Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Model X has not only falcon wing doors issue but also front suspension clunking. People getting suspension components replaced often, especially when driving at anything but super low. One of the purposes of getting an SUV, at least for me, is the ride height. Even in urban and suburban situations, hopping up curbs is useful. Can't do that in ultra low all the time.

Buying and M3 is paying for the performance but not the car quality. It's decent looking inside but not luxurious. Fake leather? Meh. I'm not sure it's worth it. I definitely can see buying a 35k M3, but I'm wrestling with the idea of a $79k version as I'd probably order it. At that price range, the iPace is slower but so much nicer and with a nicer service experience.

I'll wait until all the hubbub has died down, when the iPace arrives for my wife, and when the M3 has been through some revising. Maybe it'll have ventilated seats too. Then I can decide what I want. I don't want to buy a car and feel the need to replace it in 2-3 years. I want an EV for the long term.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Model X has not only falcon wing doors issue but also front suspension clunking. People getting suspension components replaced often, especially when driving at anything but super low. One of the purposes of getting an SUV, at least for me, is the ride height. Even in urban and suburban situations, hopping up curbs is useful. Can't do that in ultra low all the time.

Buying and M3 is paying for the performance but not the car quality. It's decent looking inside but not luxurious. Fake leather? Meh. I'm not sure it's worth it. I definitely can see buying a 35k M3, but I'm wrestling with the idea of a $79k version as I'd probably order it. At that price range, the iPace is slower but so much nicer and with a nicer service experience.

I'll wait until all the hubbub has died down, when the iPace arrives for my wife, and when the M3 has been through some revising. Maybe it'll have ventilated seats too. Then I can decide what I want. I don't want to buy a car and feel the need to replace it in 2-3 years. I want an EV for the long term.
Here in Europe the choice is easier. Model 3 is still long away. Model S and x are a lot more expensive. So the ipace is the best choice. (Not considering Tesla's superchargers). But we have more CCS chargers then superchargers. So

I already test drove the ipace 2 times. And I am completely sold. Nice ride. More then fast enough. Very nice interior. And the adaptive cruise with the lane assist is good enough for me as a medium auto pilot.
I am a control freak. So I rather have the steering wheel in my hands ?

·
Registered
309 Posts
The Model 3 has attractive specs and pricing. But I would totally never get one because I find the dashboard, a blank Ikea-style wood strip, combined with the huge control screen off to the side, hideous and repulsive.
I think I could live with the crummy interior, and I could get used to the odd controls. But Tesla service sounds like a nightmare - lots of defects and wait times of months, or even years, for service appointments and replacement parts. Who needs the aggravation?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
My wife's 3 now has 12,000 miles on it. It's never been 'in' for service.

Day 1 Defects:
1. steering wheel had sharp edge. - replaced in her parking lot at work by Tesla Mobile Service (let's see Jag do that)
2. charge port door cover error - fixed same time.

that's it.

MY 2013 Model S: 'in the shop' at LEAST a dozen times in 3 years. If I could go 3 months, it was a miracle.

I'm seriously tempted to throw down the cash on a AWD Perf Mod 3...

I'm not sure if it's the simplicity or that they now have 6+ years of building cars, but it's world better than my 2013 S was.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Yes, it's like sitting on the floor - ok for little kids or short trips only.

Overall the Model 3 is a very well-designed car, with a few strange quirks. The only thing I couldn't get past is the poor service.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
One strange data point. I have not seen 30 Model 3's yet in Southern California AFAIK.

However, I've seen 3 with one burned out running light in the front. Probably a coincidence. It hasn't rained here much if at all in months.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I work in Fremont. Teslas are a dime a dozen. Probably 20+ of my customers own Teslas. Let's see what shape the company is in a year from now. Then I'll consider seriously buying one.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Yeah, expressed similar concerns on the UK but with respect to the SuperCharger network . . . which may become (more widely) available if Tesla starts experiencing liquidity issues.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I live in San Jose, Model 3's are basically the camry's of the Bay Area. Can't go more than a minute or two without seeing one, my office garage has gone from zero to about 20 in three months time. Which is part of the reason I'm a current Jag owner and have an order in for the i-pace--I can't stand driving a car that is so common.

·
Super Moderator
1,952 Posts
BTW, there's yet another review (on Roadshow) of the 3, this one focused on the performance edition, that again laments the challenges of a user interface that can only utilize a single touch-screen

·
Registered
139 Posts
I do wish the ipace could tow. I need to move a trailer every so often, and don't want to have to rent something to do it...
The Europe models can all be ordered with a tow attachment that can tow up to 750 kg / 1650 lbs. Can the US model not be ordered with a tow hook?

Regardless, get yourself an I-Pace. I had little to no experience with EVs before I got mine, both my wife and I love it. The only problem you may end up with is keeping it away from your wife :)

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
When there are enough I-Paces in the USA, the aftermarket will make hitches for it, even if Jaguar won't sell them. Chevrolet does not sell a hitch for a Chevrolet Volt, but we have one.

Today, you'd just have to order the parts through a non-JLR source to put the hitch on the US I-Pace.

Personally, there is not an EV made that would handle my towing needs. Not even close. You want to tow a car trailer and car with a Model X? Good luck with that, even if it doesn't destroy the MX, your charging problems will be severe. You are not going to towing up the Grapevine at 75mph, or to racetracks far from major cities (many are).

Reactions: sgtpeper

·
Registered
521 Posts
I hear this is what Elon is planning for the Model Y:

https://media0.giphy.com/media/xidhYDR9Ewq64/giphy.gif
Might as well.....

Planning - that's a good thing to think about. There's a semi and a new roadster planned. We've seen prototypes of them. So where will they be built? Does Tesla have the capex for these?

So let's jump out with a couple more plans. A pickup and a model Y.

See where this is going?

21 - 38 of 38 Posts