Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my I-Pace but found the lack of a dock for recent iPhones a strange omission. However, a family member of mine has started to 3d-print a small, simple dock so that you can use it in the slot between the two cup holders.

It is available on Etsy.

or you can download the 3D model here.

A couple of people (myself included) over on the UK i-pace forums have been testing it and the feedback is good.

Any questions feel free to ask.

·
Registered
424 Posts
This is really cool. I've been looking for something like this for sure.

How does it handle the cord? Like if I pick up the phone to look at something does it then unplug or does the cord go with it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You wrap a small piece of the supplied double-sided tape around the lightning cable so that it grips it and holds it in place. So yes, if you pick up the phone it will disconnect it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just went to the Apple store and purchased an iPhone dock. Then I used 3M Command Adhesive strips to mount the dock to the sloped area just below the HVAC control screen, and placed two small rubber bumpers on the bezel just below the HVAC screen to keep the phone from moving side to side. It is setup such that the phone rests on the bezel below the HVAC screen on the top edge of the iPhone. This makes the screen of the phone visible and guarantees the best GPS signal to the phone. Simple to use, does not block the cup holders at all, and uses what is otherwise a pretty much unused area while driving.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
I don't have an iPhone, I 3D printed myself a solution that holds the phone in a perfect position, and more importantly, lets me plug it in immediately without having to fiddle with it, super convenient.

My solution involves 4 3D printed pieces and I used a piece of metal to hold the "wedge" and the "dock" together.

Here's a couple of images, and if anyone is interested in the SketchUp files, just PM me. Dock is customized for a Pixel 3, however it's easily adaptable for other phones.

Attachments

·
Registered
427 Posts
I don't have an iPhone, I 3D printed myself a solution that holds the phone in a perfect position, and more importantly, lets me plug it in immediately without having to fiddle with it, super convenient.

My solution involves 4 3D printed pieces and I used a piece of metal to hold the "wedge" and the "dock" together.

Here's a couple of images, and if anyone is interested in the SketchUp files, just PM me. Dock is customized for a Pixel 3, however it's easily adaptable for other phones.
Nice solution. I like that you don't have to take up a cup holder space for the unit.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I just went to the Apple store and purchased an iPhone dock. Then I used 3M Command Adhesive strips to mount the dock to the sloped area just below the HVAC control screen, and placed two small rubber bumpers on the bezel just below the HVAC screen to keep the phone from moving side to side. It is setup such that the phone rests on the bezel below the HVAC screen on the top edge of the iPhone. This makes the screen of the phone visible and guarantees the best GPS signal to the phone. Simple to use, does not block the cup holders at all, and uses what is otherwise a pretty much unused area while driving.
But your cable runs all the way from inside the center console (that is if using CarPlay).

·
Registered
31 Posts

I did exactly the same thing. I didn't want to lose any cupholder space and I use CarPlay all the time. I positioned the dock just as you did (a black one) and wired underneath back to the center storage box. Drilled a hole just big enough for a lightning wire in each area. Works perfectly!

·
Registered
2020 HSE
6 Posts
Where did you drill? Do you have pics of your install?

I did exactly the same thing. I didn't want to lose any cupholder space and I use CarPlay all the time. I positioned the dock just as you did (a black one) and wired underneath back to the center storage box. Drilled a hole just big enough for a lightning wire in each area. Works perfectly!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just received the Etsy dock. Clean elegant solution and an easy install. I'm using it with an older iPhone 8 plus, so the application is broader than indicated on the Etsy product page.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I love my I-Pace but found the lack of a dock for recent iPhones a strange omission. However, a family member of mine has started to 3d-print a small, simple dock so that you can use it in the slot between the two cup holders.

It is available on Etsy.

or you can download the 3D model here.

A couple of people (myself included) over on the UK i-pace forums have been testing it and the feedback is good.

Any questions feel free to ask.
Also have this, works superbly, and you still get access to both cupholders if that's your thing.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I just found the dock in a black base on eBay for $18 so decided to try this solution. Still a danm shame JLR didn't provide wireless charging option in this very area... now that would have been perfect for a variety of phone models.
Any tips on routing the charging cable?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts