Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After almost 20 months on its original TCU (16.2), my 2020 HSE was upgraded to 19.2 at my last visit, which was for a 22k mile 'checkup' and new set of tires (yes they only lasted 22k mi).

I've since had 3 mornings I discovered the car stopped charging well short of 100% SOC, typically about 81%. If I unplug, start the car, turn it off and re-plug, it resumes charging, but it never exhibited this problem until just recently. I can only suspect it's related to the updated TCU?

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Was it related to a recent TCU upgrade? Version? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
1,044 Posts
Is your charger smart enough to have an app that shows what time of day/night it stopped charging? If so, is it always the same time?

Did the tech sneak in a timed charging period to mess with your mind? :)

TCU software upgrade would not have an influence on the charging. Any other software updates noted on the paperwork? BCCM or BECM?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Stupid question but are you using an app on the phone like Wattcat or MyPace to stop charging at a predefined SOC ? and I guess you are the first owner ? there is no chance that someone else has an app connected to your car (usually former owner) and can play remotely with the car ?

·
Registered
2020 I-PACE SE w/ 22" F-PACE Wheels
154 Posts
Interestingly enough, I recently started having this issue as well. I was able to isolate it to a firmware update for my Chargepoint Home Flex charger that was installed on Jan 23rd. Ever since then, my charging sessions stop and restart roughly every 1-2 hours. Because I have a schedule set on my charger, if I'm charging manually outside of those hours, charging does not restart.
I'm on TCU 19.2, but have been since November. I emailed Chargepoint 4 days ago, but have not received a response. However, I just noticed that a firmware update was pushed to my unit today. In my experience Chargepoint typically doesn't issue firmware updates nearly this frequently, so I'm hoping this one was an out of cycle release to fix this issue.

·
Super Moderator
2,466 Posts
Interestingly enough, I recently started having this issue as well. I was able to isolate it to a firmware update for my Chargepoint Home Flex charger that was installed on Jan 23rd. Ever since then, my charging sessions stop and restart roughly every 1-2 hours. Because I have a schedule set on my charger, if I'm charging manually outside of those hours, charging does not restart.
I'm on TCU 19.2, but have been since November. I emailed Chargepoint 4 days ago, but have not received a response. However, I just noticed that a firmware update was pushed to my unit today. In my experience Chargepoint typically doesn't issue firmware updates nearly this frequently, so I'm hoping this one was an out of cycle release to fix this issue.
The plot thickens! My ChargePoint has also started doing it. Naturally I assumed it was the Kitty, but it's also doing it with my wife's Niro. I will contact ChargePoint too.

Edit: P.s.: My TCU is still 14

·
Registered
221 Posts
The plot thickens! My ChargePoint has also started doing it. Naturally I assumed it was the Kitty, but it's also doing it with my wife's Niro. I will contact ChargePoint too.
I’ve noticed the same issue with my ChargePoint too. Typically does it on overnight scheduled charging. Stops and starts throughout the charging schedule. My TCU has never been updated, which I’m guessing is 14.xx

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have model Chargepoint Model CHP50, and the firmware that was installed early this morning was 5.3.4.30. Previously, 5.3.4.28 was installed on Jan 28th, and the problem started immediately with my next charge session and has happened every session since. I did a full reboot (cut power) to the charger in hopes that would fix it, but it did not. My next step (barring input from tech support) was going to be to try a factory reset on the unit.

I have an active charging session right now that has been going for about 2 hours on the new firmware, and so far haven't experienced any stops. While too early to declare victory, it's an encouraging sign.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I'm still on 5.3.4.25. I'm assuming these firmware updates are automatic and you can't opt out of them? I don't have the issue...as of yet.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I’ve noticed the same issue with my ChargePoint too. Typically does it on overnight scheduled charging. Stops and starts throughout the charging schedule. My TCU has never been updated, which I’m guessing is 14.xx
Update. Just charged this morning for 2 hours without the stop/start issue. ChargePoint software version is now 5.3.4.30

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'm still on 5.3.4.25. I'm assuming these firmware updates are automatic and you can't opt out of them? I don't have the issue...as of yet.
They are automatic and there is no opt-out that I'm aware of.

Update. Just charged this morning for 2 hours without the stop/start issue. ChargePoint software version is now 5.3.4.30
I can confirm the same for me. I charged for 5 hours without an interruption, so it's looking like this new version fixed the issue (y)

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just got back from a long day away (70mi 1 way), so parked and plugged in... anxiously awaiting "Charging" not "Initializing". I'm glad to see from the posts today that this wasn't my imagination, and yes I'm on a ChargePoint Charger that never gave me problems before so I assumed it was the I-Pace. (I realized the Telemetrics probably didn't affect this, but I do thing I got a BEMS update, too). How do I check the firmware version of my Chargepoint home station? App only or can it be done online?

