Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Mazda RX-8
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had electrician in today to add a 50 amp GFCI breaker, 50 amp rated cable, and Nema 14-50 outlet for my Mustart portable charger. For now, I'm skipping the "smart" wall mounted unit. On the little graphic, this one shows available input power, actual voltage, actual amp draw, actual kW draw, temperature of unit, and last charging time period and kWh provided. I'll keep you posted on any issues I have going forward. For now, I can actually drive the car and recharge in less than two days! :D (y)

I might need to paint that wall after 28 years! :LOL:

·
Registered
2020 S
15 Posts
I recently installed a 50A circuit and the relatively simple AmazonBasics 32A charger. There's no readout or anything on it - it just supplies power. I liked it for the low profile and 25 ft cable, and it makes for a tidy installation. However, if I had understood how poor the scheduling and stuff was with the I-Pace onboard charger I would have paid more for a smarter charger.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Glad you got it installed and aren't limited to the level 1 charging rate. Now you can really put the miles on and still be charged by morning!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Had electrician in today to add a 50 amp GFCI breaker, 50 amp rated cable, and Nema 14-50 outlet for my Mustart portable charger. For now, I'm skipping the "smart" wall mounted unit. On the little graphic, this one shows available input power, actual voltage, actual amp draw, actual kW draw, temperature of unit, and last charging time period and kWh provided. I'll keep you posted on any issues I have going forward. For now, I can actually drive the car and recharge in less than two days! :D (y)

I might need to paint that wall after 28 years! :LOL:
This is the exact same unit that I have as well. No frills charger and works good. It quit within the first few months of use tho, but the manufacturer sent me a replacement unit very quickly.

·
Registered
Mazda RX-8
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I recently installed a 50A circuit and the relatively simple AmazonBasics 32A charger. There's no readout or anything on it - it just supplies power. I liked it for the low profile and 25 ft cable, and it makes for a tidy installation. However, if I had understood how poor the scheduling and stuff was with the I-Pace onboard charger I would have paid more for a smarter charger.
That is something I still have to confirm. Is it my old software or is there no way to set a time window for charging or a maximum charge in the car or phone app? I found a YouTube video, but haven't tried it in the car yet. It also mentions this option in the app, but I have the new app and didn't see that feature in the new version.

·
Registered
2020 S
15 Posts
I'm annoyed that you have to set a departure in order to get the charge window to work. Well, really it only sets a desired start time and seems to use the logic that it will begin charging at your desired time unless it can't reach 100% before your departure. In that case it starts charging earlier so it can completely charge. I'd rather enforce the charge window than ensure the car is at 100% when it thinks I need to leave. It just seems they made something a lot more difficult than it needs to be.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I usually use my 120v charger to charge my Jag most of the time. I use a plugin meter that shows amps and total Kilowatts ( and other info I don't use) of the Jag when charging. I take readings on it once a month at the same time recording my solar panels, car odometers, 240vdc reconditioned house meter for car charging and house electrical meter. I spent some time searching for an extension cable with heavy duty large wall prongs to keep from over heating the connections. No problems with it in 8 years. My wife uses the 240vac unit to charge her BMW X5 40e since it has such a small battery, it needs charging multiple quick times during the day. The Jag gets charged about twice a week with ~60kw. I don't plan on painting my garage walls!
120Vchargersrunk.JPG

1 - 7 of 7 Posts