unpredictable battery life (dead in 6 to 120 hours, and not sure what causes early drain), it ate $200 of music I bought during a sync with a MacBook Pro that I had to repurchase, etc, etc.

Auto infotainment is the #1 service complaint across the board. For a Year One car, I'd give the I-Pace a 5 out of 10. Keep in mind that many cars still lack Carplay and AA.
It has a lot of features, but the system is not stable. My biggest gripe with it? It doesn't have a built-in phone. WTF? All my cars since 2004 have had a phone built in. Now for the first time over a decade I have to carry a phone. Even my ZR1 had a built in phone, and it was pretty much a track car.

If Siri / Voice Commands in the car are important look into the upcoming Amazon Echo Auto. OK wont be able to control your car systems with it but your phone will do all the talking and playing. Connect iphone t via bluetooth to the infotainment and there you go.

At 24.99 intro price it should be pretty popular too.

https://www.amazon.com/Introducing-Echo-Auto-first-your/dp/B0753K4CWG

Ok—now that you have forced me to look more closely at how the computer starts up, here is what I have found:

If you unlock the car with the remote, the computer begins it’s boot up process even before opening the door. I stood outside looking in and watched as all the screens activated. I opened the door and started it up and was able to activate the voice control within 12 seconds from startup. That is a big difference from just getting in and hitting the button.

Maybe the trick is unlock the car as you are approaching it, that way everything is running before you even have your belt buckled.

Now if I could figure out a way to get the radio started during preconditioning....

Sorry that some you guys are having so much problem. For me so far, the car has been trouble-free for the most part. Other than the screens blanking once and once in a while the infotainment forgets my settings, I have never had any major issues (knock on wood). Like @sciencegeek, I'm coming from an Audi e-tron infotainment system that seemed so old compared to the I-Pace one. Th boot up times for the infotainment for me seems to be faster now as I use the car more. And the profile seem to also boot faster and correctly as I use the system more. I think between 10 to 15 seconds. Sometimes the "Live" connection is not active, but I think that's mostly due to signal than the system. A couple of times, I have to log back in. I got a message once that I need update the navigation and directed me to go to a webpage, but that webpage just redirected to Jaguar InControl landing page. Anybody knows how to update the navigation maps? I thought this is connected navigation and always update itself?

I opted for the 18 in wheels because I am going for more range than performance. In hindsight, I maybe should have gone with the 20s; but wheels are changeable so no biggie.

I got a message once that I need update the navigation and directed me to go to a webpage, but that webpage just redirected to Jaguar InControl landing page. Anybody knows how to update the navigation maps? I thought this is connected navigation and always update itself?.
You need to use a PC to update the nav, I don’t recall the exact process but if you Google it, it’ll find it for you. It does require downloading an installer or something along those lines and then you can download the map fil to a USB drive. The map updates come out quarterly.

Discussion starter · #29 ·
I have that happening too! Sometimes the car knows me, sometimes it doesn't. My custom home page still sticks. It doesn't load on it, but it still exists at least.

I don't really understand what the profile even does really?

Reactions: WattAJag
Just need to vent to my fellow I-Pace owners...

I like the car quite a bit but I'm definitely second guessing my purchase at the moment.

Navigation through the car is horrible. I've been using Car Play more now, but even that today took forever to launch, then crashed the stereo and native map screen on the gauge cluster. Then Car Play became non-responsive - even after I unplugged the whole system was a mess.

The load times are obnoxious on this car. I would take slightly more battery use when parked for a system that was ready to go when I hopped in.

Why we don't have wireless Car Play is also beyond me.

The next irritation is probably my own fault - the 22" wheels... They look great... They're pretty rough on the road though..

As I've said before, I'm coming from a '16 X5 Diesel. In that I only had to fill up every ~400 miles or. In the I-Pace, with 500 miles on it, I've had to charge 3-4 times as I knew even with 50% left, I would most likely need more due to the loss of charge in the colder weather. While this just means plugging in at home, I actually think the cost to "fuel" the I-Pace might be MORE than my diesel X5...

In fact, while the I-Pace and the X5 are priced similarly, I think the ride and refinement is more on par with an X3 the more I think about it...

I chose the I-Pace because I wanted something environmentally friendly, fun and comfortable. The infotainment system is crushing my experience with the car and making me focus on all the other small items - like the slightly rough ride.

/end rant (for now).

I agree on JLR's Infotainment system, especially the Voice Recognition for Navigation and the slowness of the entire system; although the technology appears to be some of the latest around, some parts of it including the speed and voice recognition are like from the year 2004. I disagree with you, however, on the 22" wheels...quite smooth and amazing for me, but I was used to 21" Porsche Turbo wheels on my Porsche Macan Turbo (which also had air suspension) and the I-Pace with the 22" wheels not only look better, they ride 10x better! :)

Discussion starter · #36 ·
I lowered the air in my tires to the light load setting and it rides significantly better now.

Reactions: sflgator
Why we don't have wireless Car Play is also beyond me.
Only thing I'd say as convenient as wireless CarPlay is (I have it on the BMW) I do not like how the screen size/ratio is so much more limited than wires. The plugged in version in the I Pace fills the screen and uses the entire real estate, while on the BMW it uses the left 2/3 in a reduced ratio (I am guessing because of bandwidth reasons).

I would pick plugging the phone in for a full screen any day, but that's just me.

I opted for the 18 in wheels because I am going for more range than performance. In hindsight, I maybe should have gone with the 20s; but wheels are changeable so no biggie.
I drove both 18 in and 20 in and (just as was true for my RDX) the 18 in rides better. My streets are rough and the I-pace swallows them up.
Had a chuckle at one post saying 20 inch would be faster as if the base S with 18inch isn't fast enough one should get to the track in a top fuel dragster.
I agree that in a year or three I may look into a second sexier set of wheels / tires as a facelift

Discussion starter · #39 ·
Sorry guys, I need to vent again...

I'm just a bit bummed with the car. It's just little things that bother me. The new one that seems to irritate me is that Jaguar cheaped out and made the sides of the front seats that rub against the center console a sort of fabric instead of full leather. In a 90k car, this seems ridiculous to me. My old X5 was less expensive and still had full leather everywhere.

I also have a squeak now that won't go away from the rear seat - the mechanism to lock it upright is just cheap and probably needs to be adjusted.

I also think that as much as I don't need a big or high riding car, this just feels small for some reason. I'm much more used to the higher position of my X5 or wife's XC90.

With the fact that Jag is now offering 0% financing and all my other quibbles, I'm worried I've made a mistake.

The car does drive incredibly well for what it is. I do find myself missing an exhaust note though.

I bought this car because I wanted something fast that I could drive more guilt-free than any other performance car out there.

I know this is a rambling post and I'm sure some of you will flame me for it.

OH, and the icing on the cake - I'm driving on expired temp tags because in 6 weeks the out of state dealer hasn't been able to get the paperwork so I can register the car. When I was purchasing the car from out of state they basically promised me this wouldn't happen. Well, it did...

21 - 40 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.