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Now that I think more about it, I wonder if the slowing of charge rate (Jag BEMS initiated) triggers a current detector in Chargepoint that shuts it down? Then again, I got "Initializing" MULTIPLE times last night trying to "restart" the charging process each time. Just checked my Chargepoint charger and I'm on 5.3.4.25. I'll try to update??

·
Registered
154 Posts
Now that I think more about it, I wonder if the slowing of charge rate (Jag BEMS initiated) triggers a current detector in Chargepoint that shuts it down? Then again, I got "Initializing" MULTIPLE times last night trying to "restart" the charging process each time. Just checked my Chargepoint charger and I'm on 5.3.4.25. I'll try to update??
Worth a shot. There's an option to reboot it in the mobile app; perhaps try that in hopes that it checks for new firmware on startup.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
585 Posts
I use a ChargePoint with the same software version and charged last night with no problems whatsoever. Never had a TCU update after purchase.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Now this is getting serious/problematic. No matter what I do I can't get any more charge... got home at 5pm today and every attempt to get started charging results in "Initializing". 23% full with 48 mi on GOM. Took it out for a spin just now, came home, plugged back in. "Initializing" for 15 min and still going, no miles added.

Any ideas welcome. Again, I've driven an I-Pace and used this ChargePoint charger since Dec 2018 - never had anything like this occur. Not sure whether recent I-Pace updates (several weeks ago) or ChargePoint software update is to blame. Now I'll have to take the ICE vehicle in the morning, call dealer Monday. :-(

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
585 Posts
Now this is getting serious/problematic. No matter what I do I can't get any more charge... got home at 5pm today and every attempt to get started charging results in "Initializing". 23% full with 48 mi on GOM. Took it out for a spin just now, came home, plugged back in. "Initializing" for 15 min and still going, no miles added.

Any ideas welcome. Again, I've driven an I-Pace and used this ChargePoint charger since Dec 2018 - never had anything like this occur. Not sure whether recent I-Pace updates (several weeks ago) or ChargePoint software update is to blame. Now I'll have to take the ICE vehicle in the morning, call dealer Monday. :-(
Is the charging port locking on the charging cable? Try removing the cable.

I had issues last year with a broken charging port locking pin. Car never progressed beyond initializing because it could not lock onto the charger.

·
Super Moderator
2,466 Posts
Please dtgsrq, no offense, but have you unplugged your unit (at the power source) and plugged it back in to clear stuff? 🍺
I'm betting it's the unit, not the car. It's definitely disconcerting that it refuses to charge ... we're all waiting for a resolution here, ChargePoint!

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Please dtgsrq, no offense, but have you unplugged your unit (at the power source) and plugged it back in to clear stuff? 🍺
I'm betting it's the unit, not the car. It's definitely disconcerting that it refuses to charge ... we're all waiting for a resolution here, ChargePoint!
No offense taken, thanks for responding and I'll take all the suggestions I can get... but yes, I did try unplugging the Chargepoint unit, twice. Even drove around the block (to reset the system), came back and unplugged, re-plugged, locked, unlocked. I agree I suspect it is ChargePoint, and will take my car to a DCFC station tomorrow if this doesn't resolve, but awoke this morning to a car that had been "Intializing" all night. :-(. FYI, I'm on ChargePoint version 5.3.4.25 - uncertain how to 'advance' my version to 5.3.4.30 ?? (I thought unplugging would do so, it did not.) Borrowing the wife's car today and leaving her with mine, and just 34 mi of charge. :oops:

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
1,044 Posts
Have the wife lock the car and walk away for 1 hour.
Unlock the car with the fob while listening for the charge door to unlock and a similar noise for the charge port actuator to "unlock".
Connect the charger. She should hear the charge port actuator lock the charger to the car. If not, there's a problem (possibly a stuck locking actuator pin).
Wait a few seconds and both the car and charger should indicate charging. If not, it is either the charger or the car (obviously).

Do you know anyone else with an EV and charger? Could you try using their charger to determine if the problem is your charger or the car?

If the car charges with DCFC then the problem is most likely with the Chargepoint charger although some have had rare instances of AC charging failing and DC charging working.

A stuck actuator locking pin might get unstuck with iterations of locking/unlocking the car without the cable attached.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts