Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a new development. If I slow down at city speeds and the turn to the right and accelerate, I get a strange buzzing noise from what sounds like the front left of the car. It sort of sounds like a mechanical noise as opposed to something electrical. It is hard to replicate and often takes me by surprise and then I can’t get it to do it again. This has happened about four times now. Any others experiencing something similar? I know my description is rather lame and you don’t have much to go on. The best way I could describe it is the sound of poorly meshing gears from a very small motor, but please don’t think that I am saying the gears aren’t meshing properly—I am just trying to describe the sound it makes.

Any thoughts out there?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is a new development. If I slow down at city speeds and the turn to the right and accelerate, I get a strange buzzing noise from what sounds like the front left of the car. It sort of sounds like a mechanical noise as opposed to something electrical. It is hard to replicate and often takes me by surprise and then I can’t get it to do it again. This has happened about four times now. Any others experiencing something similar? I know my description is rather lame and you don’t have much to go on. The best way I could describe it is the sound of poorly meshing gears from a very small motor, but please don’t think that I am saying the gears aren’t meshing properly—I am just trying to describe the sound it makes.

Any thoughts out there?
Sorry—one further thing— It is not from rest. If I am rolling a stop sign and tuning right at the same time seems to trigger it, but only periodically.

·
Premium Member
2020 I-Pace HSE Indus Silver
710 Posts
Wasn't there a post a while back, and even included a video where there was a weird noise with making a turn?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I figured out my noise as it appears to be happening more frequently. Every once in a while the sound would come back so I was more attuned to it and I describe it as the sound an automatic transmission makes when you throw it into park on the highway. It makes a crazy ratcheting sound of the gears not meshing properly. Don’t ask me how I know.

Anyhow, It did it one more time as I was backing up at low speed and the car slammed into park and threw a gearbox fault. I turned the car off and on again and it went away. Today I was driving straight down the road and as I was slowing down to about 40km/h in a straight line the ratcheting sound started again. I said to myself, ‘if I slow down too much it is going to throw itself into park again and break something’ so I sped up and went through the intersection and the sound went away.

So anyhow, I figured out that it is the parking pawl trying to engage and the buzzing sound is that pawl being knocked away by the transmission. If you slow down enough then the pawl engages and your car comes to a violent halt.

As I am sure many of you members have figured out by now, this is the ‘Strained Wiring Harness’ bulletin that came out a few months ago. I checked and my vehicle fits within the VIN range so I took it up to the dealer for them to look at as the thought of the transmission locking up in the middle of the road was less than ideal. They took it in right away and within a couple hours called me back to say that yes, indeed this was the case and they have ordered a new harness and I should have my car back by Monday.

Thank God for this forum as I was able to figure out what was going on and avoided a possibly more complex repair if I allowed to it to get worse. A simple short can really screw up an electric car! Lol

Thanks again to all the contributors and keep posting!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My little kitty is still laid up until next week. The dealer expressed surprise in how extensive the disassembly is to remedy the problem. They have to replace the wiring harness from inside the cockpit up to the front somewhere and have to make all the connections to all the related assemblies. They are having the mechanic come in on the weekend to try to finish it up. There are parts all over the place! I hope they took notes...
9544E62C-69C9-4C92-ACB0-0D76C54DB5BA.jpeg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts