Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

Inside EV - Model Y vs I-Pace

3K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  sciencegeek 
#1 ·
Interesting comparison. Mostly good breakdown, but this is the summary:

... you might appreciate aspects of Jaguar's interior trimmings, build quality, and driving characteristics. But Tesla's newest offering is simply a better electric car — with convenience, range, and nifty tech features that make Elon Musk's car company so popular.
Personally I think they drastically undersell the build quality and driving enjoyment of the I-Pace. I might be slightly biased, though. :)

Tesla Model Y Performance Vs Jaguar I-Pace: Detailed Comparison

#2 ·
Interesting comparison. Mostly good breakdown, but this is the summary:

Personally I think they drastically undersell the build quality and driving enjoyment of the I-Pace. I might be slightly biased, though. :)

Tesla Model Y Performance Vs Jaguar I-Pace: Detailed Comparison
Typical Tesla fanboy. And I'm not a Tesla detractor. I love what they've done for electric cars. But these fanboys think extra range (debatably useful) and nifty tech is the reason to buy a car? I would think for those that actually enjoy driving a car, interior trimmings, build quality, and driving characteristics would be the first thing they are interested in. And lets not even talk about which car looks better. The Model Y is the ugly red haired step child in that comparison.

#6 ·
I just can't handle a tablet car even if the build quality were better. It's pure fantasy to say the MY is the better "electric car". It's a worse car, how can it be a better "electric car"? ("Tesla's newest offering is simply a better electric car"). Do the goalposts shift where when it's electric the other stuff doesn't matter?

#7 ·
InsideEVs is indeed a Tesla fanboy site, so their findings were no surprise to me.

Objectively, everything they put in the Tesla column, most of which was fair, was only related to long trips.

Everything else that makes a car enjoyable like ride, handling, interior quality & materials, build quality, styling (OK that’s subjective, but how many could honestly say the MY’s styling is nicer, really?) fall into the Jag’s column.

The reviewer is in denial.

#11 ·
Weird that the tesla owners are so fixed on the giant screens/tech that they think giving up a speedometer is a feature. Its unsafe. Only reason to get rid of buttons, instrument cluster is to save money. Tesla markets the spartan look as a feature. Who wants to root around multiple menus to unlock doors, glovebox...

Better efficiency is nice to have for long trips and saving on energy. In 9 months I've not needed to use a DC charger on the road - not my use situation. If I had to commute more than 150km one way I wouldnt buy an Ipace.

Tesla has done great tech things but it shouldnt give them a pass on other aspects of car manufacturing. Imagine someone coming here and saying "I love my ipace even though the bumper fell off".

#13 ·
There is something seductive about just having a huge screen. Combine that with it being an EV, driving itself and created by a genius that lands rockets on a barge. You feel like you are driving the future.
Of course all of that is a complete illusion that I indulged in too

The reality is the screens in the S/X were never made for automobiles which is why there they are going bad, lawsuits piling up (3/Y screens remain to be seen), a mix of buttons and touch screens are a better UX, they released AP as a beta when other OEMs wouldn't risk the liability, lawsuits piling up, other EVs like the Mach E, I-Pace, Taycan, E-Tron, have spectacular EV drive trains, reusable rockets were done in the 60s and were found not be financially viable.
There is a reason no OEM created a Super charging network. Because it a complete money pit. Ford is creating one, but on dealer lots and this is for a reason.
VW was forced to create EA as a punishment. That should tell us something

The Y has many good aspects, but there are alternatives that are like the Mach E, I-Pace.

People that want buy a Tesla, want a Tesla. I don't think there is anyone that has an I-Pace or another EV that hasn't had a Tesla or seriously considered it

#12 ·
For day to day driving, the Model Y efficiency is literally worth pennies a day. To save those pennies, you have to put up with a car with questionable build quality, hot fake leather (I live in Georgia, this is a big deal), a squished in Pekinese snout, and a dashboard that looks like the designer started with the dash out of a Plymouth Volare, removed all the gauges, and mounted a tablet on it. That last one is a bit of an exaggeration, but I really dislike that dash. I think I chose wisely.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.